HybridZ

safety and awareness never sleep

blueovalz

Simple job. Mount my wheels to a tire balancing machine and check the tires. No problem......right? Well, my foot inadvertently moved under the foot lever (that activates the machine's spindle in toward the wheel for a very tight fit). My finger was between the gripping paws and the anvil as my toe inadvertently moved the lever up and activated the compression of the anvil against the wheel. I felt the paws sandwiching my finger against the anvil while I was holding the tire, and reacted quickly enough to get my finger out of the way...but not before leaving a little prize with it. The paw pulled clean the top two layers of skin.

Very paindull, veyy hard to type, and I'm very lucky no more rhan skin was eemoved. Be carefull guys! It can happen to anyvody.

standard.jpg

Ewww ouch that looks painfull. Go ahead and burn it too so you wont have a finger print!!

We should start a watch those fingers thread!

here is my personal finger heh, happened a while ago. Went under a chain around a gear on my trials bike, things can happen in a blink of an eye even if you are careful. Take precautions and be prepared!

This is after several years I wish i had some pictures of it after sugery heh.

IMG_3496.sized.jpg

Ewww ouch that looks painfull. Go ahead and burn it too so you wont have a finger print!!

We should start a watch those fingers thread!

here is my personal finger heh, happened a while ago. Went under a chain around a gear on my trials bike, things can happen in a blink of an eye even if you are careful. Take precautions and be prepared!

This is after several years I wish i had some pictures of it after sugery heh.

IMG_3496.sized.jpg

My dad has three of those...good thing it dosen't run in the family!

saw that picture and it made me think back and shudder

well Ive luckly never yet lost a finger tip but my hands look like a map of the interstate with scars and I lost a few finger nails temporarily in the past.

if you do enought mechanic work you eventually bust wrenchs or slip, or get burned and get some scars, but in most cases its a painful yet temporariy problem,

isn,t it amazing how frequently you bump or re-injure an injured finger while its healing!!

Yes, but I put my fabrication skills to work and made a split .060" aluminum cover than was hammered around a 5/8" bolt that had the end rounded off. So now I slip it on they finger after the daily cleaning, tape it up and I'm good to do just about anything and the tip never makes contact with the inside of this cover. Now I need to tweak it a bit so I can type on the keyboard a little better.

I would use salt water to clean it with. Hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, and other cleaning types kill bacteria very well, but it also destroys the white blood cells, platelets, and such that is needed to heal it. I only know this because I'm a pre-pa major and they say that cleaning it with salt water is better now.

• Administrators
Thats impressive Superdan.

Not me, a friend of mine.

Happened to him a few weeks ago, kind of a freak accident.

He is a finish carpenter and was cutting a piece of wood with a miter saw.

A screw in the plastic guard came loose and impacted the blade, the guard exploded and a piece of it came down and filleted his finger open.

It broke his finger in 3 places and when I say filleted that is what it did, it pulled his skin, tendons etc right off the bone.

Took 6 hours of surgery to put all that stuff back around the bone.

I have a before pic somewere... it is pretty bad.

Doctor is guessing maybe %20 usage of that finger with lots of PT.

From my perspective.....it's not so much the accident that's a bitch, ususally because it over and done with so quickly but, it's the extended period of time it take to heal! Lord knows we've all had are fair share of smashed or pinched appendages. All I can say Terry is.....G_d d_mn it.....sh_t, fu_k, cr_p....etc., etc.!!!!!

Tom