HybridZ

Thinkin about buying car(body kit ident help)

Tombarace14

Hey guys so I might have found a Z shell worth doing a build up on. I forget what year but its a 240. The guy is someone I work with he had done a SBC swap at one time and did some cage work in it. He said this came as kit and the front was a tilt front that he cut to be standard. Ive searched (flares, body kit, widebody) and looked at most of the parts sites I know of. I dont know what it is and cant find any info on what the kit is. Tell me what you guys think of it like / dislike.

070607_18322.jpg

070607_18321.jpg

070607_18302.jpg

070607_18301.jpg

070607_18291.jpg

070607_18281.jpg

It wont stay yellow and wheels are in order. I was wanting to do Stuble Flares. But way this guy talks is 255's fit under the flares. Besides the kit its pretty solid and looks to only need very minor floor repair.

Usually when these "what body kit is this?" threads come up, it turns out to be the JCR california z bodykit, but this one is definitely not that...I'm not familiar with it, but I'd be more tempted to say it was heavily end-user modified just looking at the front "bumper" and lower valence. The only part that even vaguely resembles the JCR kit is the whale tail and the fact that the fenders have gap between the doors...I dig it, but it looks like it's going to be one of those cars that needs a deceptive amount of work.

Personaly I like the looks of that kit, as long as the car doesn't seem to have any hidden problems that are going to bite you in the wallet later I would go for it. The kit to me looks like a copy of one of the 70's era race cars that I think was driven by Paul Newman, but I do not know the history of the race Z's like several other members on here.

Dragonfly

I would say it is custom, based off flairs I have. The rears look like the ones on my car, with the back half seriously modified (which means a lot of work was done to blend them in, bondo or fiberglass, still lots of opportunity for cracks to develop). I think the front flairs are also the same ones I have, but even more modified.

My guess is a mongrelization of a couple of different bits.

That front valance treatment, underneath the headlight buckets, looks AWFULLY familiar to me; as far as the air dam and the rest of the front end, that is what makes me think hybridized body kit. I am 99% positive I have seen that valance before, WITHOUT anything else from the front of that car on it...

If it is your thing, go for it. Peronally, I don't care too much for it; but with some work on the rear fenders behind the wheels, it could look pretty mean.

Just before I hit the post button, it occurred to me that it might be something of a rally race front end on it?? Modified, of course, but it looks like the type of front end that doesnt want to hug the ground; rather, it wants to hold sixteen bolt on foglights.

If the floorboards are in decent shape I wouldn't let it go. It is getting harder to find decent shells on the east coast. Most have already been worked on and the owners want a pretty price for them. BTW, how much does he want for it?

• 3 weeks later...

i like the rear kinda. i think it's nicely done but in rough shape.... the front needs to go.

and if you get some beautiful wide wheels to sit flush with some slightly stretched, or some really meaty tires, it will look pretty damn nice.

Yea I agree something has to be done with the nose and I just snagged a 2in spoiler from mikelly. So even tho the whale tail makes really great down force its gotta go. Im thinking of ways to change the front up, if anyone has ideas dont be shy.