HybridZ

My obsession with these Z cars is killing me

zeeboost

They take everything I have: time, money, and now threatening my 7 year relationship with my girlfriend. We just had a long talk yesterday and it really made me stop and think about everything.

I have 5 Zs. (see sig) I work easily a minimum of 60 hours a week. As soon as I come home, I eat and then work on the Zs. As of now I'm doing bodywork and painting the '83 280zxt, which I plan on selling. Then, I have the '77 280 that I need to finish painting, so I can sell that one too. After that I have the '75 280z Widebody that I'm planning on installing a Whipplecharged LQ4 / T56 combo. I love working on these cars - I literally feel I LIVE for these things. But, because of that, I have no life - other than these cars. I have no social life - I have friends from work that ask me to go out with them all the time, but I always tell them "no". On top of that, I have my loving girlfriend, who's been great to me for the past 7 years, that I leave up in the apartment while I'm outside working. Granted, she only visits me on the weekends because she goes to college about an hour and a half away from here, but when she gets here, I spend very little time with her. I know this, but I don't want the cars to just sit there and collect dust. Even when I'm in the apartment with her, most of that time is spent on HybridZ searching and reading forums so I can learn more about what I'm working on. These cars are consuming my life, but I don't want to stop working on them. I wish I only had 1 Z project, but I can't sell my '72 240zt and my '82 280zx v8 - they're my babies, with so much put into them. Then, once I finish the widebody project, I'll probably build a 240zg with a 3.1 stroker that I have all the parts for in my garage :rolleyes:

I've neglected family, friends, and most importantly my girlfriend (people say we're practically married already - and it is being planned on) because of these cars, but it's like crack. I think it would be best for me to sell the Zs and buy a new Z06 or even a new shelby gt500 since I work at a ford dealership and can get a really good price on one. But, then I think about all of the time put into the cars I've already built, and I think about how unique/exotic they are, and how much faster I can make them for so much less than a new car, and how much cheaper the insurance is, and then I'm back to square one. What's sad is I don't see me getting better about this in the future. What if I neglect my own children?? I've always wanted to have a car as a father/son project, but what if they're not interested? Would I spend any time with them otherwise? I would like to think so, but...

Sorry guys, I'm just venting a little bit, but I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who's been through this. I can't talk to my friends or family because they're all biased against the cars. I figured my fellow car nuts would be the best group to talk to about it. How do you guys cope with projects? I see some people make progress very, very quickly on their cars. Are you guys single or just have a very tolerating wife? Is there a certain day during the week that you set aside for family time and another for cars? I don't know what's best, I just know that they're consuming all my time, and I'm afraid I'll end up regretting it in the future when half of my close ones are dead. I know they're just cars to most people, but they're so much more to me...almost like my children (as creepy as it sounds).

I even drove 250 miles this weekend to go see my mother for her birthday, and ended up spending most of Sunday buying parts and fixing my little brother's pocket bike. I know that I'm in way too deep with these Zs right now, but I got myself into this mess and I need to get myself out. F*ck I need help...

So, how do you guys cope?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how you feel, I really do, I lost my Girlfriend over my Z after almost a 2 year relationship, I was spending to much time with the car and ignoring her. I gave up a cell phone to pay insurance and my social life for time... I started working more hours so I could buy more parts and if ti isnt raining out Im working on my car... if it is raining Im on the computer planning to work on my car. dont get me wrong Im not a looser, I have friends, but no time for them, and when Im with them I am always talking about my Z... sometimes its annoying but I cant do anything about it. not to mention Ive stained every jacket I own working on my Z, I just jump right in every chance I get, and I havnt even started the rebuild on my new engine!

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. Make time for her, and your family. Keep a day at least for her per week if you want to keep her. Keep one day for your car, and that is a given. Organize yourself, but I am sure guys on this board will tell you that you have to give up your hobby time in exchange of family time.

I know it isn't fun !! But as work, you have to do it and it is not always fun!!

Dayz

...Is there a certain day during the week that you set aside for family time and another for cars? I don't know what's best, I just know that they're consuming all my time...

I shoot for Wednesday nights and some Saturdays. You'll find the balance.

I started into Z's in 89. Played with them for awhile until 93 and sold most everything when I got married. Got back into them about 1.5 years ago again.

I just think you need to balance it out a little.

