HybridZ

how many of you use or own plazma cutters

Im in the market for a plazma cutter for the shop, Ive used a few friends own and have some experiance but,

If you own one, Id love to hear your thoughts as to which models work well and which don,t....

for those unfamiliar with plazma cutters,

after you get a decent welder youll eventually want a PLAZMA CUTTER in the shop, a plazma cutter is a tool that allows precise cuts in almost any conductive metal, this comes in VERY HANDY when your fabing up exhaust headers, transmission mounts, motor mounts, accessory brackets, oil pans and similar projects

http://www.plasma-cutter.com/technical.htm

plasma_process.jpg

http://store.cyberweld.com/plasmacutters.html

http://www.htpweld.com/products/plasma_cutters/index.htm

http://www.welders-direct.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WD&Category_Code=PC

Hey GrumpyVette,

I have bought one and have enjoyed using it. My local welding shop sold it to me who sells Miller. It is made by Thermal Dynamics, they said it was still made Miller. It has worked flawlessly, on Metal and Alum. I do need to buy an attachment so I can cut perfect straight lines and Circles.

If you are interested in Thermal Dynamics I can get you the model number of the one I have over the weekend.

John

a plazma cutter is a tool that allows precise cuts

Its only as precise as you make it. If you've got shaky hands, you'll have shaky cuts unless you setup a fence or a fixture. There is also a little bit of slag to deal with after the cut. Don't let the marketing hype fool you. They make cleaner and nicer cuts then a flame cutter but they are not as nice as a saw cut. You also need very dry compressed air or the plasma stream will wander and quickly consume tips and nozzles and give a less accurate cut.

I've been using a Lincoln ProCut 55 for 5 years and its good for things like this:

fireplacecover.JPG

IMO, you cant go wrong with Thermal Dynamics, the Cutmaster series would probably be my suggestion. Model numbers suggest the rated good quality cut, so a Cutmaster 51 is rated for about 1/2 inch cuts, though I have seen decent cuts over 1 inch from the machine. As JohnC related, dry air helps loads, though Thermal Dynamics products do not seem as finicky as others in this regard. An important aspect to consider is the price of consumables... Hypertherm or Miller products tend to be spendy and less durable. Thermal Dynamics is part of a large corporate family that includes Thermal Arc, Thermadyne, Tweco, and Victor torches. When someone comes in looking for consumables, the first thing we ask is what torch they are using, as it is probable that they are using Tweco, or a part produced by the Thermal family. (Lincoln Magnum MIG guns are a Tweco design for Lincoln)

Lincoln also makes a decent product, but IMO not as reliable, and you get to deal with Lincolns horrible parts catalog and numbering system. If your local welding supply has good traffic and good people, this wont be much of a problem.

Stay far away from anything "cheap".... I don't have ANY good stories about a cheap Plasma performing better than expected.

If I were unscrupulous, I could hook you up with a really good deal this weekend, the Thermal Dynamics Demo truck is parked in my lot... the Rep's house is under construction and has no parking = ) Alas, my morals don't allow for 5-fingered discounts, but let me know what you see for prices, I may beat them... particularly on consumables.

I've wanted one for awhile, but started thinking about renting one to cut up a used up car. I got a used 110V Hypertherm Max 20 and it worked great. I was not worried about precise work but it was a lot of fun. For heavy duty work you will probably want to go with a 220V unit and stick with the major players.

I got my plasma cutter from a secure worksite when I bet the Project Engineer his security sucked so bad, I could load up anything I wanted and drive right out with it.

He bet me whatever I could load that I couldn't.

Went to my truck, wheeled over a Century Plasma Cutter to the back, and asked a couple of guys to come over an help me load it in the truck (I could see the lead engineer agog in disbelief!)

Drove right out the front gate and the guard waved to me!

I DID bring it back the next day...but the guy refused to accept it back! He said he was going to write it off as a 'Security Consultants Fee' against the project...then went out and reamed everyone about site security pointing to my truck saying "Anybody remember that truck from yesterday?"

Thing is, I don't have wiring for the damn thing, so it's sit since I unloaded it at the house. But for the price...I'm not complaining! When I use them at worksites, I get all worked up to wire the circuit...but honeydews usually divert me...

Exactly what johnc said. Cuts are fast, but almost always requires dressing/grinding for welding and fitment. I have a Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 38 and like the 120/240V auto sensing feature. It will cut 3/8 decently. I wish the head was a little smaller. I'd gladly trade the newfangled ergonomic gun handle for the old Linde small head type, much easier to see your work.

Somebody needs to invent a backyard waterjet. That would be awesome!

I use Hypertherm Plasma for both handheld and CNC. Ive hand good luck with noth. I'm going to replace the CNC machine and one of the criteria is that the new machine uses Hypertherms equipment. Another reason is that they're an hour away from me for parts/service. As others have said, thermaldynamics is also a very good choice.

I've been to both Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics in Lebanon NH. I'm in the scope business, and they use them for power measurement. Both companies make some very impressive products. Hypertherm makes a battery operated plasma cutter that you wear as a backpack. It is used when the jaws of life can't get someone out of a wreck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Miller 375. It is either 120v or 240v which was a big seller as it could be moved around. I have 20 amp 120v circuits in my shop and have yet to run it on 240. It cuts 1/2" well on 120, but will throw the breaker after about a 4" cut. They claim 5/8" severs and I don't see why not since it cuts 1/2" on 120v.

I don't use it a lot, but it totally kicks A when you need it. Never drill another rivet again!