HybridZ

Stick on rear lip spoilers?

cygnusx1

I want to add a little something to the rear end of the Z to keep the lift down a little. The problem is that I dont really like any of the available rear spoilers and I will not drill into the hatch. There seem to be a ton of cars these days with the stick on lip spoilers. Ebay has quite a few generic ones also in urethane and carbon fiber. Has anyone found one that fits and looks OK?

something like this:

http://www.electrodyne.cc/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?store_code=ED&screen=PROD&product_code=44510

or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-92-99-E36-96-04-E39-ACURA-RSX-CARBON-LIP-SPOILER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33638QQihZ017QQitemZ270151271469QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

and this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M5-STY-CARBON-TRUNK-LIP-SPOILER-47-03-05-SAAB-9-3-AERO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33638QQihZ017QQitemZ270151283500QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Alternatively I was thinking of making my own out of aluminum sheet and clipping it to the rear of the hatch with custom clips and some sticky tape.

Would you drill into a different hatch?

I think those you linked to will all stay on with the tape, but I think you could do something more effective if you were willing to drill. Having used a small fabricated spoiler that stuck up about 2" as a last minute mod before going to the track, I can say that I think the small lip spoilers WILL have an effect, I just don't think that it's going to be as beneficial as something that is bigger and needs drilling.

And why not drill? It's not like you're keeping it stock... :?

Yeah I know...it's my personal feeling to always look at another option to avoid drilling into my Z. After all options are wasted, I usually end up drilling anyway. I'm not looking for major downforce, I just want the subtle look, and a side benefit of some decreased lift.

I really like the 3-pc glass ones of days gone by. They are more difficult to find now.

I've ordered 2 of these at different times. Service was great and fit is exceptional. https://shop.retro-spec.net/splashPage.hg11697072891941936564260.jpegClick to enlarge

Others have different opnions than my experience on this site. I can promise you that I would not have bought a second part form these guys if it was not a nice part. When I ordered the site showed the part was in stock.Mfg Part #RSD007InventoryBack Ordered

why don't you just get the carbon fiber one from shop retro spec and install some strong magnets on the back so you can put it on and take it off if for whatever reason you want the option to do so.. if i were you i would see about getting a small lip spoiler and seeing how that looks first.. i mean the one off of e-bay is only 16$ and it has magnets/tape on it so you don't have to worry about drilling any holes i personally would like to see how an old school z would look with a small lip spoiler on it. i think it would look kinda cool

... i mean the one off of e-bay is only 16$ and it has magnets/tape on it so you don't have to worry about drilling any holes i personally would like to see how an old school z would look with a small lip spoiler on it. i think it would look kinda cool

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Cheap, looks good, and semi-functional. I was just hoping someone else guinea pig'd it for me already.

I actually got one of those for my old Volvo 850 Turbo. Looks like a decent size in the pictures and actually on the car. Though when I got it I had to break out a magnify glass cause it was so small. I still stuck it on but was stupid small. On the rear of a Z I think it would look silly and tacky. Sorry man. Just giving you my honest opinion as I actually the same one you listed above.

I figured I could either let the ends hang out over the rear quarters or hacksaw and finish with some treatment on the cut ends. I am still on the fence. I want to try to visit some local bling-bling shops to see if I can test fit one before I throw out the money.

I've looked at getting one of these for my 240Z and wrote several ebay vendors looking for just the right size. Each one of them responded that they could get one in any size...all I had to do was specify at the time of order. I'm pretty sure that these are extrusions and are cut either to order, or in batches of the most common sizes.

I'm not desparate enough to go switching hatches. I will drill into mine if I don't like the look/function of the stick on ones not really a huge issue for me to drill. I just really don't like the BRE type spoilers. They look like a speed bump more than a wing IMHO. I would rather have an aluminum lip with turnbuckles than that BRE molded one. I'll keep searching until I've exhausted simple and cheap alternatives.

• 1 month later...

Nope, I have been so busy with the family. I also had to change my head gasket which ate up some of my free time. I still plan on doing something for a spoiler and a front splitter out of aluminum this winter when the car is on jack stands. I will certainly post photos when I get to it.

I've ordered 2 of these at different times. Service was great and fit is exceptional. https://shop.retro-spec.net/splashPage.hg11697072891941936564260.jpegClick to enlarge

Others have different opnions than my experience on this site. I can promise you that I would not have bought a second part form these guys if it was not a nice part. When I ordered the site showed the part was in stock.Mfg Part #RSD007InventoryBack Ordered

Hey thats my car!

LoL i keep telling him he can use BETTER pics!! i have tons of em..

that pic isnt even bolted down.. and its laying ontop of the badge!