HybridZ

Never Thought Of Running Intercooler Piping Like This...Pics!

slownrusty

is it ok to have that mitsu BOV mounted right at the turbo like that?

it's a pretty large ongoing arguments as to where the best place to mount a bov is...right after the turbo or right before the throttlebody. i personally would see it to be more effective before the throttlebody.

I also did the throttle body position, but mounted it underneath so I wouldn't have to cut the hood any more than necessary...

haha. cut the hood anymore than necessary? your intercooler is sticking out thru your hood, im sure a little more cutting wouldn't have hurt.

intercoolerphotoshoot3.jpg

haha im just messin with u.:flamedevi

haha. cut the hood anymore than necessary? your intercooler is sticking out thru your hood, im sure a little more cutting wouldn't have hurt.

intercoolerphotoshoot3.jpg

haha im just messin with u.:flamedevi

holy mad max Z! looks awesome though. Sorry to thread jack, but us that from valence made from some oem fascia. Looks absolutely awesome.

And as for this IC setup, what advantages would it offer over the traditional cold pipe behind the rad setup, other than being able to keep the stock fan shroud. Looks like a few feet more piping, plus the spark plugs look harder to access.

An intake tube from an N/A Z31 makes for a VERY nice intake elbow to your turbo. That is what I use on my 260Z. I clearanced the left inner fender slightly, and used a torch to seal one hose barb on the Z31 inlet pipe, but it screwed right up to the stock L28ET rubber inlet boot, and fit through the radiator bulkhead---giving me the added luxury to install the Z31's inlet silencer box (kills all that nasty turbo inlet whine) as well as allowed me to use one of the BIG K&N Diamond-Shaped Z31 Inlet Filter on it. And if I ever get in a pinch, I can always get a stock Z31 Inlet Filter and stick it on there!

But that plastic N/A Z31 pipe has one other advantage boys and girls: it won't trransmit engine room heat to your inlet airstream like those bling bling shiney aluminum ones will!

Sorry to thread jack, but us that from valence made from some oem fascia. Looks absolutely awesome.

thanks for the complement, in an effort to avoid any further thread jacking, the short answer is yes, the long answer may be found here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112218&highlight=operation+camo+zzzap

Veritech-z,

I applaud the thinking outside the box. If I might make a small suggestion that I think would improve the efficiency of your setup markedly.

Where the front of the cooler meets the bonnet is going to be a high pressure zone because its protruding. This can be a HIGHLY positive thing if the result is that the air gets direct upwards, as in a gurney lip. This will effectively draw air out the intercooler from the bonnet.

The problem I see atm is that its not sealed so the air will be going down into the bay and upwards. Wack a small gurney lip in front of the cooler that seals with the bonnet and see what happens? I'd be interested to see if it works.

Dave