HybridZ

New headlight conversions for 240,260,280Z's

chepito

I want to see the different headlight conversion modifications people have done to thier 240Z, 260Z, 280Z's. I was thinking of fabricating the headlight housing to make this Porsche headlight fit.

43.jpg

If you guys can show cars that have other headlight conversions so we can all see the different options there are. I'l start with this one I found I just don't know the headlights used.

74datsun.jpg

yeah porsche lights moulded into the headlight buckets so they are still recessed a bit would b sexy, no idea how the shape follows or anything, but i've thought about this, but i'm yet to come across some headlights cheap lol, but i'm not really looking either...

the other similiar ones would b beetle and mini, and i guess u could always try the outside circle from a c-class merc, although they are probably on to much of an angle

It seems there is a problem with mounting complex headlights into the S-30 240/260/280Z cars.

1.There is very little room for hardware behind the headlight bucket. Lenses and electronics must be divorced from the lights.(or pushed out into the front of the headlight bucket)

2. The area is directly sprayed by the tire with water and mud. There is really no protection from water and debris from ANY angle. If you go through a puddle... your HID lights are SOAKED with high velocity torrents of water.

I am waiting for something that can be packaged within the confines of an original PAR bulb and will actually outperform the sealed types available today. I would consider a drop in power requirements a significant improvement even if the light pattern is not significantly improved.

Most of the guys I have read up on with these conversions in older cars have problems keeping dirt and water out of the modified light housings. Many of them come with bulky lense, motor, and electronic assemblies that must be divorced and then repackaged and relocated.

I consider these light upgrade to be street-mods. If I am building a race car I would not want all the added weight and complexity of these lights. If I was to use them on the street then they would have to work in the rain.

It makes no sense from an engineering perspective to try to improve the lighting while making it unreliable in the process.

I have looked into several options over the past few years.

I want to see the different headlight conversion modifications people have done to thier 240Z, 260Z, 280Z's. I was thinking of fabricating the headlight housing to make this Porsche headlight fit.

43.jpg

If you guys can show cars that have other headlight conversions so we can all see the different options there are. I'l start with this one I found I just don't know the headlights used.

74datsun.jpg

I think they are Ford ZX2 parts if I were to guess...........

I always kind of liked this idea,minus the paint job of course.

http://www.reactionresearch.com/280yz/projectorlights.html[url=http://www.reactionresearch.com/280yz/projectorlights.html][/url]

those flames are nicely done!

i've been thinking of retro-ing an HID setup. like was mentioned before, sealing them is the hard part. what about those rubber caps that go over newer cars' bulb areas? finding one that would seal that area shouldn't be too difficult. also, the biggest part would be the ballasts (unless it's going to be a bi-xenon design... meaning that the bulb area would be pretty large for bi-xenon, too) and the ballast could be sealed separately.

in regards to sealing hid's has anyone seen the pictures of the lights on submerged in water? i remember reading something about it once, i think how stupid it is to do...

mine are not sealed very well at all, minimal amount of dust/condensation gets into the headlights, however once they woudlnt turn on and found it to be as water was shorting the connectors on the back of the bulb :s

since then i have made a quality inner fender out an old folder and i havn't had a problem since, i'm concidering getting it made out of sheet metal or getting someone to weld a larger sphere onto the back of the headlight metal bracket thing.

i think the best thing to do would be to get headlight covers and mount the projector halfway down the bucket and mould it in and paint it all black, and mayb a reflector next to it (or another projector, but flashing hid's is a bad idea...). the honda tsx headlights i think would b perfect for this as they are already grouped close to each other and you could make it look quite nice, like what a db9/z8/mazerati etc have

however since i like the headlight buckets without the covers i think the porsche (997?) headlights would be great, depending what sort of angle they need to sit on, and if they are even the right diameter etc, i didn't look into it that far due to money. the depth i dont think is that big an issue as you could just make up a really good inner fender, and the projector is high up in the lights and if you mounted the top of hte light flush the base would sit foward into the bucket a fair bit so there should be room? not that i've looked into it that much...what about bug eye'd wrx lights?

thanks justin...thats my car lol

and the halogen look fine, just u can't see anything with them :D plus having clear lenses makes ur car look heaps newer/cleaner, yet alone crisp white light at night. its best money i've spent on my car so far, just the urge for better lights again is still there...

in regards to sealing hid's has anyone seen the pictures of the lights on submerged in water?

I use HID lights to shoot underwater video. My light are very bright but not near bright enough to be used as head lights. Making them waterproof is not hard, its the water pressure at 130 feet you have to worry about, its over 5 atmospheres I've seen home made light housings crush at that depth.

That being said it would be possible to one of use these HID options.

http://www.fashtek.com/?gclid=CPKN_vPx6okCFRE9FQodgASRKg

Yes, and they sold on ebay last year. I was almost going to buy them for an incredibly inflated price of over $300...

Davy

I was the last person to sell those exact same buckets. They weren't all that great to me once I bought them myself, off ebay.

When I bought them, they were sold with lights. Problem is, the light holes in the buckets are round. The lights that came with the buckets when I bought them, were slightly oblong. They were not the lights that were installed into the buckets in that pic shown.

I ended up selling the buckets only to recoup my money back, and still have the two pairs of halogen lights that came with the buckets.

I've made up my own HID set up out of BMW oem HID's, I just haven't got around to installing them yet (along with a ton of other parts I have waiting for me to make a move on :redface:).

Here is what mine kinda look like >> http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=634007&postcount=58