HybridZ

who's the fastest street driven Z car...

240zprace

i agree with scottie...

i drive my car at least 50-70 miles per day to get to school and back...

not to mention trips to florida, savannah, helen....blah blah.

its my only car, and my only source of driving!!!! so far, the past two years, ive put 26k miles on the new odometer!!!!

and its pretty fast too.....low 13's on an NA l28 :wink:

i agree with scottie...

i drive my car at least 50-70 miles per day to get to school and back...

not to mention trips to florida, savannah, helen....blah blah.

its my only car, and my only source of driving!!!! so far, the past two years, ive put 26k miles on the new odometer!!!!

and its pretty fast too.....low 13's on an NA l28 :wink:

Low 13s? lets see the slip. :)

This is not a Z by any means but I thought it would fit into this thread nicely... http://electrogeek.com/blog/2007/05/08/worlds-fastest-street-legal-car-runs-zero-to-60-in-1-second/

By the way it is not much faster than Zgad.

Dragonfly

Here's the specs:

http://www.mavericksolutions.co.uk/websites/redvictor1racing.co.uk/TECH.HTM

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I have to add my own car to the mix. I drive it to work (14 miles each way) on nearly every nice day. If it is hot, I turn on the working and COLD A/C. If it is raining, snowing or threatening.... it stays in the garage. Check the videos in my signature. I know it is not a record setter for speed in the 1/4 but I truly drive it on a regular basis. (3 days last week to work, every day this week so far... and whenever I go to get groceries :-) )

Jody

Well looking at signature times it looks like Ripz now is the fastest street car with Zgad coming in a close seconds.

Not sure if mine will have plates on it any time soon but I'm hoping to be in the mix in a month or 2 :> driving to the track round trip is about 90 miles.

There is a big difference between "street legal" and "street driven".

Great post, just snipped for space.

I personally hate how people talk about "street legal"... what a bunch of smoke. First off, all states are different, and I guarentee you all those 600+hp "street legal" cars in the Summit catalog wouldn't be near legal in california, and very few states would consider them legal if they had to pass a smog inspection (not a test, just an inspection).

So some people think that just because they get the DMV to give them plates then that makes then "street legal". The term is so convoluted that's it's almost pointless to even reconize.

When I think "street car" I mean it's a certified grocery getter. And if A/C is required to make that then I guess my 14 sec 280Z doesn't quality... I personally don't care if a car as A/C or not to be a street car, because A/C isn't really all that needed in some areas of the world. My car also doesn't have interior, and it's noisy, and smells of gas after fillup... So am I now not a street car? Maybe by some standards. But I drive my car 60 miles a day and I like it just fine.

To me it's more about what an owner is willing to put up with for the sake of driving the car. The guys out there with 2000hp "street cars" don't take them out very often because they're not particularly fun on the street and are kind of a pain to deal with. If the owner is willing to drive his car multiple times a week just for the sake of recreation, not just proving the fact he can drive it on the street, then I'd call it a street car.

I know my definition isn't really thread changing, but it's how I've always seen the term "street" car. I know and have met guys that drive cars on the street with 1000+hp, and I think they're insane on some level. But they rotinely go out and race their cars on the street and track and love every moment of it. If Z-Gad drives his car for the pure joy of driving it around, then he can call it a street car imo.

Thus far we've been primarly concerned with drag times, which though extremely relevant I'm sure, isn't the main focus for a lot of us here on the boards. If we want to talk about best lap times at certain tracks, cars like JohnC's "rust old datsun" can start to look like pretty great performers despite having less than 1/2 the power of many cars on this board.

Some good points and your entitled to your opinion.

In my opinion, as long as the car fully complies with local laws reagrding it being road legal and the car can and does get driven long distances on the street without over heating or similar issues, if it has apholstered seats, full interior, original dash and guages, all window glass, all steel panels or original body work, full exhaust with muffler etc then, to me, that is a true street car.

If that same car then goes to the strip and does not remove any street equipment, (but possibly adds safety equipment to comply with racing rules) runs on the same street tyres as it is road legal with, runs with full exhaust and muffler, full interior, basicly everything it would have when on the street, then that to me is car that can claim a record as a true street car running "X" time

In our 240z we adjust the rear tyre pressures only, thats it, everything else stays exactly as is does when driven on the street, IMO, that is a true street car racing at the drags.

Rob

Well unfortunately here in california, USA, changing any of these parts would constitute the car not being street legal:

Cylinder head

Intake

Exhaust

Fuel Pump

Fuel Injectors

ECU

Retuning the ECU

Turbocharger

Supercharger

Pistons

Crankshaft

Camshaft

etc

Changing boost levels is illegal. Adding a turbo to a non-turbo engine unless certified by the C.A.R.B. is illegal, and few are certified.

Any engine swap as long as the motor was found from a production vehicle in the USA from a newer vehiciel in the same weight class is legal. You must retain all the smog systems of the engine in order to maintain legal status.

So hopefully you can begin to see that by your definition you'd be extremely lucky to ever see a "street car" Z do more than a 11 in the quarter mile. We're basically talking about BONE STOCK motors here. You get next to no modification before you're no longer a "street" car as it's illegal.

That doesn't stop people around here from doing illegal modifications though...

Based on what your saying, you guys really have no fast true street cars then.

That sux big time for you guys.

In NZ, as long as we keep the car safe and comply with some basic rules we can do pretty much whatever we want and get them road legal.

Rob