HybridZ

Firewall Sound Deadening / Padding

78280z

Speaking from a cheapskate point of view, there is a product available at Lowe's and Home Depot that is designed for freeze protection on Eaves of Roofs. It's a self-sealing ice-prevention tar compound, with a self-adhesive back. It works GREAT for the floorboards and anyplace else you want to stick sound deadener. It's CHEAP, and comes in rolls 36" wide. You guys may want to check it out if you are looking for generic sound deadener comparable to the stock stuff! You can layer it and increase the mass for more deadening capability like Dynamat, but for a fraction of the cost.

I wish I had the name, but it's pretty obvious when you go to the shingle section of the Home Improvement Warehouses what you are looking for...it's sticky on one side, self sealing, and meant for eaves. When you see how much you get for the cost...you start thinking 'brand names be damned, I'm gonna try this!' LOL

I tried the dry ice method and it worked great for the deadening on the tranny tunnel but doesn't help for the deadening on the driver and passenger floorpans. Again, I think it's because theres some sort of insulating material mixed in with the adhesive. I might have to try out the heat gun method.

• 4 weeks later...
I believe the home depot stuff you are talking about it Peel'N'Seel or something like that... i have heard really good things about it in other forums.

I tried this stuff. I'm still kicking the leftover roll around the garage.

My results where not up to my expectations maybe I applied it wrong.

The heat of summer,mixed with heat from the exhaust & trans made the stuff slide down the trans tunnel onto the floor in a gooey mess.

Funny how when you type or write something, it will connect dots.. My trans overheated soon after..

Speaking from a cheapskate point of view, there is a product available at Lowe's and Home Depot that is designed for freeze protection on Eaves of Roofs. It's a self-sealing ice-prevention tar compound, with a self-adhesive back. It works GREAT for the floorboards and anyplace else you want to stick sound deadener. It's CHEAP, and comes in rolls 36" wide. You guys may want to check it out if you are looking for generic sound deadener comparable to the stock stuff! You can layer it and increase the mass for more deadening capability like Dynamat, but for a fraction of the cost.

I wish I had the name, but it's pretty obvious when you go to the shingle section of the Home Improvement Warehouses what you are looking for...it's sticky on one side, self sealing, and meant for eaves. When you see how much you get for the cost...you start thinking 'brand names be damned, I'm gonna try this!' LOL

That's a great tip. We use that stuff up here all the time. We call it "Ice shield" I believe. However, does it smell? And I can't recall, isn't it sticky on both sides? If so, did you just top it with aluminum foil?

Tim

the home depot stuff is asphalt based, it will smell in the heat. and as mentioned two post us if it gets extremely hot it will slide/melt. Thats whats nice about automotive sound deadener, its meant to be in extreme temps and still stick. 95% of automotive deadeners are also not asphalt anymore to get away from the smell in the heat too. on the elemental designs website they show their deadener in an oven at voer 400*F and no real ill effects that i remember. check it out. for $.80/sqft its dirt cheap.

Guest iamdoughnut

Hey, while we're on this subject...what's the purpose of the holes the factory leaves in the bottoms of the floor? drainage? cabin pressure equalization? dy-lithium crystalization?

:)

Hey, while we're on this subject...what's the purpose of the holes the factory leaves in the bottoms of the floor? drainage? cabin pressure equalization? dy-lithium crystalization?

:)

I always thought it was so you could take a quick glance down to identify the parts passing by after you hear "crunch-bang-clank"

• 3 months later...
My 260 has nothing as far as firewall protection or sound deadening material. Is the dynomat stuff the most economical while still being pretty effective to use over the entire interior? including the firewall? or should I find something else for that?

dynamat is quite expensive IMO, there are others (eDead, Brownbread etc) that will do the same job for considerably less. I used edead for my doors/floors/tunnel/spare well areas and probably spent no more than $65 if I had to guess.

I want to try this one... but I haven't gotten around to interior yet... It costs $30 for 40 sqft and weighs .8oz per square foot. I would probably double up on thickness in most areas. Light weight would be the goal. I like the concept of this one over the type with bubbles in it because there are no bubbles to pop and it achieves pretty much the same goal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Automotive-Heat-Sound-Insulation-Auto-Car-Boat-RV-Quiet_W0QQitemZ330226741178QQihZ014QQcategoryZ46094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Being so light weight, I highly doubt it will be able to dampen the low tones very well, but it might be worth a shot.

• 3 weeks later...
dynamat is quite expensive IMO, there are others (eDead, Brownbread etc) that will do the same job for considerably less. I used edead for my doors/floors/tunnel/spare well areas and probably spent no more than $65 if I had to guess.

Hey I'm considering either edead or fatmat extreme off of ebay. Which would you recommend for my 2+2? I will definately not be afraid to double coat it if it reduces road noise, etc...I don't want to be able to hear any noise from outside, I'm not going for too much of a sports car feel since I have a 2+2

Hey I'm considering either edead or fatmat extreme off of ebay. Which would you recommend for my 2+2? I will definately not be afraid to double coat it if it reduces road noise, etc...I don't want to be able to hear any noise from outside, I'm not going for too much of a sports car feel since I have a 2+2

I personally haven't used the fat mat product so I can't really make a comment on it. I have used eDead a lot and have nothing but good things to say about it. easy to apply, cheap to buy, great end result even with the V1 version (cheapest). If you buy edead type in forum discount in their search engine on the site and you will get 20% off IIRC any edead product. ;)