HybridZ

I think the LS1 was a good choice ...

Last weekend I took the SVT Focus daily driver (yes it's a Ford and yes it's a POS but I'm not brand loyal or anything) to the last autocross of the season. Had to get at least one fix this year since the LS1/240Z swap is not complete. Anyway I was instructing a couple new guys and it really hit home what I'll have when it's driving next spring (yes 2008 and that's my final answer!). Anyway, one was a newer GTO and every time he hit the pedal my head hit the seat. Nice feeling. The other car was an EVO and when I said punch it he would but you could barely tell that anything was happening. I know the EVO doesn't quite have the power of the GTO but the 5.7 liters of head snapping torque vs the high strung turbo four banger was night and day. More so than the raw HP numbers would indicate. Makes me glad of the LS swap choice and now I'm even more anxious to get it done. I picked up the engine mounts, crossmember, etc from the powerdercoater today so hopefully this weekend the engine will be back in for the last time! Now it's mostly putting it back together and tying up some loose ends but the light at the end of the tunnel is starting to appear.

Cameron

You're probably right, but that head snap is hardly an indication of power. My friend's EVO IX MR smoked a 6.0 GTO on a roll from 40-130 and all he has is big turbo, big FMIC, exhaust, turbo, stand alone engine management and stock internal except for the cam; the GTO had various bolt-ons and a 120 shot of N20. The EVO also has seen 12.05 at 120+mph.

The EVO can give you the head-snap you want but it'll make it stick as it continues to launch hard.

wow. that evo has all that and only mustered a 12.0? something is wrong.. my cam/header/stall Camaro is running 11.7s and an evo around here with just a turbo back is running 12.0s and 11.7s on a 50 shot.

but you will love your LSx swap every time you start it up.. what are your mods going to be?

EVO: 286hp @ 3263 lb or 0.0876 hp/lb

GTO: 350-400hp @ 3725 lb or 0.0939-0.107 hp/lb

That's only a 7%-12% increase in hp/lb but the seat of the pant feel is absolutely night and day difference so my point was the observation of 'there's no replacement for displacement'. Sure anything can be built to beat anything and my point was not to degenerate into 'my completely not stock blah blah can beat the snot out of a stock blah blah.'.

It's the big grin factor ... and the Z's a good 1,000+ lb lighter so I can only imagine.

Anyway for now it's just got a K&N on the MAF and a dual 2.5" exhaust but otherwise it's stock. I figure I'll take a year to get used to it then probably go with a cam swap. Also starting with the 3.9 LSD from the L6 days so we'll see how that goes as well.

Cameron

Slightly off topic, but I'm reminded of an episode of the British car show "Top Gear" from a couple of years ago, featuring a review of a special-edition (but still factory, at least in the UK) Evo with 400 hp. First, the Evo was driven all-out on a road-racing track, and posted a time comparable to a Lamborghini something or other. Next, the host drag-raced the Evo against an economy rental car with a ~90 hp 4-banger. Both cars started in their highest gear, at 50 mph - and both drivers floored the gas. The result was remarkable - the rental car actually pulled ahead! It walked away from the Evo, while the latter was hopelessly out of its power band, and unable to build boost.

And at the end of the day, it's still an EVO. I have never been a fan of this car, not because of the performance, but because of Mitsubishi's track record in quality/fit/finish. Not to mention the plastic/cheap interior design.

I think the LS1/2/6 platform is the absolute best way to go, and as I've said before, I'd do one ASAP if I could sell my existing powertrain. No questions asked.

Mike

^I run silviav8.com and the guy who owns that car is on there.

Also the guy I bought my evo 9 engine from, sold it to put an ls1 in it.

I have had every part of an evo apart and I can tell you the build quality is very good. Stock they come with aluminum body panels, (10) forged aluminum suspension arms and brembo brakes. Interior is nice, don't expect lux, but to me lux is gay. I like gt3 type interior. At the end of the day an evo can be made to go around a track, up a hill, or down the strip quicker than most cars out there for not much money. Plus it has a full back seat and trunk. The only thing I hate about the evo is the looks, but I don't buy a performance car for anything more than performance.

I love the ls1 engine, sh1t I have a forum dedicated to putting it in a 240sx. Have had one in a fc, will have one in my s13 and if I had enough money I would have one in my s30.

I hate that "at the end of the day" thinking. Everyone sinking v8's, big money, time, and blood sweat and tears into there s30 must be crazy then. Cause at the end of the day, it's still a datsun.

Although the LS1 is a good source for power, I think it's too soon to say it was a good choice for your car based on another car. What it comes down to is whether your successful in what your trying to achive.

Drag? Auto X? Street fun? Road course/ competetion?

It really depends what your doing with your car, because the right choice for you could be the absolute wrong choice for someone else.

I hate that "at the end of the day" thinking. Everyone sinking v8's, big money, time, and blood sweat and tears into there s30 must be crazy then. Cause at the end of the day, it's still a datsun.

And most people who aren't Datsun Zcar fans will say exactly that... That's why this is a Datsun forum and not an EVO forum.

Mike

My freind has a evo 8 just off the subject a bit here but he has short ram intake had a guy redo the timing and such via laptop , some exhaust system from japan cost 1,200$ removed the rear seats etc etc .

It seems quick but my supercharged 280z with a 350 sbc 280 whp 300 wheel torque tore him up in the 1/4 mile running 5 lbs of boost . I ran a 13.5 best was a 13.2 average 13.4. He went to the same local local track 5,400 ft above sea level " Pueblo Colorado " best time 14.8 in the 1/4 15.0 was average he complained the tires would spin on the evo for the first half of the track sure i said .

Sometimes id love a Ls1 conversion but im now going with a supercharged 383should be fun

Jason