HybridZ

Wooden Motor stand... thoughts ????

JSM

I want to run and play with my motor out of the car. I'm converting to stock 280zxt electrics because I have them. I want to make sure everything works and be able to work/ clean up the motor better.

Do you think this would be safe to run the motor on? I have a real steel 3 wheel motor stand but need to leave the bell housing on so I could run the starter. It was very long and dangerous to run in my opinion. This seems and feels sturdy as rock.

I want to drop the back of the motor down another 1/2" to 1" and make that vertical rear support flat under the legs so i can use casters.

Funny is I measured the motor mounts in the car and they sit exactly at 45 degrees.

Needless to say, this took most of my weekend. I think I stared at if for about an hour until I visualized this:

PIC00019.JPG

PIC00020.JPG

PIC00021.JPG

It looks strong side to side but I would add some gussets front to back.Also, did you use screws or nails?

3-1/2" screws everywhere. I agree about the front because it is cantilevered a bit. The back is light as all.

id but if you need any help putting it in message me... i did the swap into my 74z a few months ago... and im not to far away and it be cool to meet some z guys

Cool, which swap did you do? Mine is an all stock 82 280zxt into a 73 240z.

Hmmm, impressive, I like that. I don't know if I would have made one out of wood like that, but it looks good. I'd use it. :)

Thanks for the compliment!

Wood was free, had the screws, borrowed my neighbors saw and my welding is sketchy at best. Plus then I would have had to BUY steel.

I knew I stored that wood in my garage for the past two years for a reason :)!

You know it doesn't matter what anyone thinks 'cuz you're gonna run it anyway! (I would.) Vid would be great!

LOL, good point. I just want to make sure I'm safe! I'm gonna do a few mods looking at the picks more.

Yeah, I need to video tape this. Will see ....

I would find a way to secure it to the floor...even some sandbags to hold it down would help dampen the vibrations. I would be afraid of it walking around garage.

Hahahaa, I read this and had an image in my head of it sprouting legs and running around the garage yelling "You can't catch me!!!"....HAHAHA

I would find a way to secure it to the floor...even some sandbags to hold it down would help dampen the vibrations. I would be afraid of it walking around garage.

Hahahaa, I read this and had an image in my head of it sprouting legs and running around the garage yelling "You can't catch me!!!"....HAHAHA

hahahahahahahahahha

i agree with at least the sandbags, though

still laughing lol

That looks solid enough. Looks like something I would make, less dados here and there

I would definitely add some fore-aft gussets like roostmonkey said. 3/8 plywood would be ideal. Maybe a cross piece connecting the front and back legs down at the floor. Screws always feel tight at first but vibration can really loosen a non-dado joint in a hurry.

Looks a little nose heavy too. maybe nail it to an 8' board running directly underneath the engine to increase the front to back footprint.