HybridZ

Show off your rust pictures

datman

dear dawg man! those are some crazy pictures. I'm going to pick up my Z from my parents house hopefully next weekend. I hope its not anything like I have seen here! I'm just about ready for my LS1 swap! I got it from the west end of Georgia and rust doesn't seem to be much of a problem there but its been sitting in a barn for the last few years waiting for me to get my cash together. LS1 and T56 are on their way up! I know it needs some work but dear gawd!

Anyway.... Here are a couple pics of my 91 pickup and my first cheesy patch job ever.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

I had to do this on both sides and now the rear fender wells are goin! Typical chevy but I love the truck!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This represents what was left of both rocker panels, both doglegs, both front and rear frame rails, floors, battery box, and seat mounts. If there is anything you do not see in this picture, it is because it was lost to rust into dust...

bbb002.jpg?t=1193182169

bbb005.jpg?t=1193182521

Mind you, that the above pictures are of the same things, just displayed.

The best tool I ever made for sandblasting:

bbb015.jpg?t=1193182582

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks guys. Looking at these pics made me feel a whole lot better :)

One comment, one pic shows holes in a rusty floor with pen marks around them. they're not seriously thinking of patching are they?

i think youre referring to mine, and no, im cutting out the whole peice and welding in new metal.

I guess I got real lucky when I bought my Z. This is the ONLY rust issue I've had with mine. Both sides had been repaired by the PO and all he did was stuff it with bondo and fiberglass. I noticed it when it started to bubble and found this. So thank god for scrap metal from doing my Cowl Hood.

dogleg_rought_outer_area.JPG

dogleg_rought_closeup_inside_well.JPG

dogleg_fixed_outside_view.JPG

dogleg_fixed_better_view.JPG