HybridZ

My Project z32 Swap 71/93

new40z

I posted this in the s30 section but Mario suggested it would be better here. (Thanks Mario!)

Anyway this is my project 240z it's on the road now and runs great, I swapped the engine, trans,dash,seats,suspention, antilock brakes, taillights, a/c from my crashed 93 convertible. Unfortunantly it's @ my home in Ca. and I'm stuck working in Iowa for awhile.

Hope you like the pic's, Please let me know what you think?

John Papasergia (new40z)

4931_thumb.attach

4932_thumb.attach

4933_thumb.attach

4934_thumb.attach

4935_thumb.attach

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The grill is made from scratch and I have some driving lights that go in the two round openings, hopefully I'll install them next trip home. As for the doglegs? I think you mean the flares behind the doors? I made the flares from replacement 1/4 panels (all steel ) If I was starting over I might consider blending them further forward into the doors. I guess There's a lot of things I might have done differently if I had done more research.

Glad you like it.

Heres a better pic of the front

4936_thumb.attach

SL270665_thumb.JPG

The dash swap was pretty straight forward, keep in mind I built my own steering column because I wanted to use all the controls from the z32 and the z32 power steering, (this was a bit more involved---custom engine x-member reversing the steering links, custom tie rod ends.....)

I started with the center console (it has the same bolt up pattern) and worked my way forward, had to relocate the e-brake backwards a few inches then I trimed the dash to fit the arc of the wind shield. Pull the vinly back and cut with a jig saw then stretch the vinly back and glue it down underneath. I welded in multiple mounting tabs alined the z32 a/c center duct and screwed it into place. Easy right? Impretty happy with it, I still have to complete the interior.

PS its pretty darn tight inside the z32 seats are really big.

Here's some pic's

John Papasergia

Photo_061106_001_thumb.jpg

Photo_061106_004_thumb.jpg

Photo_061306_005_thumb.jpg

Photo_061006_001_thumb.jpg

Photo_061106_009_thumb.jpg

Awsome work man, you spend alot of time on that one. I am doing the same swap as you into my Z. Can;t wait for mine to be done, but same story as alot of guy on here i am sure, have to wait for the funds to be there to order some more parts. Have you had a chance to drive her yet? If so how is it?

Yea, I put a few hundred miles on it. It tracks nice and straight- will smok'em on demand and the ride is pretty good although I think I'll play with some different springs when I have some time-- it's pretty stiff. (currently running cheep aftermarket z32 springs)

Good Luck with your project, Let me know if you have any questions.

John P.

Photo_101206_004_thumb.jpg

Photo_100806_001_thumb.jpg

Thanks I will keep you in mind if run into anything in future. Thats what I wanted to know, was how the power was going to be in our lighter car compared to the 300zx. Also good to hear, should be blast to drive then. Although a few more of these swap have come up on this site, each of our cars will be little different and that what I was looking for.

Here's some pics of my front suspension setup . I machined the knuckles from the spindles of the 93 parts so I could mount them to 71 struts and be able to use the antilock system and have the bigger brakes. Maybe a bit unconventional but it was free since I had the parts and ran a machine shop. Oh, It stops on a dime.

image000_thumb.jpg

image001_thumb.jpg

image002_thumb.jpg

image_thumb.jpg

engine_thumb.jpg

I wanted to share some pic's of my other z, it's my daily driver. I bought it a few years back with the insurance $ from a 93 convertible z that I crashed. (yes it was my fault) The crashed car became the doner for my 240z project and I got a pristine replacement with only 13,000 miles. Sometimes things workout, Thanks Allstate.

John Papasergia

convertible Oct 07 149_thumb.jpg

convertible Oct 07 152_thumb.jpg

convertible Oct 07 157_thumb.jpg

convertible Oct 07 159_thumb.jpg

Hey Tyson- Ive been reading your post on cvz for awhile --I think you were going to come to my Tehachapi zbq a few years back- then couldn't make it? (could be wrong, not sure) anyway hope to see you sometime in Bakersfield. --

Justin,

The rear swap works real well but plan on some substantial flares or it'll look funny . I did it with out cutting into the car with a bolt in adaptor for the rear mounts and welded in front bolt locations. It would be easier if you weren't worried about cutting the car and would probably make for an easier install. I wasn't sure I could make it work so I didn't want to cut the car up. Its a bit difficult to explain w/o pictures. Next time I'm home I'll get some documentation put together.-Or if all works out I'll be in CA for the Moter Sport West Coast Nat. show in April. You can see it for yourself. I have more rear suspention pic's. I just have to find them.

John P.

Yeah John that was me. I'm in school down in LA so I miss most of the meets now-a-days. Should be back for a couple of them though, would love to see your Z at the shows. Car looks great in the pictures and I'm sure better in person!!

Take Care,

Tyson