HybridZ

Show your Z car sketches/drawings/ideas/off-the-wall stuff

OlderThanMe

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dan, something I like to do when using colored pencils is to get a white one and go over the other colors with it. this will smooth out the scribble effect so common with colored pencils, and help it look professional. As a side note, this will also work with crayons, just use a white crayon instead of a pencil. Also, if you have to use crayons, it helps if you lay it on really thick, and then scratch off the extra wax with something sharp like an exacto knife or a razor. Not that I still color with crayons or anything, and spend my time developing advanced techniques for using them...that would make me some kind of guy with too much time on his hands or something...

hate to bring up old stuff, but just to illustrate the difference:

NOT with the white over color:

sketch001.jpg

WITH the white overcolor:

newbodykit.jpg

• 5 months later...

Been working on this for a while now and have got it to a point where I have A, realised that they're not completely to scale, the car is actually more narrow at the doors in the top view, and B, that I don't care enough to redo them from scale dimensions.

Comments are welcome. I will add some more notes later on, but for now let me just give you a legend:

Black is the external chassis.

Cyan is vents in the external surface.

Yellow is diffusers

Red is the internal chassis (rails etc).

Dark blue is cooler ducting.

Purple is the wing and splitter.

Shitgreen is any suspension.

top_with_brakes_670.jpg

top_no_brakes_180.jpg

rear_144.jpg

side_with_brakes_136.jpg

side_no_brakes_176.jpg

Not as pretty as some of the other posts sorry.

Dave

what *I* would kill to see....

obviously SERIOUS fab work here.

possibly consider installing AWD STi drivetrain and engine.. yes, a box four under the hood freeing up ACRES of space between rad X-member and engine. AWD of course. Lose the stock hood. In fact, the body would be much easier made, with a full fiberglass front end made from pieces of other cars for molds..... but picture THIS.

Cut the headlight buckets and the extension of the firewall ahead of the rad x-member OFF. knock off a roadster-style hood wide enough to cover the Z engine bay.. cut the forward section and wheel well out of a roadster fender, put that section onto the top/rearward half of the Z car fender. Re-create the roadster front end on the Z.. the grille might be difficult; using a stock roadster grille might be too narrow to be pleasing to the eye.

The intercooler and the radiator and the fans can ALL be moved to the back side of the cross member now. I have no idea if the soobie engine could be made to line the front output shafts up to the front wheels on the Z, obviously that is a make-or-break question on the choice of engines.. but hey, an SR20 could go there too, and still leave room for the stuff up front.

Chop the top... maybe even chop the WINDSHIELD if you can, and replace THAT with a roadster windshield (although that would at least double the difficulty of an already ABSURD concept) and if the roadster windscreen can be utilized, why not try to make windows that fit into the roadster Top, too...

Chop the tailsection to a point where one could re-create the roadster tail end, add a stretched fiberglass trunklid, and suddenly you've got a vehicle thats not quite a Z, not quite a Fairlady.. hell, not quite a Datsun, either, but man o manischewitz in my mind's eye, its a LOOKER. Miata? WRX? S2000? nah. Fair Lady Z-XT.

Draw it daeron! :)

im having trouble picturing it.

I can picture, but i can't draw.. it may well be that the idea is beyond drawable, just not possible to render the way I spell it out. even if I drew it, I don't have a scanner, or even a decent camera, so it would be fruitless. I may try though..

I did a pencil sketch as a concept for the 350Z a few years before they released it. It was a sketch/photoshop based heavily on the S30. I submitted it to zhome and they had it posted along with a few other sketches. I lost it and zhome does not have them up anymore... :-(

UPDATE! Holy Cr@p I found it! Thanks to waybackmachine.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20010203174400/http://zhome.com/titleNov.html

Keep in mind this was done in 2000 with my VERY limited photoshop experience.

Cerutti3.jpg

2606973410063370706S500x500Q85.jpg

2928750150063370706S500x500Q85.jpg

Started this last semester, but i was pretty much just messin around... It looks a little different now, but i dont have a scanner anymore so.. Fixed the front bumper, the rear window, and just cleaned it up alittle, I'll see if I can scan another of it more recently. Still needs more work though in the wheels and stuff.

Edit: Bottom one is recent (just scanned it). Still needs lots more work, just not really a top priority.

Glad to see this thread bumped back up. Looks like a good start, '372, too biggies I see are the sidewindow is abit long, and the door handle should be lower, the bodyline intersects the handle and the recess right at the middle.

Heres alittle sketch I did maybe 3 months ago and forgot to post.

Picture.jpg The perspective of the frontend is off, but it was just something to pass the Biology time away.

Guess I'll trot out the drawing I did a few years ago. Since then, the wind tunnel tests have changed my ideas of how the hood should look. Given the huge amount of drag imparted by the radiator, the pass through hood design seems like it wouldn't really provide any benefits. I still like the integrated side pipe/mufflers though. Running the exhaust externally like that would allow the underside to be cleaned up quite a bit for better under car areodynamics:

scan00012.jpg

I'll try to do another drawing using the ideas I've had since the wind tunnel tests were published.