HybridZ

No love for Z31?

theZman

I just bought a 1987 NA 300ZX automatic for my wife as a daily-driver. Her commute is 25-miles each way, 4 days a week. The car has some rust and 180K miles, but the price was low and the interior is in great condition. The hope is that it will last for 8-10 months without major maintenance. It idles at 2500 rpm and lurches sharply when the transmission is put in gear. The exhaust leaks, the hood hydraulic posts are shot, and the a/c is depleted… but even so, it’s pleasurable to drive, and at least FEELS like a sports car. I miss that feeling, driving family sedans and economy cars.

For me the Z31’s are a good compromise for daily or semi-daily drivers: cushy enough for regular commuter driving, but old enough to feel like a “sports carâ€. I have no performance aspirations for this car, and no intention of modifying it. But, by way of comparison, it is noticeably faster than my 1992 BMW 325is, which currently has 185K miles, and is fading fast. I doubt that it will make it past 200K without major maintenance – which I’m unwilling to perform.

As I often say, if you prefer RWD and don’t want a truck, but prefer something reasonably economical, the choices are small and are diminishing every year, as 80’s and even 90’s cars disappear. I drive rental cars frequently on business trips, and am continually impressed by the acceleration of modern V6 family sedans – Maxima, Taurus, Malibu and the like – but to me, there is something emotionally unacceptable about FWD.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This section is making me miss my 88. She's been sitting in my friends back yard since my ex blew the head gasket after driving it though the mountains with no coolant. :( Closing in on a year pretty quick. Poor car.

I just got my 75 back on the road, and as soon as I'm done with a few more things on her, I'll be cracking on the 'ol Z31. Motor needs a light rebuild, and I'll be turboing it while I'm at it. I figure I have all the turbo conversion parts sitting in storage so I might as well put them to use finally, right.

• 2 weeks later...

In standard form the Z31 is not something to mention....but spend a bit of money and you get pleasantly surprized, I baught my Z a few months back, it has an aftermarket fuel management system with some other stuff making 308 RWHP and a decent NM figure....with a decent turbo and decent fuel upgrade it will see power close to 400 RWHP.....then weight becomes an asset to keep the power on the road....

http://www.nistune.com/

standalone capabilities with the stock ecu. This is what the vast majority of z31 tuners are running right now. user friendly and very powerful. Extremely cheap for its functionality to boot. Matt, the guy who does it has very very good customer service as well.

and because it's out of australia, the usd and even cad are quite a bit stronger than the aud, so it works out being even cheaper.

Well I was drawn to the Romulator from reading the FAQs/stickies on Z31.com and loving how cheap it was. The S30 is the first love but apparently the VG30ET is so easy to mod it's kind of hard to resist. It is my DD for now though, so nothing crazy, I would just like to feel the power once and while.

Well I'm not worried about it enough to do all that at this point haha

Summer is almost here!!! My 31 is getting a timing belt when school gets out in three weeks and some more boost. I've also came across another VG so It'll be getting a rebuild in my spare time.

started my z31 up this weekend. has a timing issue and mis-fires a bit... but man does it ever sound so good.

ported the heads myself, and had the turbo rebuilt (twice, apparently), and installed an e-fan and a custom relay system for high/low speed... and PCV system to avoid the gumming of the intake that the last PCV valve did. lightweight flywheel, F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch (gonna see how that goes, gotta break it in a little easy), and the first 350z alternator 110amp upgrade (hey, I'm proud of my discovery :D). I need a new AAC/FICD to cope with the idle drop when the fan comes on...

Going to get it on the ground tonight for the first time in one whole damn year. I really need to drive it around to get the engine loaded to see what the miss is all about. Gonna take it easy and just kinda baby it... don't want any bad things happening first day out.

I closed the hood for the first time in a whole year... feels pretty damn good, I must say... will post pics + results later today... maybe some in-car video.