HybridZ

Post you best/worst auotmotive injury

Guest TeamNissan

Once removed my thumb nail with a sledge hammer trying to remove knuckle bearing plates on an old fj-40.Missed what i was trying to hit with a lot of force and hit my thumb nail instead which was firmly resting against the hub.

Also poisoned myself using too much brakleen in a propane heated shop-just so you know-low lying brakleen fumes mixed with heat = Phosgene gas(used by the nazis in world war 2 as a nerve agent).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could have had a bad one today, I was grinding off some spot welds (the ones I asked you guys about), just trying to make it smooth, and then it hit me, yesterday I dropped the gas tank to take of a bumper shock... and for some reason I couldnt remember reconnecting the hoses... if that were the case there would have been a big boom.... bye bye face.

Ive got 2 so far.

I was unbolting the exhaust from under our wrecked GTO and when I gave the bolt some pressure, it loosened and I slammed my hand on the metal under the car which hurt like crazy. I just sorta layed there and said some profane things.

Second, when we were procharging the GTO I was under the front of the car and some dirt went up my nose and I started coughing and I sorta vomited in my mouth and when I went to get up I slammed my forehead into the car when I thought I was clear. I kinda felt like an idiot. but yeah no serious injuries yet.

I have one more to share ...not car related but engine related never the less....Lawn Mower!

Along with a few other small repairs I changed the pull cord on a mower. I decided to see if I could start it up before replceing all the covers. It was one of those hard pull mowers, so I placed my foot on top and yanked the cord hard. REAL HARD! The next thing I recall see was the 5" diameter metal disk flying at my head! A split second later I did a full back flip hit the ground face down with blood everwhere!!

I FORGOT TO REPLACE THE NUT that secures the pull pully!

I was about 17 at the time and my mom was standing right there...she started doing one of these...:willy_nil....so I covered the spot on my face that hurt the most...the right eye. Due to the amount of blood and pain I honestly believed I had lost my eye and refused to show mom as I figured I needed a drive to to hospital and didnt want to freek her out completely. I ran to the bathroom in a daze...took a deep breath and checked out the damage in the mirror. Thank goodness....the pully hit me right in the eyebrow and split the area wide open. Several hours and 7 stitches later I was back home with a huge headache.... tightening down the efen nut!

It healed perfectly and you would never know it happened...but wow , imagine if it was half an inch lower! Somebody was looking over me that day!

Oh ya...I dont fix lawn mowers any more....I just buy new ones.

I was zip cutting a piece of steel of for a go kart a couple years ago and the bar started shaking really bad so I grabbed with my left and and the grinder kicked back and rolled over my thumb, it took the end off just behind the nail. I still cant apply pressure to it the nail is gibbled and it hurts like hell on cold days... I wear gloves EVERY time now heh heh.....

One time, i was working on one of my spitfires under a buddy's lift. I was using an angle grinder to remove the remains of a front crossmember. The got caught and the grinder kicked back at my face, cut through the left lense/frame of the brand new oakleys i was wearing, and then cut a 1.5 inch gash below my left eye. I'm pretty sure those glasses saved my eye...i just wish the warranty covered being hit in the face with an angle grinder.

The other time, i was trying to diagnose a fuel problem under with my stingray. I was underneath the car, clearly wasn't thinking, and disconnected one of the fuel lines that was right above my face. As soon as the line was removed from the fitting, a gasoline poured out and went up my nose, in my mouth, and in my eyes. I smelled gas for the next week.

Alright i was taking apart my old z after its fatal crash. i was trying to salvage some parts while just destroying others. I think it was the fan shroud that i was trying to remove.... but i figured hey its plastic i can just use a pry bar real quick and crack the plastic since the other half of it was already cracked and off it will be.

Well, I'm standing at the front of the car and pulling on the pry bar from the top and i am pulling really hard, and I get nothing ... so being the persistent jackass I am, I try again... well it cracked this time but i guess i lost my grip and the pry bar swung around 180 degrees and smacked me in the head... Well i thought the fan shroud had cracked but apparently the pry bar just slipped off and now I just feel like a flipping idiot and accomplished nothing. I continued to work on the car until blood starts dripping down on the floor and I immediately realized what was up. I bandaged my self up and began looking for my 10mm wrench.

Moral of the story: Sometimes it easier to just remove the small bolt.... scratch that its always easier to remove the small bolt than use brute force.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I was sitting on my garage floor bolting up the tow plates, because the underbody coating finally dried, I get up and behind me sits the rear hatch. As I stand up my back gets a nice 1/2 inch gouge in it from the corner of the hatch. It hurts like a bioch, at the time i didn't know it cut me that deep, but i was jumping up and down in pain. wow that hurt.

Remember how you used to find a misfiring cylinder? Sooo, I'm pulling ignition wires one at a time to find the bad cylinder. And yes, I've gotten zapped a few times. I've done this a thousand times. Well on this occasion, I was well grounded, groin firmly pressed to the fender. I honestly beleive sparks shot out the end of my magic wand!!!! Maybe thats why I'm so good in sack. No permanent injuries that I know of.

Not auto related, but should get me an honorable mention. I had an above ground pool. My neighbor filled in his big inground pool, and gave me this HUGE super pump. So I plumbed it in. Tremendous gallons per minute!

