HybridZ

Can I just cut the springs??

On some cars you can and some you cant. You can when then end you cut(top or bottom) has the cup for cut type coils and not the tightly wound ones. Stupid question but can I just cut the springs in my 1st gen z and if so do I cut the tops or the bottoms? .... stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

well performance.... I just figured a lower center of gravity would be better(not too low). and if the cups can fit them I see no down side but there probably is one. I don't have the money for any new performance springs but say like if the 280zx had shorter front springs I could go to the salvage yard and get some. .............I'm probably being retarded about this and you're probably right but I thought haveing soft springs, large sway bars, and loads of rebound dampening was the way to set a car up, please please please correct me. I need help on this subject. thankyou

Guest Linkstar07

I dont see any problem cutting coils if you are careful about it. Start with half or one whole coil at a time. (generally not more than an inch of the overall height of the spring being removed) As you decrease the number of coils, you increase the spring rate. Not a bad thing for stock springs.

You can cut the coils in 1/2 turn increments. Cutting coils lowers the and increases the spring rate. But, on any strut equipped car, lowering it reduces bump travel and too low will actually make the handing worse. IMHO you can lower a S30 aobut 1.5" from stock ride height and make sure to shorten the bump stops. Any more you have to start shortening the struts.

And don't ask "What's shortening the struts" because there's a whole FAQ devoted to that topic.

From what I've gathered from reading, Zs like harder springs and softer sways. in fact lots of people on here believe the S/T set as being too big.

Depends on which ST kit. THe 25mm front and 19mm rear (1" and 3/4") works very well on a 240Z.

You can cut the coils in 1/2 turn increments.

Johnc,

I have read that you can ruin the temper of a spring by heating it up too much when cutting. I want to cut my springs (reproduction Euro-spec) and am planning to use a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder. Will this heat up the springs too much? Do I need to clamp the spring in a bucket of water or would this be overkill?

The cheesy thing to do is to heat the springs with a torch until they sag to the height you want. That's a redneck "performance upgrade" that is not worth doing. Cutting springs with a cutoff wheel is fine, although the stock Z springs are WAAAY too soft so you'd do better to get a set of stiffer aftermarket springs. Also, in regards to the spring rate going up, Dan Baldwin did the calculation some years back and cutting a couple coils and added something like 5% to the spring rate. So it's not going to change enough to compensate for the car being so undersprung in the first place.

• 5 months later...

On a progressive spring you'd want to cut the bottom where the coils are wider apart. If you cut the top that wouldn't have nearly as much effect, so you might have to cut 2 or 3 coils to get the same as cutting one on the bottom, and it would remove a lot of the progressiveness of the spring.

I don't recall where I had seen it, but there was an article a few years ago, but somebody that is well respected in the automotive feild, that showed how to proper cut springs. Involved a torch and even how to flatten that last coil to sit in a flat spring pocket.

We have the front coils cut on our '70 Chev pick up that uses a '79 F-body front frame clip. Been riding that way for about 8 years now, maybe longer, I don't remember when we set it back down on it's wheels. This is the second set, since the first set was too low and we couldn't actually remove the jack when we went to set it down. :lol: It has never sagged, or had any other ill effects from the cut springs.