HybridZ

What would you do?(car buying decision)

Let me give you a little idea of my situation. I'm 16 and i want to buy my first car. I've always been interested in cars and i've always been a nissan guy. I looking for something fun to drive and take up to the local roadcourse. I don't mind a project since i can borrow the family truck when the car isn't running.

Now for the hard part choosing a car. My criteria are as follows:

• Cheap- meaning not a BMW (less than 4K)
  • RWD
  • NOT A CIVIC

I've got it down to a s30 or a 240sx. I like both but the z's are hard to find in good shape.

240sx

Pros

• Tons of parts
  • No restoration required
  • Newer

Cons

• Fugly w/o body kit
  • kinda ricer ish

s30

Pros

• Looks good
  • Rare(er)
  • Did will pay to ship
  • simpler to work on (less electrical)
  • Faster with mods

Cons

• Rust!!!
  • Restoration cost
  • Parts are expensive

Sorry for the long post but i need some help with my decision. I'm open to any other suggestions as long as they meet my criteria.

You can use the "edit" button to edit your post. ;)

Between those two, I would probably go with the 240, especially if this will be a daily driver and especially being your first vehicle. Not saying that you will wreck or hurt your first car, but I know what I was like with my first car, I was pretty hard on it.

I would then find an S30 to be a toy, will also give you more time to save up for a solid chassis and the required time to find a good solid chassis.

Other vehilces that could match your criteria are S-series GM trucks/SUVs, I have one that I'm doing a "mild" build up on that will once again be my daily driver and more importantly a tow vehicle.

You can pick up V6 3rd gen F-bodies pretty cheap.

As much as I hate to suggest this, a Fox bodied Mustang in 4 cyl/LX trim can be had for pretty cheap.

the e30 was a good point since they can easily be had for under 4k, but the aftermarket support is not the greatest...awesome cars though. Hmmm, I assume rust is an issue in your state(pardon my ignorance, i live in southern cali where its pretty much always sunny) and you're probably on a budget since your 16 so an s30 is going to be a handful when it comes to the $$ issue. I have owned or own an e30, 240sx and a s30 and although the 240sx was the slowest, it was my first car and it was a blast. not too fast, but cai/headers and a dual friction clutch kept me satisfied for a good while. i beat on that car everyday and took it up to redline every chance i could get...never broke anything! good luck with your decision and remember that it IS your first car so you most likely wont have it for long if you're anything like most of us.

in this order: e30, 240sx, s10 (im going to go out on a limb since you want rwd and condisdered 240sx that you want to drift, s10s will slide nicely). s30s are easier electrically but the higher cost on everything else, bundled with the spindle pin alonne should be a deterrent.

E30 for the win. the 325i head has some great turbo manifolds for it from cartech. The 318i gets great MPG, although the 325 isn't bad at all. The low compression 3253(2.8L) has low compression and the i head bolts right up to it allowing for use of the turbo manifold...

Stay away from the iX if it is your daily driver... they are reliable... but IF they break, they stay broken until you hit the lotto.

www.e30tech.com

I have a highly modified 74 260 Z with a V8 but I think you would be happier with the 240sx because of money. You can buy a decent rust free one around here for $1500 and start driving. They do well at track days even in stock form. Insurance should be fairly low.

+1 for MKII! Those are fun cars. Fairly quick, the exhaust note is pretty nice once you open it up a bit. They are pretty reliable. I don't think 240sx look bed w/o a body kit...my old S13 was stock body with front lip and lowered and I thought it looked nice. And my friends S14 looks nice too with a lip and lowered. But yeah... for 4k or under you can find a clean modded S13, a near stock S14, for like 2k you can find a pretty clean MKII and have money left over to do whatever with...so my vote goes to the MKII. GREAT first car for anyone.

EDIT: +1 for bmws not being expensive. I sold my modded 89 325is for $2500. I kinda miss that car :'( all it needed was to be lowered and it woulda been sick. Ran a 14.8 at the track with just a chip, full exhaust and CAI.

509455_47_full-1.jpg

Pic after some ******* at the college stole my front lip ;[

EDIT: Damnnn that second MKII is my new temp wallpaper :D

The supra would be fun, but they are really hard to come by around here. I've found a couple e30's in good condition on craigslist, along with more 240's than you can shake a stick at. Guess i should point out that this would only be driven in summer since in the winter i drive the truck. How would a 325is with what ever common mods are available compare to a turboed(sp) 240 kadet, for auto crossing and occasional road track racing?

eh people turbo the 325is...gotta look around. A bit less commmon than KA-T, but it happens. I figured though 14.8 in the 1/4 was pretty decent enough. That bmw handled pretty well too...I dunno Germans sure do know how to design cars. It was such a smooth ride, but just firm enough. I'm sure more power could have been made with tuning an SAFC or something and maybe a cat delete.

The S30 will require a bunch of money to get it even close to being fun and then they all seem to need paint. When you are young money is usually not as abundant. Unless you really love the looks and can afford to put money into it I would pass on it and get a BMW or even the 240sx.