Dude - you've got way too many projects. Need to step back and figure out what you're trying to get out of them. If I read between the lines you dont really need the money so why are you building two cars just to sell? Unless you're trying to start a business or something take some meds and focus. There will always be a next project. Hell if you do them all now then what do you have to look forward to? I think most who make fast progress have rich parent on summer break from college OR are more how shall I say ... have more years under the belt and their wives want them out of the house anyway so have plenty of time and $$. These are not worth losing your spouse over. My garage time is pretty much limited to after kids (four of them) go to bed plus a few hours on the weekend. But I still do make progress. In fact I expect to get my driveshaft back by then end of the week and hope to be driving the LS1 Z for the first time this weekend. Having a family does not mean that hobbies have to go away but there needs to be a balance. Figure out what's important to you.

Cameron

Dude i have the same problem,only i have already lost because of it and it sucks.You will regret what you lose because of something else even though you take it for granted now.Ease up and make time elsewhere.If you are like me then you can read good advice all day long and still not bother change,in that case you are screwed like me lol!! or not lol.....nlol?

Hey man I know how you feel.

Lost a few GFs to my vehicular addiction in the past. One day I simple had enough working on cars and spreading myself amongst 5 projects and once. I figured that my time was better spent working and updating myself, increasing my life experiences, VS spending time on inanimate objects that cannot reciprocate beyond our own person sense of satisfaction and achievement. Eventually I sold all but one, it was hard to part with them but I realized that they were doing me no good, I was working on five projects at once, never having time to finish any significant progress. I concluded that I still love cars and that one day I will have my 1972 BMW 2002 and my 1972 Honda N600, and my 1969 Plymouth valiant, and another RHD 1973 240Z in my stable (along with a few other should i be lucky enough!) but I will work on these cars one at a time, devoting my self (and my spare cash) fully so that I can see a project completely through to the end in a timely manner so I can actually enjoy the end product..and not just work work work.

Life is very short and we can't take our ♥♥♥♥ with us, not only that but even if you did finish all your projects eventually, you can only drive one at a time. Prioritize and pick one or two and sell the rest. See that project (or those) to the end and get some enjoyment out of them.

I bought my 240 project at a yard sale for 250 bucks when my son was 1 year, I thought it would be neat to build it for him and figured 16 years would be just about enough time. My wife didn't understand, so my z waited for me -- patiently.

My marriage failed a few years later and while it sat in disrepair my car never complained once.

I went to work in Europe for a few years and continued to neglect the car and still the car never complained.

Several more years after I came home a new girlfriend/fiance became more important so the car waited again - not a peep.

Feb. 2003 my fiance and I broke up for good. It was a really tough time for me.

On Valentines Day 2003 my son and I started a relationship with the one girl who had been there waiting the whole time. She wasn't much to look at but she had a lot of character and I new she loved me because after seven years of neglect she started right up with a set of jumper cables.

I was in love again and it felt great! Over the next 4 years I gave her a new heart, new eyes a complete new body, reshaped her hips, bought her some new shoes and a coat and shaved her butt. (lol, this is getting hard to keep up.) She's now the prettiest girl on the block and my son (now 11) loves her as much as I do, Now he cant wait to turn 16 so he can play with her too. I might get jealous but a deal is a deal.

My relationships were doomed anyways, God I'm glad I never sold my car, It gave me the therapy I needed and brought me a lot closer to my son and now that it's done, I'm making a lot of friends in z car land and ----------------all the pretty girls want to ride with me. ------------------ (OK maybe the last part is a bit of a stretch)

John Papasergia (new40z)

5009_thumb.attach

5010_thumb.attach

5011_thumb.attach

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. Make time for her, and your family. Keep a day at least for her per week if you want to keep her. Keep one day for your car, and that is a given. Organize yourself, but I am sure guys on this board will tell you that you have to give up your hobby time in exchange of family time.

I know it isn't fun !! But as work, you have to do it and it is not always fun!!

Dayz

That's one of the biggest problems right there - I have one free day per week, which is Sunday, so most of the time I'll try to get as much done on the Zs as possible. I work a lot and am highly depended on to be at work - to give you an idea, last year I flagged the most hours out of 18 technicians, so most of my life is spent at work busting my ass.

If I read between the lines you dont really need the money so why are you building two cars just to sell? Unless you're trying to start a business or something take some meds and focus. There will always be a next project. Hell if you do them all now then what do you have to look forward to?

