HybridZ

My Wicked Engine Rebuild Plans are Progressing! Lots of New Mods...PICS!

Guest 280ZForce

Guest 280ZForce
Such a nice setup and you skimp on the oil filter. Use the WIX brand or the NAPA Gold. You can also use the K&N, but it is just more expensive. FRAM blows!

LOL... the fram is there just for the engine break in period (once I get her running), then it's off to the good stuff.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The manifold I was lucky enough to get ahold of off a member on here who decided to go w/ a different engine

So what your saying is Im going to have to wait till you decide that you realy want to put a newer engine in your car before I can snatch it off you?

Dammit, looks like im never getting one. HA.

Guest 280ZForce
Looks really nice.

One question, what are the marks on the Cyl Walls for? To ref where you measured the bore?

That's a good question, but I'm pretty sure those are marks just to measure the bore as you stated.

Guest 280ZForce
you are my new row model. any vids yet? really, what do you do for a living? if you don't mind me asking

Not yet, I'm working on fabbing my down pipe w/ 4" piping tonight and tomorrow, I had some delays on getting a 4" v-band flange. Then I have some other things I need to get done, just has been a process. And I'm fabricating and everything for the 1st time, so it's all been a lot to take in and learn all at once.

LOL...about what I do...well the last year I've been on disability and then the last few months on unemployment :eek::cuss::eek::fmad:

Wow, that looks amazing. Is this intended to be drivin on the street? if so, how are you gonna get away with tint that dark in cali?

Yes, this car is my DD :-D I've been borrowing a car while this has been happening though.

The tint I had done not long after I bought the car a few years ago and no problems yet. Sh*t, I used to run open down pipe in some super law enforced areas and even sat next to some cops at stop lights and passed them and it was really loud (like a v8 rumble but on crack), and they would just look at me and go on for some reason lol. Got lucky I suppose.

That looks freaking great. Too bad the head makes it so your intake runners are right next to your really hot exhaust manifold. Probly barely makes any difference but it still makes me sad.

I have the turbo manifold and turbo ceramic coated, so I'm hoping that helps tame things a lot.

I have the turbo manifold and turbo ceramic coated, so I'm hoping that helps tame things a lot.

I think you'll still want to put a heat shield of some sort between the intake and exhaust, especially since the intake is powdercoated black (more heat transfer). You could just fab a simple sheet of aluminum and maybe wrap it in a heat barrier mat, like the stuff you can get from Thermotec for wrapping turbos. I know that will block the view of that very nice looking exhaust manifold, but it will make a difference.

I think you'll still want to put a heat shield of some sort between the intake and exhaust, especially since the intake is powdercoated black (more heat transfer). You could just fab a simple sheet of aluminum and maybe wrap it in a heat barrier mat, like the stuff you can get from Thermotec for wrapping turbos. I know that will block the view of that very nice looking exhaust manifold, but it will make a difference.

Didn't we just come to the conclusion that the color of the intake manifold only matters if that intake manifold is being exposed to heat in the visible spectrum?

Not trying to be an ass, I only pose it as a question because I cannot recall whether it was hybridz or my Subaru forum where it came up.. The only effect any coloration of an intake manifold can have on its heat conductivity is basically the insulating qualities of the material used to coat it.. for instance, a thick coat of white paint might, in fact, result in lower intake temperatures.. but that is from the thick coat of paint. The fact that the paint is white has virtually no bearing (practically speaking) on anything at all.

Dark pigments absorb heat in the visible spectrum, light colors reflect heat in the visible spectrum. Outside of the visible spectrum, coloration has no impact whatsoever. The pigment ITSELF might have some slight change, but "slight" is an understatement.

All that being said, a heat shield is never a bad idea on our beloved, non-crossflow heads.

That conversation about color of intake manifold was here, and there wasn't really a consensus. My opinion is there will be an effect but it may not be noticeable.

Any kind of radiated heat will be reflected by a white color and absorbed by a dark color (This is a huge generalization, it also has to do with the properties of the material). The light does not have to be in the visible spectrum, visible light is a very small part of the spectrum of light.

The wavelength of light radiated by an object is dependant on the heat of the object. The temperature of a human body is such that the light radiated will be mostly in the infrared spectrum. This is why IR goggles allow you to see the heat radiated by a person. The temperature of the sun means that the radiated energy peaks in the visible range. There is nothing special about infrared light that means heat. Its just that the shape of the black body spectrum means that almost anything which radiates energy will radiate some of it in the IR range.

Blackbody radiation curve: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body

A reflective coating on the underside of an intake manifold will keep the temperature down. The only way that you could find out if it is noticeable is by testing. I think that a heat shield would accomplish the same effect and would actually work better. The aluminum will reflect the heat from the exhaust manifold and will also limit the heat transfer due to convection. Also the aluminum will have a low emmisivity and so wont radiate as much heat as the exhaust manifold will.

I would think that a simple piece of aluminum or steel sheeting mounted to the bottom of the intake manifold could have a huge effect on the temperature of manifold. Mounting it to the exhuast manifold would have very little effect because it would just heat up as the exhaust temperatures rise.

Dark pigments absorb heat in the visible spectrum, light colors reflect heat in the visible spectrum. Outside of the visible spectrum, coloration has no impact whatsoever. The pigment ITSELF might have some slight change, but "slight" is an understatement.

That is wrong, I just noticed that you said that. Why do you think that the solar water heaters are coated in black. They are meant to absorb all of the energy possible from the sun. This includes IR light and UV light. Both of which are affected by the color of a coating. Light is light, if the wavelength is such that it wont pass through the object than the color will dictate much of the reflectivity.