HybridZ

Calling all Turbo'd Z's...Intercooler sizing

streeteg

Just looking around to see what intercoolers, sizes and brands have been popular and most useful by the majority of boosted Zs...In the market now and just wanted to see what everyone is doing.

Please post:

Intercooler size L x W x H

Brand

Where its mounted

24x12x4

xs power

front

i'll post a pic up later, it's wedged into a 280z with 3" pipes. i DO NOT have room for my stock hood hinges (just BARELY). when it gets back on the road i plan on just putting hood pins on it. if the intercooler was any bigger it wouldnt fit; in all dimentions. it looks incredible in there. and i had to cut the supports a little bit to open on the holes for the 3" piping. one side will fit a 3" but you're going to want some wiggle room, and the other side wont fit a 3", might fit a 2.5, but dont take my word for it.

i had tons of pics online of it but i took them down and i'm at work and cant upload them to my website for some reason. i'll PM you one if you want to post it.

Why not do this:

I'm going to be running a 31x12x3 I think...

Mario

i run a 31" overall and it does not fit well. I had to cap off the endtanks and make my own inlet and outlet. I had no choice seeing as i got the intercooler for free:)

21X11X3. Tiny but it does the job for a stock RB. I will be going somewhat wider and a taller once the GT35R is going on the car. I had no fitment issues with the intercooler but had to cut the core support a little bit for the extra pipe. And yes when the turbo goes in so is the Greddy intake haha. Going with a cross flow intercooler next.

DSCF0175.JPG

Running a smaller RB20DET. This is my setup.

2" Pipe.

Z707001.jpg

Z707002.jpg

Can't remember the size of the intercooler right off.

When I get home from work, I will post the size.

I ran a double pass radiator with electric fan. This lets me run the intercooler piping across the front of the radiator. More room for the air filter when I get one.

I dont have the size handy but here is a pic......no cutting of anything, Off ebay and it was intended for a mustang up to 400hp??

No cutting of the car whatsoever!

The electric fan sucks air through the rad as well as the intercooler.

April_5_2007 052_thumb.jpg

my intercooler is right up against the core support and the piping goes into the upper core support holes. when my hood springs are compressed they hit the 90 deg elbows.

mine's mounted exactly like chrism's ... if you look at his pics ... imagine the hood hinges compressing, his piping looks small enough that the hood hinges will go around the pipes, but w/ the bigger intercooler and pipes there's not much room in the corner near the core support

just a couple of quick comments,

the quality of the core is probably more important than the size....

larger,innefficient cores can contribute to lag as the air has to travel a greater distance

keeping the pipework short is a good way to reduce lag

sizing the pipework right allows for good air velocity which helps reduce lag(eg 3" in 2-1/2" out)

most street cars will do fine with the hybrid type coolers readily available from asia

garrett make some very good cores but they aren't cheap,the std nissan gtr(r33/r34)calsonic intercoolers are good for 500hp and are cheap(in australia anyway)but you have to modify the end tanks to fit in a stock Z nosecone

Thanks for the posts! I am looking for a way I can run a FMIC without using the precut holes in rad support. I know its easier that way however I have a custom front end so I am trying to keep the hood the way it is. I do not mind pinning it however it is going to be one hell of a project mounting it up... Here is a pic of my setup... LMK

teaser.jpg

when i push my hood down the hindges touch the 90* couplers coming out of the intercooler.

i mean i could add another bend at the core support, and have the intercooler sit more forward, and it should clear, like someone who posted pics above *edit, i looked back an didnt see the pic, maybe it was from another post*, but that's just another bend/cut/connection ... i think i have enough already ... also someone above has my intercooler mounted in the same positiion with VERY tight welded alum bends coming out of the tanks. i could do that, but i dont know whats worse, not having hood hindges in the stock location (or at all) or having even tighter 90+* bends

intercoolerphotoshoot3.jpg

intercoolerphotoshoot5.jpg

Factory top mount off a Nissan Sunny Pulsar Gti-R. tank to tank it's 19", but unfortunately I don't recall the top to bottom measurement. It's at least 9"...Fits perfect! Incidentally, I've got an extra sawzall if you need to give it a little "encouragement"...