I had an extra L28et, and rather than sell the engine by itself, I found a 280zx shell to swap it into, to paint and resell. I don't plan on doing this again - the zx is not a good car to sell for profit :-). The 77 280 was my first car, and it's just been set aside for too long. I'm planning on moving to Dallas by the end of this year, and I need to have that car gone by then, as I don't plan on taking it with me.

Sparky - You're a better man than I am; I wish I had your strength to part ways with the Zs.

new40z - Thanks for the story - I'm looking forward to that with my son. I also think that's one reason I like working on cars so much - I can have my quiet time, I'm doing something productive, and they DON'T BITCH! They may be stubborn every once in a while, but I guess that's to be expected when I'm trying to shove a chevy drivetrain into them :-)

Life is very short and we can't take our ♥♥♥♥ with us...

Amen. Ever see a U-haul behind a hearse?... me neither.

Guys...this might sound creepy, but I've thought of being buried in my 280ZXT.

It already has the black diamond tuck interior...just like a casket. :weird:

How much is the reserve on a double wide plot? :lmao:

lets hope it doesnt become your casket by accident

Believe me MJ, that thought has crossed my mind many times as well. :bonk::puke:

[Edit: Well I at least have to say something to zeeboost. I'm right there with you Man except I skipped over the girlfried bit and went right to the Z from the start!

I already offered to start "HA" Portland chapter but some of us are still searching that river in Africa...lol]

and that's why until my z has a turbo engine, a almost black blue paintjob, upgraded suspension all around, ZG flares, watanabe's, all new interior, etc. I will stay single.

XP cause Harumi steals my money way faster than any real girl could hahaha.

Besides, I'm WAY to picky about girls, and the type of girls I do like are so rare that I'm better off not looking for one anytime soon haha (and i'm only 19, i've got many years before i should worry about that stuff.)

But to build myself a car that i've wanted even before I knew I did, that comes now.

That's a alot of cars to just maintain let alone complete. Bigtime. I know you hate to do it but sell a few and concentrate on one or two. Ok even then if you did sell a few off you could still spend all your free time on just one car. I admit you are on crack

My advise, if you want it, straight up no sugar coated bs. You are only 23. You have plenty of time to get married. If she can't handle it now.. just imagine married life when she owns you. She should be glad you are not out with your friends, at the bar, hitting on chicks and cheating on her worried. Instead your at home doing what you love, busting your but working 60 hrs a week, making money, learning and developing your mind. Not good enough huh?!.. ..You might have to let her go. Is she really the one? Or just a hottie?, to hard to let go....I have been where you are. I'm 39 much older, my most recent said "for now it's good you have your cars but when we get married we are selling them." 6 months later I was single of my choice. She was also lawyer doing family law so that was a factor too lol. I don't care if I ever get married either, riddles... There are plenty of fish in the sea. You have your Z car hobbie, You are her hobbie.... A recipie for disaster...

I don't know you personally, so how can I give you advise..

But will tell you this. Unless you have to means to throw away cars for your enjoyment...and most of us don't (i don't either by the way. ) She sounds like is going to make you choose, which is lame in my opinion.....So prepare yourself for that. Good luck.

For referernce I will be single forever

I've lost a few GFs over my car addiction, and it's been for the better. No seriously.

The girl I'm with now, understands my car addiction, she even supports it, whol heartedly. She is helping me with getting my S30, and bringing it home. I was showing her some rims last week and she said "How much do we have to save". :D

She owns a house with a garage, and the garage is 90% mine, she needs just a little for her gardening stuff, but that will change with any luck to the shed that is hardly used. ;) Shhhhhh.... don't tell her that I said that though.

The way she looks at it, is that I have a hobby, that is creative, and enjoyable with a planned (ok not always) outcome. She looks at this as something much better than doing drugs or being an alcoholic, it's also something that we can do together, and she does want to learn.

I'm also not always in the garage either, in fact we usually spend at least time for dinner together after I get home from work, and as independant as she is, that is usually enough time for her, to keep her happy as well.

, my most recent girlfriened said "for now it's good you have your cars but when we get married we are selling them." 6 months later I was single of my choice.

It wouldn't have taken me 6 months to be single, closer to 6 seconds. I would have no problem dropping anyone no matter how much I loved them or thought I did, if they told me that my hobby was only going to be temporary, and that once we were married she was going to make the decisions. That's like cutting off an arm or covering my mouth so that i couldn't eat or breath.