HybridZ

Wild BBC HybridZ Drag Video

Why do all the back halved cars wheelie so bad? Is it just the size of tires that they are able to run? Or is it that they hook that much harder?

Justin

I would imagine the width of the tires and the friction they create coupled with the torque of a 572 BBC would cause the car to rotate on the rear axle instead of breaking the tires loose.

Has more to do with a solid rear axel, wide tires, and torque than it does backhalving, unless you say you can't put tires that wide unless you backhalve it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just curious if a 4 linked or ladder bar rear suspension has a tendency to squat and leave that much harder then a IRS suspension car.

I guess JNJ and RIP are both IRS and have wheelie troubles as well.

Justin

They actually don't "squat". Squat is bad, as it lifts the weight OFF the rear wheels and that's when traction is lost. A proper rear suspension actually plants th erear wheels, forcing them down to the ground, or "lifts" the rear of the vehicle. The reason that the body does in higher power vehciles lower over the rear wheels is because of the massive torque, where the drive shaft or pinion gear more specifically "climbs" the ring gear, which in turn lifts the front wheels.

4 linked or ladder bar cars usually have an easier time of doing this, because they are designed with rear wheel traction in a straight line being the largest reason for installing these rear suspension designs, and are tuned for that.

IRC cars can plantthe rear end as we have seen, but can be in some cases more of a chalange.

My thinking is with our short wheelbase, a tubbed car may be harder to go really fast with due to this trouble. Without wheelie bars, I think you would have an easier time keeping the front end down with IRS. Maybe this is a blanket statement tho.

Justin

Could be true, but that would depend greatly on the set-up, not just that it's a 4-link or ladder bar or "hotchkis" suspension, etc, but how the actual set-up is done or "tuned". There are quite a few cars with same or shorter wheel bases that can accelerate very quickly by planting the rear wheels. Depending on how it's set-up you can change how hard it hooks or how high the front end lifts, to a point anyway. Look at some street classes. Many are in the 9s even high 8s without bars and have similar length wheel bases.

A short wheel base does make it a tad more difficult than a longer wheel base though to keep the front end down.

I believe that this should be in its own thread. I had it in another thread but I think lots of you would want to see this so here it is.

Link to Video:

http://ywnv.vidiac.com/recentvideos/7/8398a7ec-f655-4e70-9d11-99ab012eba03.htm

He said the car is running the quarter mile in 8.60s at 155 on the motor and 8.30's at 165 on the juice. This run didn't allow wheelie bars so he backed off a bit. The car is street legal. Well, it is tagged!

It has a 572 BBC in it.

03200006.jpg

03200002.jpg

03200019.jpg

03200004.jpg

03200014.jpg

oK this my fav on Hybridz!

Hey Guys,

I just received a DVD from Ivan (the owner of this car) with some of his 1/4 mile runs and I don't know how to post them. Can anyone help? I did a search but still can't figure it out.

Help me post the videos.

Thanks,

So I guess no one knows how to post videos? That was the point of my latest post here.

I want to post up the other runs that are very cool.

HELP!!!!!

So I guess no one knows how to post videos? That was the point of my latest post here.

I want to post up the other runs that are very cool.

HELP!!!!!

How long is the vid? If it is shorter than 10 mins and on your pc as a file. Post it on youtube and link it to the thread.

I think he's gonna need more guidance than that.

Put the DVD in your computer, and open the DVD up. If it always wants to lauch into a DVD playing program, then try right clicking the DVD drive and clicking "explore".

Check the file types. Right clicking and going to proprties normally gets you the file info, if the .avi .mpg or other format isn't listed on the file just exploring in windows (it's a view option you can changed in your folder settings, don't worry about all that).

Once you know what file type you're dealing with we'll better know how to help you.

If it's truly in a DVD format, then you'll need to rip the DVD, then convert the files to a format that youtube will accept.

If it's in AVI or a similar format, then you just need to copy the files onto your computer, then upload the files to youtube.

Holy Shnikies! Thats gonna leave a mark!

I hear you. I want to fly up there just to go for a ride in it. My car runs in the 12s and his is in the 8s. What a difference. Must be an incredible feeling.

Glad everyone is enjoying the vids. I am glad to know atha an old Z car that I once owned was built into such a bad ass car.