HybridZ

Awsome fix for your stock differential mount. PICS!

proxlamus©

After doing some searching... I determined Cliftons ingenious solution to tearing rubber differential mounts was the best option for me.

I just welded 2 tabs to the mount and they hung below the cross member. I drilled a hole.. inserted a bolt and nut.. and sandwiched a rubber fuel hose in between the bolt and cross member to avoid vibration and noise.

Pictures speak for themselves.

19820032793.jpg

19820032786.jpg

19820032752.jpg

19820032875.jpg

19820032879.jpg

19820032819.jpg

The Ron Tyler mount was an attractive idea.. but I dont have a close supplier of 3/16" steel anywhere close to me.

That's pretty much what mine looks like except I dont have a welder so I used a couple of bolts in place of the weld. I mad a U-Shaped shackle, wrapped it under the crossmember and bolted it to the mount like that. I used a rubber sheet to insulate it on the bottom of the crossmember.

I am not sure what the mount looks like inside, but if you are trying to stiffen up the mount, why not fill the gaps (where rubber SHOULD have been but never was) with 3M winshield adhesive. It cures up stiff as Urethane and it's dirt cheap. I just thought I'd throw it out there. My apologies if it isn't applicable, but there are several other areas in the car where it may be handy.

The problem with the stock mount is that the two pieces tend to separate under acceleration. Filling the void of rubber with anything other than a strong epoxy would do nothing to keep the diff from moving up under accel.

The problem with the stock mount is that the two pieces tend to separate under acceleration. Filling the void of rubber with anything other than a strong epoxy would do nothing to keep the diff from moving up under accel.

OK. This sounds like a perfect candidate for that. It's 3M Fast Drying Urethane Window Adhesive. Adhesive, not sealant. It sticks pretty good and it's quite stiff. A lot of guys have used it on engine mounts and trans mounts with good success. Dunno, maybe the different loads here would cause an issue.

OK. This sounds like a perfect candidate for that. It's 3M Fast Drying Urethane Window Adhesive. Adhesive, not sealant. It sticks pretty good and it's quite stiff. A lot of guys have used it on engine mounts and trans mounts with good success. Dunno, maybe the different loads here would cause an issue.

The fundamental problem is that the diff pulls away from the crossmember. If the crossmember were on top of the diff then it would compress, and a poly mount would work just fine. Since it pulls apart, I don't really think that putting a different type of rubber or poly in the void would help much at all. It might be good for the area between the strap or whatever is used (don't think it would work for a bolt) and the bottom of the crossmember. For the bolt, just go get some 1/2" fuel hose and slip it over. I think this is discussed in my diff FAQ.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...