HybridZ

Where can I buy blasting media?

jkgts1

Well I live in southern california and I am looking for a place that sells aluminum oxide blast media. I can order online but shipping cost as much as the media does. I am near the Riverside area, anyone know a place? I call around to different places but no one even knows what blast media is. And I have looked in the phone book with no luck.

Thanks

I use sand from Home Depot also. Less than $3 per #50 bag. Before I put the sand in the hopper I run thru this:

bbb015.jpg?t=1193182085

I don't remember what size the holes are. I merely found a drill bit that would "fill" the nozzle on the gun. Believe me, drilling all of those holes in the bucket takes less time than finding the clog in the blaster. Since I started passing the sand thru this sieve, I have not had one clog yet. I also sweep up the sand and use it 3 or 4 more times. I stop re-using it, once is starts to get too dusty. The dust is a slow killer!

Wear a good dust mask. I wear a cheap paper one over a good one. This may make it a little harder to breathe thru, but it makes the good filter last longer.

Use sand outside if possible. I am fortunate enough I can get up to one air change every two minutes in my home booth.

Okay I know silica sand is bad for your lungs, I would guess everything but air is. So if you still want to find what you want look here:

http://www.thomasnet.com/

...Some pool supply places also sell it...

Another obscure place to buy blasting media is a headstone/monument company. When I lived in Knoxville they had the cheapest price around for sand. That’s what they use to engrave the headstone inscriptions.

Yeah I check harbor freight but they seem to only carry tumbling media. Thanks for the replies, I'll try the HF in San Bernadino.

You missed it, then! The Harbor Freight on Adams Street carries the Ballotini Glass Beads, as well as the 'Harbor Freight' Aluminum Oxide, Glass Beads, and Walnut Shells.

I don't know who you talked to there, but they were mistaken about what they carry (and they do that a lot!) If you get the SKU number from the Online Store (http://harborfreight.com) and take that into them, the register personnel can do a stock check.

As you go in the door at the store, turn left, go past the cabinet with the router bits and replica miniature engines, head back to the rear part of the store past all the electrical tools, and when you get back by the cabinet where all the MIG welding wire and replacement parts are, look for small brown boxes about 6X6X6". That will be the Glass Beads and Aluminum Oxide. The Ballotini Beads are in five gallon pails that are white and blue.

If they are out of stock (best time to go look is EARLY Saturday Morning, or ask Friday evening before they close, and 'get your name on the list' for stuff from their upcoming truck shipment), you can go to McFadden-Dale Hardware in Corona. They have Ballotini Beads, Walnut Shells, and Black Magic as well as generic Aluminum Oxide and bags and the pails like the Ballotini Beads. BEWARE! You will pay 10X what you will at Harbor Freight for the Aluminum Oxide there at McFadden Dale. They do have a lot of other cool stuff as well. They are on Maple / 6th Street north of the 91, across from the entrance for the Container Factory (Dart Container). If you get off the 91 Westbound at Maple, turn right off the exit, go past the light, there is an office/stripmall complex on the corner, they are the next building past that on the right (Dart Container is on the left). They have a very small sign, and you enter at the rear of the building. The beads and blasting abrasives are under the counter towards the North end of the building. Ask anybody behind the counter, and they will give directions on how to find it.

Get the idea I spend some time in these establishments?:D