HybridZ

a v8 conversion for senior project?

Guest Rsxtypeslow

Guest Rsxtypeslow

Ive been on this forums for like 4-5 days and have been researching my ass off. I was planning on doing a 240z,260z,280z v8 conversion in the future but i just had a idea to do it for my senior project. Im only 17 years old and currently a junior almost a senior. Im thinking about putting in a sbc like an lt1 or ls1 but idk what tranny to get? ive read a t-5 or an t-56 transmission but i dont know exactly what they are? and what other parts would i need for the conversion. can any1 give me usefull info and is it possible to do a conversion under $5,000 ?

i know u guys might say go search. yes i know im will be searching for answers infos but right now i need some options or suggestions because i only have a short time to decide

thanks for reading!

i am in the same situation you are in right now and i live in stockton too..but i am not going to do a v8 conversion in my Z. i am just going to go tear down my dads 396 and put it back together. What high school you go to?

OK first off you don't know what transmission or the difference between a T-56 and a T-5.... and you want to build a car, a Z, with a V-8.

Do you have automotive knowledge?

Do you have any fabrication skills, welding etc?

Do you have tools?

Do you have a dedicated work space for the car?

As stated 1001+ times yes you need to search/research further. You should order the JTR manual from....JTR or Jags that Run.

Not trying to flame you but you really need to put some serious time and thought into this type project, it's not just drop it in and run esp with and EFI engine. Check the link of members projects you'll learn a lot there by looking at the pics.

A t-5 tranny is a 5 speed transmission that resided behind a 305 in the third gen camaros and TA's a t-56 is a 6 speed transmission that backs up either an LT-1 or LS-1, auto also avaliable.

Not trying to discourage you but go read.

Good Luck and let us tackle your tough questions!!!!

i couldn't agree with dsommer more... dedicate a few hours to browsing the boards/member projects and you'll learn alot of what goes into the cars.

do you already have the car?

do you have a donor, or are you piecing your drivetrain together?

have you ever done anything like this before?

do you have the proper space and equipment for the task?

not to put you down but you really need to ask yourself theese kinds of questions before you jump into a project like this. as for the budget... i'm not much older than you and i've learned the hardway that budgets are just starting places... you end up sucking it up and moving on. don't skimp out on the stuff you need, it also helps to lay out how much you have for each part. if you're new to engine swaps etc. i would recommend an earlier gen V8 than a LTI or LS1 that adds alot of complexeties to the whole thing. you can PM me at any time and i'll offer you any thing i can, the people here will do all they can to help you. welcome to the board.

gijonas you're one to talk about butchering them, i still can't get that gorgeous wide body you're doing out of my head!!!! ...speaking of i think i'm gunna head over to that post and see if there's anything new on that!

Rsxtypesslow; honestly man you said you're currently a junior? pickup the JTR manual and read it over the summer, it's a fantastic source of information.

gijonas you're one to talk about butchering them, i still can't get that gorgeous wide body you're doing out of my head!!!! ...speaking of i think i'm gunna head over to that post and see if there's anything new on that

Rofl!! i thought of that too while making that post.All i can say is do as i say not as i do lol.

You won't get a conversion done for under $5K. And if I were you, I'd go here: http://www.jagsthatrun.com and buy their 240-280Z install manual first, and then get their LT4 Install manual and read it. Don't spend a dime on anything else until you've bought and read those two books cover to cover 10 times. That's your "summer" project. Then come back with your list of questions... But remember, TEN TIMES cover to cover FIRST.

Welcome, and good luck.

Mike

Ive been on this forums for like 4-5 days and have been researching my ass off. I was planning on doing a 240z,260z,280z v8 conversion in the future but i just had a idea to do it for my senior project. Im only 17 years old and currently a junior almost a senior. Im thinking about putting in a sbc like an lt1 or ls1 but idk what tranny to get? ive read a t-5 or an t-56 transmission but i dont know exactly what they are? and what other parts would i need for the conversion. can any1 give me usefull info and is it possible to do a conversion under $5,000 ?

i know u guys might say go search. yes i know im will be searching for answers infos but right now i need some options or suggestions because i only have a short time to decide

thanks for reading!

thanks for reading!

While I admire your willingness to take on a project like this at your age you must be aware its not a simple bolt in swap. I am quite a bit older than you and while not a mechanical or fabricating wizard I have tinkered with cars all my life, built and raced a few. I am now in my 4th month of my 280Z LT1 swap and have yet to attempt to start the engine. Someone once said about hot rod projects "Make budget and a time schedule. Then double that budget and triple that time schedule and you'll be close". It’s the little things that take the most time. Dropping the engine and transmission in is pretty easy, getting everything else right take an amazing about of time and money. My advice is pretty much what everyone else is saying. Get the JTR manuals, read and totally understand them before turning any wrenches. Buy a running donor car for your engine and transmission, that will save you major headaches down the road. I was able to pick up a wrecked but drivable '94 Z28 for $1500. You can sell off much of the donor car and end up with a free drive train. Get a good Z to start with, if you buy a rust bucket you will spend major money and time before you can even start the engine swap. Do it right, do it safe and don't get crazy on the "while I'm at it stuff" trust me on that one. Get the basic mechanical stuff done and sorted out, the bling can come later. Most of all have fun, this can get frustrating at times but it’s a blast and the results if done right will be awesome. We'll be here if you need help, this board is very helpful.

