HybridZ

No love for Z31?

theZman

Guest Sharkracer

My 87 turbo looks exactly like Sparks in his sig. (grey)

sig21.JPG

I bought it for $300 with blown rings, otherwise it's in excellent shape and near mint on the inside.

It now has a fully built motor, and will soon have the biggest turbo i can wedge in the stock location. :D

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have owned a Z31 for about six years now and they are great cars to drive. They can be expensive to maintain (with Nissan parts and good aftermarket parts) and 86.1 has had about 10k in maintenance and upgrades over the years. 86.2 has had about 4k in maintenance so far. Both cars have north of 230k miles on them.

Here are my two 1986 hardtop twins....

43e2.jpg

f0c2.jpg

5817.jpg

and here is #2:

cefd.jpg

e435.jpg

4ca1.jpg

d398.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like them alot. Mostly the Kouki models. I've had seven all together. 85 NA GL auto, 86 NA GLL 5 speed, 87 NA GL 5 speed, 87 NA GLL auto. the three I have right now: Canadian 87 Turbo 2+2 GLL auto, 5/87 Turbo GL 5 speed, 88 NA GLL 5 speed with blown a motor.

88 NA GLL 5 speed

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/reddzx/1988300ZXNA001.jpg

87 2+2 Turbo GLL auto

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/reddzx/87Turbo22022.jpg

5/87 Turbo GL 5 speed

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/reddzx/1987300ZXTurbo021.jpg

87 NA GLL auto

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/reddzx/doorpanels006.jpg

87 NA GL 5 speed

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/reddzx/BurntZ001.jpg

86 NA GLL 5 speed

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/reddzx/86300ZX029-2.jpg

85 NA GL auto

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/reddzx/1985300ZXNA003.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have mixed feelings about the Z31. I love it, but I love the S30-S130s more.

My first Z was a rusty old 85' 300ZX N/A. I eventually bought a 280ZX 2+2, then got a 280ZXT. I've been looking for an S30, but I saw there were a couple Z31s for sale, went to check out one. Started missing my old Z31 now I'm planning to buy me an 87' ZXT 5-speed.

• 1 month later...

Z31s are unloved here, too. We mostly have 2+2s DownUnder and I always felt the shape was unbalanced. For that reason I overlooked them and bought a couple of Z32s.

BUT .... I have just fallen in love with a '78 black 200ZR 2-seater with a fearsome RB25 and all Skyline running gear, so just had to have it. It's smoother to drive than either of my Z32s and quicker than any of my others, including the S30 v8 and I love it. I was hooked by the RB25 which is way superior to the RB20. Maybe it's just the 'new baby' syndrome, but I prefer it over the other cars, now. Have plans for some 18s, maybe some Brides ......... ahhh, here we go again.

Also it fills in the lineage gap between the S30 and the Z32s. I must say, though, had it been a 2+2 I wouldn't have felt the same. (Or if it had the VG) Is it just me?

I have a 2+2 Z32 and I think they got the balance perfect. To the uninitiated the 2+2 is hard to pick from the 2 seater, but with the Z31 it's the long roof line and less raked rear window that's just not quite right (IMHO).

Having owned and driven the S30, S130 & Z32 I really think the Z31 would be a great car - for a demolition derby.:lol:

Seriously - I'm kidding. The Z31 has had a bad rap for years as being overweight and underpowered. Then again, doesn't everyone on this forum complain about Z's being underpowered? I've seen some really sweet Z31's and was sorely tempted to buy one I saw for sale in Branson, MO a few years ago. With what I've seen can be done with the VG30 I'd never worry about being able to build one that could really cook.

The Z31 is heaver than the earlier Zs. The Z31 is a Gran Touring car while 240s are a sports car. Kind of like comparing a 928 Porsche to a 911. (Just my two Franlklin Mint knock off cents)

OK, I'll generalise too. Sports cars are traditionally 2-seaters and 2+2s are GTs. 2-seater Zs are therefore sports cars, regardless of weight and the heavier, fatter 2+2 Zs are GTs. Is a 4-seater Porsche a sports car or a GT? There's a bit more to consider, though. Suspension set-up, power to weight ratio, etc, but I stick to my simplistic seat count as being the chief criterion.

My 2-seater 200ZR weighs about 1200kg and has around 370hp at the wheels. This is a better power:weight ratio than a Ferrari F355 Challenge which weighs 1444kg and has 380hp at the flywheel.

If weight was the criterion for a sports car you'd have to rule out a lot of 2-seaters supercars. What does the Bugatti Veyron weigh? 1998kg with 987hp. I wouldn't call it a GT, though.

for 1800 + 1000 in repair parts (what i paid for my z31), you'd be pretty hard pressed to find another nissan for 3000 bux that is as quick as a turbo z31.

I'd rather buy a z31 turbo (and have) over someones' 10 year old turbo civic science project for 8000 bux.

There are 89 CRX's here going for like 3000 and they are garbage. I'll take my demolition_derby material, thank you very much :D

OK, I'll generalise too. Sports cars are traditionally 2-seaters and 2+2s are GTs. 2-seater Zs are therefore sports cars, regardless of weight and the heavier, fatter 2+2 Zs are GTs. Is a 4-seater Porsche a sports car or a GT? There's a bit more to consider, though. Suspension set-up, power to weight ratio, etc, but I stick to my simplistic seat count as being the chief criterion.

My 2-seater 200ZR weighs about 1200kg and has around 370hp at the wheels. This is a better power:weight ratio than a Ferrari F355 Challenge which weighs 1444kg and has 380hp at the flywheel.

If weight was the criterion for a sports car you'd have to rule out a lot of 2-seaters supercars. What does the Bugatti Veyron weigh? 1998kg with 987hp. I wouldn't call it a GT, though.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, or perhapsI used a wrong analogy. What I meant was not specific differences. What I meant was that the Z31 and the 928 are both larger and more luxurious designs and were aimed at a different market than the 911 and earlier Zs. That is just my opinion.

As for the bugatti, I wouldn't want to comment. if I had that much mo9ney to spare, I'd be out looking for a nice used 917-30, and go nostalgia racing! :)

I've owned as 280ZX back-n-tha-day...I never liked a 300ZX,,,but I bought 1 about 3 weeks ago,,,& I LUV IT!!!

I'm still working on my 280ZX,,,but the 300ZX is a great driver,,,good on gas,,,& a great looking car also...

I started with a Z31. I got it for free, was rusted to crap, driver's door didn't open easily as the fender was bent in, etc. I learned how to do a lot with that car and I just loved it. It's super 80s in it's design and in my opinion is part of the reason why the Z31s especially the 84-86 models are looked down upon. I still love them though. After really getting into the 280ZX I really felt like that was the hated generation. As it was a car that was stuck being the last of the L6 engines, using a similar styling as the S30s, but then trying to become it's own more luxurious GT where the Z31 carried a whole new base. In the end I've come to love the S130 and Z31 generations. I think having a Z31 as my first car really helped, but they're super nice. Great cruisers, still somewhat easy to work on. Not bad fuel mileage, and if you have a turbo they've definitely got some go.