HybridZ

Paint the hood black or leave it red

BayAreaZT

Red or Black?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Red or Black?

• Leave hood and airdam red
    • Paint hood and airdam black

My car is basically a 20 footer right now. It's gonna need to be repainted but that's not gonna happen for a while. There are a lot of water spots on the car. It's worst on the hood and the roof. If I buff them out they come back after two washes and I don't want to have to use rubbing compound, polish, and wax after every two washes. The paint is pretty old and I've already wetsanded and buffed the car so it's getting pretty thin. The air dam has a lot of chips that need to be touched up too.

So my question is, should I spray paint the hood and airdam black or should I leave it as is for now. Another option is to get some touch up paint in a spray can from an auto paint store but that would cost a little more and may not match exactly. I'm on the fence about the black hood and airdam look.

Current

DSC01589.jpg

Proposed

DSC01589_black.jpg

I vote leave it alone, painting those two parts black makes it look like you're mid body work, or just too cheap to get it painted, after replacing some body panels.

the only way to make it look decent in black is to not paint the entire panel, like leave the out 2 inches and then pinstripe the edge, along with leaving the raised part in the middle red. The air dam in black doesn't look right here, as suggested, maybe with the rockers also done in black may look better.

Overall though, i'd say leave it as it is.

If you serach on classicZ, there is a guy on there that has some pics of his red Z with a black hood, doesn't look right at all IMO.

i can understand the situation you are in.. ha. the car looks pretty good as red.. but also nice as black hood and chin spoiler. to me it looks like your chin spoiler has some chips in it etc.. id leave the hood alone..and just fix the air dam with matte black. but a matte black hood would look pretty nice too... my vote goes for black air dam, red hood

btw that is a very nice and clean car you have there.. i hope mine looks that good when its done

have you tried laying done a few layers of good quality carnuba wax. It will act as a sacrificial layer but will make a big difference to the gloss.

My routine (ha, haven't done it in ages) is wash, clay, polish, seal, wax (every 6-12 months), wash (was every couple of weeks), wax (every 1-2 months).

Thanks for everyones input. I think I agree with Cygnusx1. The car needs at least ZGs to pull it off. I would have probably added a black BRE style wing but no plans for ZGs untill I can get wider wheels.

I'll try polishing again. I've been using carnauba wax but I think I'm gonna try a synthetic to see if it keeps the spots away longer.