HybridZ

Time to go Standalone

ZDrifter

Alright some of you may know that I want to go Power Fc. Well its not working out because I cant find a power fc for a series 1 RB25DET. The only way I can get one is to wait 4-8weeks and pay $1,000 strait from Japan:cry2: and in my opinion I dont think its worth it for a discontinued unit thats becoming more and more rare. So here is my question.... I did some searching and went to Haltechs website and their products look very professional and looks like you can do a lot with them. However, for $1300 they are slightly out of my price range. I could wait and go with that set up but I will be starting a fuel and ignition class next week and wanted to be able to go through and tune my car as I go through the class. If I could get any advice from you RB guys on other options other then power fc for my application that would be great. Price range as of now is $800-$1000. But if I cant get anything soon enough for the class then I will read up more on the Haltech and go with them at the start of this summer.... I know its not good to rush but its getting close to that time for tuning so Im getting excited ofcourse!:icon10:

What I want out of the system: Run a map sensor. Be able to have full tuning control over fuel and ignition. Plug and play unit. Base map. Real time tuning would be a defenite advantage.

Mods I will be doing....Greddy intake, gt30 or gt35r (havent decided yet), injectors, new intercooler set up, etc.... so basically bolt on stuff.

I am really interested in this type of work and will hopefully be doing this sort of stuff after school, tuning, diagnostics, driveability, dyno tuning...Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you

Car will be used for Drift, time attack, auto cross, and drag for fun.

i wouldn't bother with the PowerFC for the money it costs.

but lemme ask you, is this the last thing you need at this point? if not, you could try using the money for something else, or if it is, then just save and wait.

get a full unit like a Links or Microtech or even Wolf3D

You cannot do a map setup with a power FC. Unless its D-jetro and you cannot get that for your rb25det. Just the 26dett.

I love my power FC, why would you bother with a non plug and play unit unless you don't have/want the stock harness?

One thing, don't even consider FC unless you are willing to buy fc-datalogit software! Mapping and a good user interface is where its at.

I paid 1200 or so with the datalogit software.

Evan

how about a megasquirt? i picked up mine for less than 300$ with extras (w/ some sensors and harness and cords). if you're taking a fuel/ignition class (is it just a one time class or is it thru a school, like 6 weeks long or something?) it might be a good way to go. i've seen a post or 2 by you about megasquirts, so i know you know it's there. i just got one from a friend, ms1 v2.2 with 18x18 ve tables (it's the newest update of the firmware). mine is setup with the normal board and a flyback daughter board for low-z injectors. i've got 65# injectors and a jgy fuel rail on it's way. a walbro 255 hp is already on the car ... i'm waiting for my stim board to arrive along w/ the wideband too. in about a week i'll have it setup on the stim board testing it. if it works out well there i'll put it on the car and be tuning. i have the ability to add spark control later down the line if i want at this point my goals are to get the car running again and go from there. i had my stock rb25 running a few weeks ago before i changed the intake plenum and added a huge fmic.

if you have questions about setup/tuning i'll be doing it at the same time along with you and we can help each other thru it ... and there are boards that have thousands of answerd questions on them reguarding every topic.

fmic1.jpg

I was thinking about going with megasquirt but my Z is my daily driver...YES DAILY DRIVER!! I want a plug and play unit so I dont have to have my car down for a good amount of time. I found a dealer that can get me a FC here in a weeks time and for a fairly good price.. Im not gonna push the time anymore its not worth it. I want to get this next so I have full control over my engine and I want to know whats going on. Im more concerned about getting my engine running perfectly before looks. I could get my front air dam, 240 bumpers, and a full seal kit for the price of a ECU but having my car as a daily driver I want to be able to have software to see how my engine is running. I have heard a lot of good things about the FC and I will be getting the datalogit software soon after I get the ECU installed.

I've really enjoyed my Tec2 - it comes with all the features you want, and can be bought under $1000 on eBay. The only thing is that it's no longer in production (Tec3 now) so you'd have to find it used somewhere - but it's a great standalone.

In your situation, I would second the Megasquirt n Spark. I was introduced to it a year ago on a different Z, and found it was pretty easy to tune, and the cost speaks for itself.

currently the ignition is stock. i dont konw if you saw the dates of those posts, but i only just got my MS and parts in this week. i got the MS working on the stim board last night, which was pretty fun. i can watch the pulse width and duty cycle in real time as i sit there and adjust the potientometers for the various inputs. i'm going to test it out more tonite and plan to have it on the car tomorrow or saturday. it's a stock rb25 except for the intake and fuel system. i had it running/idleing a few weeks ago, and then started changing out parts. only bad part is that my stock hood hinges dont clear my 3" intake pipes so i had to take them off ... i'll have to use hood pins or something ... everything else fits thou ...