Soooo, I'm in the pool, with my old school gym shorts on. I've got about 3 different hoses connected together, and proceed to vacuum the pool. During my cleaning, one of the hoses becomes disconnected. It the starts to snake through the water like an ANOCONDA. Somehow, it finds its way to, (if remeber correctly) my right TESTICLE! %*@#$%^#$$%#

I was in a DEATH ROLL with this monster. Time to MAN UP. So I grabbed my package and wrestled it from the jaws of death. Once again, no permanent damage that I know of. Although, some people call me lefty?

Remember how you used to find a misfiring cylinder? Sooo, I'm pulling ignition wires one at a time to find the bad cylinder. And yes, I've gotten zapped a few times. I've done this a thousand times. Well on this occasion, I was well grounded, groin firmly pressed to the fender. I honestly beleive sparks shot out the end of my magic wand!!!! Maybe thats why I'm so good in sack. No permanent injuries that I know of.

Probably won't have to worry about having kids for a little bit :eek2::lmao:

I was trying to diagnose a rich condition on a friends late 80's 325i, it was rich(black smoke, couldn't get out of it's own way) unless you were hammering on it. I figured it might be the FPR. I undid the bolt, put my hand over it to shield myself from high pressure gas. Give it a yank, pop, a little gas comes out, nothing bad happens. Fiddle with it for a minute yup it's seized up, got it to move more freely so I put it back on and went for a drive. Car was a little better but still not right. I go to take the FPR off again, not wearing safety glasses or anything, didn't even think about it, undid the bolt and gave the bastard a yank. 60psi of fuel right in the eyes, It seemed like that fuel rail held a quart of gas! I saw it coming and tried to close them but I think even if I was fast enough the pressure would have opened them up anyhow. I ran to the shower as fast as I could and just stuck my head under the faucet on full cold.

That was the worst pain ever. I smelled gas for days and my eyes and whole face were red for a week.

I have one more to share ...not car related but engine related never the less....Lawn Mower!

Along with a few other small repairs I changed the pull cord on a mower. I decided to see if I could start it up before replceing all the covers. It was one of those hard pull mowers, so I placed my foot on top and yanked the cord hard. REAL HARD! The next thing I recall see was the 5" diameter metal disk flying at my head! A split second later I did a full back flip hit the ground face down with blood everwhere!!

I FORGOT TO REPLACE THE NUT that secures the pull pully!

I was about 17 at the time and my mom was standing right there...she started doing one of these...:willy_nil....so I covered the spot on my face that hurt the most...the right eye. Due to the amount of blood and pain I honestly believed I had lost my eye and refused to show mom as I figured I needed a drive to to hospital and didnt want to freek her out completely. I ran to the bathroom in a daze...took a deep breath and checked out the damage in the mirror. Thank goodness....the pully hit me right in the eyebrow and split the area wide open. Several hours and 7 stitches later I was back home with a huge headache.... tightening down the efen nut!

It healed perfectly and you would never know it happened...but wow , imagine if it was half an inch lower! Somebody was looking over me that day!

Oh ya...I dont fix lawn mowers any more....I just buy new ones.

Yeah its really scarey looking at your eye and seeing it bleeding. When I was 11 I smacked myself in the eye with an arrow, hit me square in the eye. I went up to the bathroom and screamed.

How many people have gotten rust in their eyes?

About 15 years ago I was restoring an Alfa romeo 1750 GTV series 1......I was using an underbody paint gun, the guy that leant it to me told me it blocks from time to time and the way to clear it is to hold your thumb over the end and pull the trigger. I had seen him do this a few times so didn't think much about it. So it gets to the time when the gun blocks and I try the unblocking trick...the gun fires underbody paint into my face..up my nose and in both eyes! it winded me and I couldn't see anything....scary!

Lucky for me someone was outside the shed and heard me shout..the nurse at the hospital was not amussed, she had to wash my eyes out with plaster remover. Very lucky escape.

The other nearly dead accident was when I was looking for play in the steering rack of a delorean....I had the car on its jack and removed the front wheel. I climbed under the front but couldn't quite get my head up into the area where I wanted to look, I got out from under the car to lift it some more. Half a turn on the jack and the screw snapped and it fell to the floor....now that was lucky.....and stupid.

Rust in the eye..The answer is yes. Seriously guys, it happened to all of us, make sure the particles are out of the eye.

It happened at night, normal little rust fell under my glasses while I was under the car, no big thing right? I cleaned my eye, it was getting late so I went to bed. Next day it was like I had a grain of sand in it, no big deal, it will come out, right? Well No. I went to the doctor to see if it was still there, and yes! It was digging its way towards the center every time I was opening/closing my eye.

He took mini-pliers to pull the little piece out, after used a mini-grinder to grind my eye, yes you hear right. Trust me, my eye lid wasn't opening easily with a grinder in sight. I have put medication and everything is good now.

Moral of the story, watch out, work intelligently, don't try to go to fast!

Yesterday AJ (capt_furious) and I were working on his 260z, and I was swapping out his driver side halfshaft. The bolts on the hub side were frozen shut, and I couldn't get a good angle with an impact gun. So I figured, busted shaft, I'll cut it in half with my angle grinder.

Well, it worked, and worked well. Except that in such a small confined space, all the sparks landed on my work glove, set it on fire and burned through teh nylon material. So here I am, glove on fire, angle grinder at 11,000 rpm, smoke, pain, lots of profanity.... Fortunately, no serious burn or anything, but it was pretty shitty

WD-40 in my eyes don't ask how it happened :P. One time I was welding in shop class I sat the rod down and it flew out of the electrode holder, Burned through 4 layers of clothing before burning the ♥♥♥♥ out of me.

I cant remember the amount of time's I was trying to get something loose and it did and I slammed my hand on something.