HybridZ

6speed behind a L6

gjc5500

The S15 6-speed (SR) isn't what you think it is...it's actually weaker than the 5 speed it replaced & the 6th gear is the same ratio as 5th in the older 5-speeds, very close to the ZX 5th gear, so not worth it really, other than having the close ratio nature of the 6-speed. You'll just be shifting more with it...

So what would be the swap possibilities if i changed to a custom driveline?

Yes you can put a 6 speed in your Z if you have the bellhousing and driveshaft work done. If you go custom you can have pretty much any 6 speed you want. John Coffey even recommended a shop that has adapted different transmissions. If you have another question ask it, but I think we're starting to cover the same ground again here.

I'm with the others who don't see the point, but if that's what you want to spend your money on, go for it.

Im looking to do it because i want to use the car at the track, but at the same time, use it on the street and get decent milage. i want short gears for good acceleration, but tall 6th gear so i have good top end and ability to cruise at freeway speeds w/o being above 3k.

honestly, the gains on either side are not that great. if you are going it for cruising/fuel economy, then you are going to spend WAY more on the tranny swap than you will save if you switch out the tranny. if you go with a decent 5 speed you will get a better result, since if you autoX you won't waste time shifting. IMHO

I need to mention this. The SR 6speed doesn't have the speedo sensor on the tranny (s15) its located on the diff. so If you are planning to go that route. I suggest getting the diff also. I believe most that came in the s15 are lsd'd.