HybridZ

EBAY CV setup for Z's

DREW RBZ

Guest TeamNissan

Ya, this guy has been selling those for a while now. He gets damn good money for them too. They are nice IMO but I always like to see some user results before dropping that kind of money. Prob because I'm poor lol.

To many pieces and parts for my liking ....

The only "extra" pieces are the bolt on adapters. I think it's a nice setup, especially for a 510 where using an R200 is just massive overkill and the halfshaft angles get really funky when the car is lowered a lot. Gives you a strong Porsche CV upgrade and works with R160, R180, R190 (I'm guessing), and R200.

I think it's a good deal also, especially considering adapters from Ross are over $200.00 plus you still need to find 300ZX Turbo axles.

I think I dropped at least $450.00 to put together my CV setup and it's based on used JY axles.

The auction doesn't show what the reserve is so they might go for a lot more than $450.00 but considering it's all new parts and shouldn't have the binding problem some of us have experienced with the 300ZX axles I'd certainly consider it if I hadn't already done my conversion.

Wheelman

The only "extra" pieces are the bolt on adapters. I think it's a nice setup, especially for a 510 where using an R200 is just massive overkill and the halfshaft angles get really funky when the car is lowered a lot. Gives you a strong Porsche CV upgrade and works with R160, R180, R190 (I'm guessing), and R200.

Your 100% correct. If I'd have examined the actual parts, I'd have seen that... thanks for that. :redface:

My 930 CV conversion cost me a lot more than $400. $50 each for the 930 CVs, $300+ for machinging the adapter plates, $200+ for the axles, and another couple of $100 for boots, flanges, and misc stuff to complete the set-up (total more than $900, and that doesn't count the research, trial and error, and spare parts needed to fab up the initial design). In reality, this is not too bad a deal (depending on reserve).

standard.jpg

Wow lots of money... BUT I designed mine about 10 years ago and I think it cost me about 400 bucks including used CV shafts. And a lot of time. This is a good deal!

You know the Z scene is getting very cool! More stuff is available every week. It puts a smile on my face.

Yeah, that which was available in the beginning is now becoming available to the masses.

(Group 4 FIA Homogolated S30's were running true CV's almost from the start!)

We are considering it for the Bonneville car simply for the transmission efficiency. On a car going max out, 2-3% would be considerable for the investment.

We are considering it for the Bonneville car simply for the transmission efficiency. On a car going max out, 2-3% would be considerable for the investment.

That number and hp increase is figured for a race 510. When they are lowered a lot the U joints are at really severe angles, much worse than a Z. You could feel vibrations just driving in a straight line in my friend's 510 due to U joint angles. I've never heard of or seen that problem with the halfshafts on a Z. Not trying to talk you out of it, just doubting it would make as big a difference on a dyno.

That is my thought as well. If the axle were straight in the normal ride height, I would think the efficiency of CVs over U-joints would be minimal to non-existant. But there will always be changes in this geometry, especially if you include aerodynamic downforce devices.

I've got these on my car running a r200. They seem good but i havent really leaned on them yet but we'll see in the furture with my new engine, I had the money at the time so I thought i'd splurge. Bought 3 sets with a couple of other guys nearby and i think the price came down US$100 a kit. Nice kit and simple to install.