HybridZ

SMART car, anybody own one?

Pop N Wood

smart_car.jpg

Anybody here own a SMART car? Suppose to be coming to the states next year. A little pricey but at 79 mpg it might work as a commuter car.

I have already thought about the safety thing. What I am wondering about is what are they like to drive in the real world? Specifically, what they are like for someone 6' 250 pounds, how are they in snow and what kind of reliability/maintenance headaches are they? I have read the defrosters suck but haven't read anything about the AC.

At 0-60 in 22 seconds I figure it won't be a free way car (at least not without a LONG entrance ramp).

The only reason I wouldnt daily drive one of those is because of the giant vehicle and careless drive habits in the US. If everyone had a vehicle that was approximately that weight, I would drive one, no problem....of course I would make it into a HybridS....something involving my old L28 motor. :wink:

• Administrators

Pop,

I *thought* I saw them for sale at a nearby dealership about a month ago. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure how I could mistake identifying a car of its... um... high profile :wink:

Guest 280ZForce

They have some companies that already sell these in the US... I've seen a few around town as well as some other places.

yup, there's a couple of these around town. Two are plastered with local company stickers, so they're mainly used because they're eye-catching at the moment. Still, I've seen three or four in the area that are for personal use.

• Administrators
Do the ultimate Hybridizing to it...Busa Style...

YEAH!!!! I'll take 2, they're small.

I Saw another clip of that car beating a Ferrari 430 at the strip. Claims low 12 second 1/4 mile.

smart cars are great if you live in a large and dense city where you dont really need to see any highway time. While some people in Europe use them as their only transport, they have been banned on some highspeed motorways.

I've driven a Smart forfour and must say they are really nice, fun, and zippy enough to get out of its own way.

As far as saftey is concerned, check out youtube for the smartcar crash test....it does surprisingly well, the occupants however...... :lol:

Guest TeamNissan

I would and WILL take a roadster in a hearbeat. I think it has way more potential for hybriding and to me it looks pretty nice.

I always like small cars with that go cart feel, awd mazdas and old minis lol. You can just flip them all over the place.

The Smart coming to America, officially that is, is the fortwo [sp?]. Fifth Gear did a piece on it, longer wheel base helps on the highway, but it is a bit longer so that the parking nose towards the curb doesn't work in the UK. Parking spaces in the US might be a bit larger on average though . . . . :D

For a heavy commute area, like LA or the Bay Area, I imagine the Smart would rule. For a cross country trip though, I'd take something with more room and comfort. If I ever get stuck in a large metro area, sign me up for one !! Unless Chevy volt doens't get going by that time of course, with that 40K battery priced down to the 2K that it needs to hit lol

When it comes to safety I figure it is much more safe than a motorcycle or scooter. I'm a little surprised. I would have thought someone would have brought up the word Humvee by now.

This site lists the 3 models they intend to market in the US. $12K to $17K. Seems like a lot for a diesel powered golf cart.

One line says the length of the car is about the same as the width of a full sized pickup

My work commute is only 10 miles through suburban roads. An occasional freeway jaunt to get from one place to another. There is always the family minivan or Z if I want to go somewhere farther or faster.

I am a little worried about reliability with all the electronics. 4 air bars, computer controlled everything. They say it doesn't allow the driver to turn off the stability control or ABS, so doing donuts in the snow would require some manual reprogamming.

Maybe I can get the state to give me tax credits to build my own bio diesel distillery in my back yard. I don’t think I would go through a tank of fuel a month (8 gallons). I could become energy self sufficient.

I wonder if they have a lawn mower attachments for that thing…..

Plus, that car would be a chick magnet.