HybridZ

Thats it, I can't take it any more. Buying a 4cyl..

datsunlover

Ok.. so now the price of REGULAR gas has hit $1.07 a liter up in my neck of the woods.. For most of you guys in the states, that's roughly.. $4+/gallon?!?!?!? Really absurd seeing as it was only $.87/liter 2 weeks ago.. (around $3.20/gallon?, still high as far as I'm conserned) Seams like after Katrina the $ hikes have just kept comming.. and ussualy, with no apparent cause... it's pretty bad that in the short time I've been licenced to drive (11 years) I've seen the price of fuel more than DOUBLE.. :( Not making a politcal statement here, just stating the numbers..

ANYway, my 91 4x4 454 powered dually is just killing me in the fuel department.. and I don't really go anywhere!! (MAYBE 40k a week, around town.) I don't mind paying a bit more to drive the Z (premium only thank you) cause it's a 'toy' but a daily driver has to be a little cheaper. So I'm thinking of 'going back to my roots' and finding a nice mid 90's nissan king cab, preferably 4 cyl/5 speed. I've had 2 king cabs in the past (V6 auto 2wd and a V6 5 speed 4x4) and overall, I think they are excelent trucks.. But I know little about the 4 cyl.. From what I gather, they are fairly stout motors and have decent power for what they are.. Does anyone here have one (or had?) and know roughly the kind of milage you can expect? Or any issues with the 4 cyl I should be aware of/watch out for?

Thanks. :)

Get urself a 2nd gen dodge ram dually with a 12v cummins... I Just got 21mpg City driving! And it has enough power to pull a house.

SURE!! I'll take two please!! Only problem with that, is I forgot to mention I'm in the $3-5k range for price.. not likely to find a Dodge dually THAT cheep!!

I had a 91 Nissan truck. It was short cab, short bed, 4wd, 5 speed, 4 cyl. I loved that truck, tough as nails and could not get it stuck when I tried. Sadly it only got 17-18 mpg, mine was not that good on fuel, maybe something was wrong with mine? You might want to PM 240ztt, I beleive he has one.

I hear ya Matt. I just paid 1.02 this morning. And as you certainly know, I have had to ration my driving due to the gas shortages around here the last few weeks. I have had to wait in line as long as an hour to get gas. Its much better now, but the odd station is still running out.

Glad I drive a Civic. 50mpg is great when gas is this expensive. Heck i can still get mid 40's driving the $hit out of the car. For $3K go buy an older Civic. I know you live in the north, but buy some snow tires and you will be fine. i have had excellent success in the worst storms this season with snow tires on my car. Zero issues.

Gas ain't gonna get cheaper!

Scott

I have had 4 or 5 hardbody nissan trucks. The one I have now is a 93 2wd. I get about 23 mpg combined city/highway driving. I love these trucks. The one I had before this was a 86 1/2 4wd and it got about 20 or so mpg combined. Both 4 cyl. BTW, I like the vg30 but I would take a 4 cyl over the v6 anyday in the truck.

JT

A friend of mine had a 94 Nissan King Cab with the KA24, and I had a 93 Toy with a standard cab and a 22RE. I always got better mileage than him. I put a small cam in mine and 2.25" exhaust and I got 32 mpg averaging 80 mph on a long trip at one point. His was slightly faster though, and the 22RE is not my favorite engine.

Glad I drive a Civic. 50mpg is great when gas is this expensive. Heck i can still get mid 40's driving the $hit out of the car. For $3K go buy an older Civic. I know you live in the north, but buy some snow tires and you will be fine. i have had excellent success in the worst storms this season with snow tires on my car. Zero issues.

Scott, what kind of Civic are you driving that is getting 50mpg? (I'm asking because I want something cheap getting 50mpg!) Between my wife and my in-laws they've had about 5 90-95 Civics in the past few years and the best of them got about 45 mpg (a '94 VX 5-speed). The others all average around 30-35 mpg.

You would think that since you could buy a 30mpg car 30 years ago we would have made a lot more progress by now...

You would think that since you could buy a 30mpg car 30 years ago we would have made a lot more progress by now...

A car that gets 30 mpg today does 0-60 in 8 or 9 seconds, compared to 15 seconds back in the day. It also weighs probably 800 to 1000 lbs more due to our crash safety requirements, and has a much more plush interior.

I have an 02 civic 4dr with an automatic.

I have had a 97 5spdhatchback, my dad has a 96 hatchback auto, and my sis has a 94 hatchback auto. All have gotten pretty good mileage on the highway. The 94 being pretty close to the others. It is lighter, but the auto is not as good.

My 97 hatchback was rated at 49mpg and my dads 96 auto hatchback was rated at 50mpg. Automatics are no longer the underdogs.

I have measured my mileage multiple times, and I keep getting the same basic results with variations only due to the type of driving.

I don't really do the mpg conversion, as everything here is in metric. My car is rated at 5.5 litres per 100km's of distance traveled. I routinely get 5.8 L/100km commuting to work accross the city. I typically drive between 110kph and 120kph, with times going slower and faster depending on the traffic in the city. I keep getting these numbers every time. I got a 5.6 on a very long trip without stopping, and doing the limit, and trying to get good mileage (ie letting the car slow naturally up hills, and letting the car accelerate going down them) etc etc.

I have never measured more than 6.1 Litres/100km with my car.

BTW 5.5 L/100km's is listed on the sales sticker which also read 50mpg highway mileage.

Mileage gets worse above 140kph, and also with the a/c turned on.

I've been extremely happy with the mileage.

Scott

Well, I want better milage than what I'm getting, but I still need a TRUCK... so a civc is definatly out... maybe a VW rabit pickup? :lol: (good luck finding one up here!) The toyota trucks are definatly tough, but my boss's 93 V6 4x4 is kind of a headache (lots of little things going wrong, creaks and groans, the body is returning to nature, ect) and honestly, I can't stand driving it.. the seating position, wheel, and control's layout just doesn't sgree with me, and the shifting is cruddy/notchy. His wifes 4 runner has the 4 cyl and it's a DOG to drive. Doesn't have enough power to get out of it's own way! I have been in a few 4 cyl Nissans and they seam to have a little more 'uhmph' to them... even the autos.. oh, there's another question.. do the 4 cyl Nisan autos have simmilar issues as some of the V6 trucks? My V6 auto was decent, but I sold it at around 160k so who knows? (basicaly they puke out and die if worked/reved out a lot from what I've heard..?)

A car that gets 30 mpg today ... also weighs probably 800 to 1000 lbs more due to our crash safety requirements, and has a much more plush interior.

I've read that as well - in the last 10 years (dont remember the exact # of years but something like that) on average cars have not improved on fuel economy at all despite huge advancements in technology since the cars are so much heavier with gizmo's and crap.

Cameron

Weight is the killer of gas mileage in the new cars. My 79 Ford Fiesta weighed in at something like 1700 #. Try finding anything that weight nowadays.

For fuel mileage:: Mini Cooper Diesel

The Mini One D, according to the company, is capable of running distances of over 600 mi. on one tank, which holds 13.2 gal. Reported fuel consumption is somewhere in the neighborhood of 48.7 mpg in the city and 65.7 on the highway. These numbers make this Mini the most beneficial mpg-wise of all the Mini variants produced by the BMW group.

Although at 75 HP and 133 ft-lbs of torque it has to be an absolute dog. The old Volkswagen Beetles had more oomph.