HybridZ

Am i the fastest 1/4 mile stock T3 S30 here?

Jersey

12.004 @ 114.62mph

Reason i'm REALLY asking is because i told myself i wanted to get this basic setup i have into the 11's before i rip the motor out and do some upgrades. Soooo, now it's winter and i never got the track this year to make an 11's run and the ol' Z is just crying to be messed with. Stock (82zxt) 2.8 block, never seperated from stock head, stock T3, stock ECU. No meth, nitrous.... Anyone? Here's my full setup...

'82 L28ET & ECU

T3

P90

R200 3.54 open w/CV's

'82N/A 5sp

NPR IC

DSM BOV

Act clutch/PP

MSD 6a

370cc inj

AFM sping tightened 18 teeth

Threaded WG actuator

15x8 Eagle Alloy's

225/50/15 Yoko ES100's - street

235/60/15 BFG Dr's - strip

Custom springs

2.5" DP to 3" exhaust

MSD FPR

Walboro 255lpr pump

Custom fuel rail

Weird, i would like to be the fastest in the quarter with this "basic" setup so i can rip it apart but then again, if there is someone faster... i think i could get an 11 with it like this and would seriosly consider not touching it 'till i can get to the track one more time!!! haha. Anyway, hope you all had a great holiday.

- Jersey

Thanks guys.

1 fast z - I'm not really sure what it weighs. The only weight reduction i did to it was remove the spare. I did weigh it once at the track a long time ago and for some reason remember it near 2680. Just a guess though.

Big Phil - First, nice work on the Z. Been following what you've been doing and it's all looking good. Enjoy the videos too. Funny Stuff. I wish you had ran it with that old setup. Sounded close to the setup i have.

280Zforce - I don't think enlarging the DP to 3" on the stock T3 would make any difference considering the T3 exhaust flange is just a bit over 2". Thats just my opinion and i know it's been discussed here a few times.

Gabe - You're killing me man. lol. I just looked at that 12.004 timeslip again and realized, that was over 2 years ago! 10/05, not 2006. huh. You're really leaning me toward just letting it rest another year in the garage and do nothing until i run it again. hmmmm...

I just want to let the ones who read this understand that i'm not trying to boast about the speed, just looking for a push in helping me make a damn decision! lol. Another weighing factor is, if i yank the motor, i don't have all the upgrades that i'd like to do while it's out. All i have is an N42 intake... basically for looks only but so much easier when the L is on a stand, 60mm TB... won't do much either on stock ported head, ECM and MAF from Z31... which might help a little since i'll be getting rid of the flapper and can fool around with a tune from Bernard, if he's still doing them. Or, just build the MS and adjust on my own. The manual tuning i'm doing now is so bad, it definitely kills either the bottom end running too rich or the top, running way too lean. I'm sure a little programming would help wake it up a bit. But, i have no T3/T4, no larger injectors, no port/pol head, no forged pistons... and basically no extra $$$ to blow right now on all the upgrades i'd like to do. Dilemma time!!! Anyway, thanks guys for the input. Maybe i just miss spending time in the garage with just me and the Z. haha.

After I megasquirted my red Z and was running the stock t3 still I was running against low 12 cars. I raced a 600cc motorcycle that ran a 11.1 earlier that night at the track with a drag slick. And he only beat me by 3 cars. But can't compare that to anything. My guess at its peak I was running 12.2 nothing faster so I think you've got the fastest. But I say whats another 11 second l28 with lots of stuff done to it compared to be the ONLY 11 second l28 with the stock turbo and longblock. So keep the t3 and tell us what it can do :)

I will be running a t3 soon and will be seeing what it can do before it blows up so you might have alittle competition. That is after I have the new turbo ready to go in:)

I know it's really tough to do, and it's going to get even tougher as Spring approaches, but I would leave it alone and tweak lightly. I personally would love to see you make a few very carefully selected changes to see how much more you can squeeze out of the setup. It's kind of like an F1 team trying to get that last hundreth of a second off of their lap time by tightening a screw down a little more.

I think it would be more fun to push what you already have further and further while pushing your tuning and driving skills to the max.

I know speed is addictive so I would also understand if you wanted to step it up a few notches and break down the walls with a major swap. However, I think there is more fun still left in your setup.

Good luck with the decision!

I thought the point of Hybrid Z was to stop trying to squeeze blood from a stone. Sure, at some point we're all trying to make the best of what we have, so I guess you could consider that "stone squeezing", but you get the point. In my mind there is nothing particularly heroic about suffering for another year with a turbo that is too small. If you want more power, you know what to do and how to do it. The question is how fast do you want to go?

UG... you guys are killing me! Ha. Thumper, are you going to be putting in a new T3? And i do agree what you're saying about doing a few upgrades and then getting the 11. Not that big of a deal and the next goal with the L would be huge... and expensive to say the least. What the original plan was to build a streetable 11 sec Z then concentrate on building it to be worthy of a (Watkins Glenn) track car, but still streetable. Evil, Bernardd, cygnusx... you guys are definitely swaying my decision as well. THANKS FOR NUTTIN! lol.

Bernardd - would i be able to datalog the Z31 ECU? My profession is Computer Networking/Systems Engineer so i'd really get into be able to make a run, check the laptop for spark/fuel mixtures throughout the run, make adjustments then get back on the track, over and over until i get it dialed in. If so, could you send me the information on the equipment i'd need to do this? You can send me the information privately if you'd rather not share all of your hard work you've put into this setup in this post. If you'd rather not share, i do understand as well.

UG... you guys are killing me! Ha. Thumper, are you going to be putting in a new T3? And i do agree what you're saying about doing a few upgrades and then getting the 11. Not that big of a deal and the next goal with the L would be huge... and expensive to say the least. What the original plan was to build a streetable 11 sec Z then concentrate on building it to be worthy of a (Watkins Glenn) track car, but still streetable. Evil, Bernardd, cygnusx... you guys are definitely swaying my decision as well. THANKS FOR NUTTIN! lol.

I'm going to see how far the junkyard turbo will handle before whatever blows on a $450 complete turbo engine. We will see:flamedevi

I also see Jon's point. Doesn't matter what you are running you are still faster than you were so yeah good luck either way. Me I like to make goals and engineer a way to do something that most can't do. 11's with a t3 is one of them.

Bernardd - would i be able to datalog the Z31 ECU? My profession is Computer Networking/Systems Engineer so i'd really get into be able to make a run, check the laptop for spark/fuel mixtures throughout the run, make adjustments then get back on the track, over and over until i get it dialed in. If so, could you send me the information on the equipment i'd need to do this? You can send me the information privately if you'd rather not share all of your hard work you've put into this setup in this post. If you'd rather not share, i do understand as well.

Tuning nissan ecu's is an open book, there are no secrets, everything is explained at a number of websites. Take a look at nistune. It will do everything you want to do. You could talk to Jeffp about his, I think it might be available soon if not already. I am assuming that you have a laptop or two kicking around.

That said, I think there is no reason not to spend 200 or so on a bigger junkyard turbo. Mine was around there, and with the difference in weight you have the potential to run 10's.