It sounds like a better project might be a detailed Cost-Benefit analysis of doing the engine swap, referring to the JTR manuals, forum content, list of potential gotcha's, etc. I'd be interested in seeing that. Umm wait a minute ... I probably shouldn't :icon52:

Do the smart thing and profit from someone else’s hard work.

Buy a Z already V8 converted. It is very sad how cheap most our hybrid cars sell for after so much time and money being spent. Around 50 cents on the dollar in most cases, not to mention the time factor. A true deal. 5 or 6 grand should get you something that runs and drives "ok". Don't worry there will be plenty of issues with the car for your senior projects, and you will still have something that drives. That's huge. Being on jacks for a year at a time is not fun. In the end you have spent WAY less money and time for the level of car you end up with. Document this senario to your teachers and you will get an A for automaticly being wiser.

So what part of this is going to be the senior project and what exactly is required for it? If I were you, I'd keep the L6 for a while. If it needs it, rebuild that and use the rest of the money you'd have spent on the V8 conversion on suspension, breaks, tires, etc. It's going to kill you to not be able to drive the car while it's under the knife for the V8 transplant. The ONLY reason I'm saying this is I am 18 and I'm just about done with a SBC swap in my 280zx. I've had the car for a year and a half but have only drove it twice. Every time I look at the thing I want to drive it so bad it almost hurts. If you do, for what ever reason, go with a V8 swap go carb'd. It's SO much simpler and a good starting point if you don't have much/any automotive experience. Having (almost) completed my swap, I now feel confidant that I could do a LT1 or LSx swap. The wiring on the SBC swap scared the bejesus out of me untill I found a full schematic diagram and sat down and traced all the wires out. After understanding the bigger picture the rest was a peice of cake.

I don't know if any of that makes sense, but basically I'm trying to say "Not saying you can't, just saying I wouldn't" but whatever, that's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Ben

Guest Rsxtypeslow

Thanks for the help guys!! i apreciate it! im definately gonna go buy the JTR manual. Yea i have no experience at all in doing a engine swap or transmission i know its impossible for me to do it. I dont even have the right tools for an engine swap. I was thinking about getting the engine, transmission, and other stuff that is needed to run the car to get them professionally installed.oh yea and i have to put like 15 hours of work into the car so Im thinking about probably stripping the whole interior and then sell the interior peices, keep in mind this car is not gonna be a daily driver.

Now that makes no sense at all. You're going to "farm out" the work on your senior project:confused:

You may want to save your $$$ to have somebody write your papers in college.

I really feel you've taken decent idea for a senior project and gone the wrong way with it.

A project is an undertaking that is worked on by you, and maybe some help from friends but bringing in a professional, no. Plus your 5K budget is GONE now.

Get the JTR manual and go from there.

Good luck!!!

if anyone can build a lt1 when school starts and ends and have the car running with everything wired and running perfect on a fi sbc, i give them hella props...that means you will have the drop all of your other classes and dedicate all your work into the one and only class your building the z for because im sure at 17 building a nice running z car yourself and going to school and $$ and reading and studying and doing homework and all that other stuff, your z wont be done until your in college or continuation like me...lol....yeah, too much car loving caused me to fall back to continuation school back in high school years...

after reading your last post, not to be flaming or anything, but it looks like your starting to dream....no swaping expierence, no tools, only 5k budget....at least 15 hours into the project??? i dont know what to say...

the pride in building a v8 z car is building it yourself, or at least help the person builing it build it. put your hands on it, get dirty, and make it work. paying someone else to do the job leaves you hanging when thers a problem with the car, you wont know how its wired, where are the wires leading to, which is which and what is what...meaning everytime somethings up, your going in digging for the solution saying to yourself you should of wired it yourself, then you would of know what the problem is. someone asks you what do you have under the hood, ask you questions you cant anser, dont be a fool...15 hours is not even enough to learn 1/8 of the lt1/ls1 swap...

i say go carb...if you dont think you can do a carb swap, do not even attemp the lt1/ls1 swap, youll hate yourself...i dedicated half of my days into the lt1/t56 swap a year ago with hours and hours on this board, my lt1 still isnt running right....and believe it or not, im starting to hate myself..hahaha. lol...j/k..were here to help, just search and the anser is somewhere on here..

if anyone can build a lt1 when school starts and ends and have the car running with everything wired and running perfect on a fi sbc, i give them hella props...that means you will have the drop all of your other classes and dedicate all your work into the one and only class your building the z for because im sure at 17 building a nice running z car yourself and going to school and $$ and reading and studying and doing homework and all that other stuff, your z wont be done until your in college or continuation like me...lol....yeah, too much car loving caused me to fall back to continuation school back in high school years.....

i was thinking the exact same thing haha. like everyone, including myself, have said go for it but stick with the easier engines. maybe instead of doing the swap for your project, since you're underequpied and unexperienced, why not build the engine? 5k for a well built SBC is not unreasonable, dig around the boards here for performance information on the parts combinations and build the engine!!! you can get chilton's manuals that detail the assembly of a SBC start to finish, i've known guys with no experience that rebuilt their engines using theese manuals!! you can also get some great performance out of the L6, especially with all the suspension mods you could do with the money. so the choice is yours and there's alot of good ideas floating around here, DON'T LOSE HOPE.

Guest Rsxtypeslow

Thanks for the advice peeps! Okay now i guess im gonna go the easier route and go carb. ive been looking around the internet for crate engines and i found some at CrateEngineDepot.com are these the carb engines u guys are talking about that would be easier for me to install with help from dad?Does anyone know any reliable sites that sells carb engines?