HybridZ

Tips for modifying,upgrading,or restoring a Z on a budget.

MJLamberson

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my upgrade and why it belongs on this page:

#1: Fuse block uses AGU fuses which are cheaper than Maxifuses or Breakers.

#2: Fuse block was purchased on Ebay for $11.00 which is less than 1/2 of retail.

I followed the instructions in the "AtlanticZ" link in the fusible link post that if you search for you will find.

Just be careful, in my Z all the wiring was white with red stripe, real easy to get confused.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some great info here, lets keep this going, As soon as I get some I will post up. I do have to say. I am going to be replacing my fusible links with the Radio amp fuses, the 2 fuse block from wal-mart, 2 of those, they are 12 each, I am sure Ebay would end up cheaper. But use two of those and a piece of amp wire from the possible on the battery. Then run the 4 white/red wires as normal from the 4 output sides. Oh, investing in a decent pneumatic setup will pay of, ie, Air Drill with wire wheel and other attachments, cutting wheel, paint gun, and other such tools, can prove useful in rust removal.

• 2 weeks later...

As many of you know, some parts aren't available any more and you have to go scrounging. My '74 260z has inspired several scrounging trips.

I recently repaired a window regulator, it had a bad roller and a screwed up plastic guide. I used a "Prime-Line" 3/4" diameter shower door roller to replace a broken roller (available at Lowes). I wouldn't want to replace all the rollers with them, but it works fine for just one.

The window assembly has a plastic bar that slides in the guide near the front of the door. Mine was gouged badly and the mounting tabs were partially broken. I roughed the plastic bar with 80 grit and cleaned it thoroughly with xylol. I kneaded some Versa-Chem "Magnum Steel" (available at O'Reillys) and rough formed it with my fingers. After it dried, I shaped it with some sandpaper. Luckily I was able to pop rivet the bar back onto the window assembly. It has worked well so far.

I serviced the heater box and soon discovered that the air ducting was a dirty mess. It required new flexible tubing with a 2" I.D. I found a vacuum hose replacement kit at Lowes that works very well. It was $19.00. The kit has 8' of flexible vacuum hose and the fit is perfect. I had about 10" of hose left after I replaced all the worn duct. The part is Shop-Vac 2 1/2" x 8' Lock On vacuum hose. Don't let the 2 1/2" on the box fool you, the hose is actually 2" ID.

Hope this helps.

Randy

As many of you know, some parts aren't available any more and you have to go scrounging. My '74 260z has inspired several scrounging trips.

Good stuff, thanks a bunch!! :2thumbs: That is what this thread is all about right there!!!!

• 1 month later...

Its almost hypnotic, isn't it?

Wow, went out at 2am and got some washing soda... I wonder if the voltage/amperage has to be stronger for a larger volume of water... If so, how much washing soda and current would need to be used for a pool? (j/k):D Out of curiousity, does the temperature of the water matter? I'm guessing that the reaction would happen faster in distilled warm, hot water...

Is the black stuff left over still rust, technically? can it be painted over, or does it need to be removed as well?

Edited by Northstarninja

Wow, went out at 2am and got some washing soda... I wonder if the voltage/amperage has to be stronger for a larger volume of water... If so, how much washing soda and current would need to be used for a pool? (j/k):D Out of curiousity, does the temperature of the water matter? I'm guessing that the reaction would happen faster in distilled warm, hot water...

Is the black stuff left over still rust, technically? can it be painted over, or does it need to be removed as well?

I've used a garbage can full of liquid with just a few spoon fulls and it worked fine. Make sure you clean all the black stuff off with soapy water. If not, it will just turn back into rust. It will be a nice black color once you are done and then it needs to be painted or treated somehow or it will rust even quicker than before.

• 2 months later...

Here's a huge one for 280z and 280zx owners.

I have not researched this, but it seems like it makes sense.

I got this tidbit from a fellow car guy.

An alternate source for a fuel pump is from EFI'd Volvos.

They also use Bosch L or K-Jetronic fuel injection, so it stands to reason the feed on the injectors would require the same fuel PSI.

The junkyard closest to my house is filled with clunker Volvo's.

• 9 months later...

sorry this is long and rambles.. this ones theoretical cause i havent gotten this far but im thinking about doing my own dash because i have eletrical problems that seem unending and i personally see it easier to write my own diagrams seperating all the systems out so they no longer entangle other systems when they have problems.. anyhoo my point was that in this process i decided that if the means are there id like to do a homemade metal dash and just do toggle switches for everything... so heres the thrifty/neat part..

for the dash lights, im doing away with the combo switch and just wiring an on off toggle so i thought hey, i could use a volume pot (potentiometer) from a guitar (tone knob should be same) as a dimmer right? might look kinda cool on the metal dash too i think...

btw im trying to build a challenger right now (not like i have money) and i have a complete 71 coronet 4 door driver that i got for 850 with a factory 383. although this is the wrong website for such a car, it kinda follows suit if any of you are also mopar guys. basically the only things i need to buy to make a roller challenger a driver is this $850 four door and a different driveshaft.. and i found discs for $100 but thats kinda optional i guess.. i think even the windshields are the same! oh the power of prayer!

and just as a final note... i think the reason im begining to like zs more than mopars is the community that comes with. see theres tons of datsun guys that are thrifty and make things work just like me and arent afraid to take an already sweet car and make it AWSOME! and challenger guys seem to only restore cars and never drive them to the point where the praised thriftiness of this thread seems rather frowned upon on mopar forums... GO DATSUN!!!

On the pesky, tiny, rubber vaccum lines in the 280Z's, that keep splitting at the ends where they fit onto a Tee or coupler. You keep cutting the split end off and it cracks again next week. Get some silicone RC fuel line, slip it OVER the end of the vacuum line and then get a slightly larger Tee or coupler that fits the silicone fuel line...no more splits!

Edited by cygnusx1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a 1986 Nissan pick up. It is a four cylinder with two spark plugs for each cylinder. It has developed an irritating choking down when i press over half throttle. Clears up when I let up on the gas pedal. Thought the problem might be an old fuel filter, but can't locate one in that fuel injection nightmare. I am an old man from the old days of flathead engines and carbuerators. Smog controls and fuel injection set ups just baffle me.

Is it possible, has it been done, to replace the fuel injection set up with an intake manifold that supports two "duces". I could understand this better than what's on the rig now and have a better chance to work on it myself and maintain it. 

DAN 1 "The Old RetroBate".

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm thinkin giant fiberglass tub with fittings to hook a pump to circulate the sodium bicarbonate/water solution, hooked up directly to a 220v, then another tub right next to that, same size, containing an acid to remove all the black leftover stuff.

I think with the liquid in motion it would take a lot less time. I also know that I will probably never do this, but it's fun to think about.

I know it's a super old post, but for anyone thinking about doing this...

I just wanted to point out this would be a horrible idea unless you first converted your 220v from the socket to DC. If you use AC you're just going to rust it more.

Edited by Midri

• 2 months later...