HybridZ

Interior work... audio and such..

janaka

Well I spent some time and cleaned up my cardomain page and uploaded a bundle of pictures of the recent updates to the Datsun. So I thought I would share. The audio isn't done by any means but its progress. Surgury this week for me put a real hamper on getting more done but i'll take what i can get.

I've spoken about fiberglass panels for the Z before and now they are finally a reality. I had to install power windows for the car as the FG panels didn't allow the old crank windows to operate. So I added a SPAL power window kit. It worked very well.

Anyway less typing more pictures.

SPAL window kit and edead

2545113_44_full.jpg

Stock looking switch location in center console.

2545113_45_full.jpg

They even light up when at accessory or car is on.. bonus.

2545113_46_full.jpg

here are the panels. Note they are not attached, nor is the mid, nor is the chrome trim by the handle.. just to show ;)

2545113_48_full.jpg

Here's a pic with the FG handle and the mitsu door pull cup that worked out well

I still have to cut the hole for the tweeter to go in so thats still missing.. but you can get an idea of what it'll look like :)

2545113_49_full.jpg

I will be running a 13kv.3 with this and the amps will be two nine.2's from Elemental Designs. one will be mounted behind each seat as they will fit perfect. I cant load pics onto cardomain for some reason but I'll add those later when I get it to work.

Here is the cardomain link if anyone wants to see other parts of the car etc

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2545113

Note the panels are going to be wrapped and not left raw obviously

Be gentle, I'm not a fabricator or audio installer I'm a Canuck!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks good. Had you used edead before this?

Im trying to decide between door speakers and kickpanel speakers.

I have used eDead a few times before. I have my doors and trunk in my civic done with it as well. the rear hatch of the Z has been covered as well already

2545113_17_full.jpg

I too had thought about doing kickpanels but in my opinion I found the footwells to be too narrow to have kick pods in them. I felt like they'd be in the way of being comfortable in the drivers seat and the passanger would be cramped. Not to mention the sound quality would be less than great with the interference of legs being in the way... again my thoughts and reasons for going with the door panels. My legs (6'1") don't interfer with the position of the speaker at all so I like them.

I'm sure it can be done though if you put the time into it.

I too had thought about doing kickpanels but in my opinion I found the footwells to be too narrow to have kick pods in them. I felt like they'd be in the way of being comfortable in the drivers seat and the passanger would be cramped. Not to mention the sound quality would be less than great with the interference of legs being in the way... again my thoughts and reasons for going with the door panels. My legs (6'1") don't interfer with the position of the speaker at all so I like them.

I'm sure it can be done though if you put the time into it.

I put 6.5" in custom enclosures in my kick panel. I have no problem with leg room at all.

I put 6.5" in custom enclosures in my kick panel. I have no problem with leg room at all.

Looks like i was wrong. I knew it would happen one day ;)

I did under the furthest panel (only panel?) on the hatch to stop the vibration of the panel on the hatch when hitting bumps etc. its noticably better.

The eDead was really easy to use IMO. www.edesignaudio.com if you want to see more about it... they have different thickness' available as well as a liquid and a closed cell foam version too... worth looking into. I used the V1 (cheapest one).

I used a simple straight blade to cut it and the plastic backing comes of easy. Great adhesion to everything i've stuck it on so far and no preheating of it is needed like some stick on deadeners. I've used it in 10-15*C weather (in my garage) and it still sticks great. The warmer it is the easier it is to work with but even at those low temps it was really easy. I'll be doing my floor with it when I pull my seats out which will probably be next week sometime. I'm thinking two layers will go on to eliminate road/exhaust noise and keep the heat out/in as well.

how does the window kit work? Does the window go up quick or does it take long time also what kit did you use.

I used the SPAL Delux power window kit, not the standard kit (stronger motor in this kit). It works very well. Windows go from down to up in a few seconds only. I'd say its marginally slower than my 2006 Civic with power windows. Its basically an OEM speed.

On a side note my passanger window has always been tougher to use, even with the crank and it is a BIT slower at the very bottom going down (takes 1sec longer at the most) but going up is a breeze. I was really hesitant about putting the kit in but with some modifications it worked out to be a modification that will set the car apart and make the functionality of the car better. Now I can easily put both windows down from the drivers seat and still have total control of the car and see the road (instead of leaning all the way over to try to roll it down manually)

Feel free to ask any other questions.

I also have the Spal kit in my 73 and I'm very impressed with the quality. The parts are made in Italy and that's a very refreshing change from the crap from China that I'm used to. I also have the spal central locking/alarm kit and it's equally impressive.

Derek

derek, how does the spal kit attach to the window crank in a 240z? Does it not interfere with the stock door panels? I've been contemplating this kit but worried about door panel fitment.

The regulators from the Spal kit fit over the stub where the crank handles attach, with adaptors.

There are also caps that get installed on the door panel, to cover up the crank area.

• 2 months later...
Guest 73LT1Z

I have the door panels off on my '75 280 and am debating doing power windows/locks there. It already has some 4" speaker cutouts from a prior owner, so I am going to have to run wires to the door. I want to reuse my door panels.

For the Spal window kit, is there a specific part number that has a drive unit to fit the Datsun spindle? I found this at a place I have shopped before:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=6603

derek,

Any tips for the Spal power locks/alarm install?

There only seems to be one deluxe window kit, but I want to be sure this is the correct one before I spend money.

Here's my question. I want to put speakers in the factory locations. I'm not sure how they mounted (1974 260Z) because all of the factory panels were removed when I got the car, and the rear quarters were replaced, so I don't see where the speakers mounted in the rear. Without having to do any welding for brackets, what is the best way, and what are the largest speakers I can get in the factory locations? I believe they are originally 4" up front and 5.5-5.75 in the rear. I wanted to go up to 5-.75 up front, and maybe 6.5 or 6x9 in the rear. Any suggestions for any easy install?

I have the door panels off on my '75 280 and am debating doing power windows/locks there. It already has some 4" speaker cutouts from a prior owner, so I am going to have to run wires to the door. I want to reuse my door panels.

For the Spal window kit, is there a specific part number that has a drive unit to fit the Datsun spindle? I found this at a place I have shopped before:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=6603

derek,

Any tips for the Spal power locks/alarm install?

There only seems to be one deluxe window kit, but I want to be sure this is the correct one before I spend money.

I just used the universal kit and there were several parts that fit the window crank. There were no issues finding one that worked for me.

Wow, Great idea on using the fg handles! Are you going to re-upholster it with fg2 style suede with red stitching, or just go with something completely custom?

I can't wait to see the finished product. Good job bud.

I'm getting a local upholstery shop to do the panels and my seats in black and charcoal leather. I will be dropping them off this coming monday actually and they should be done the following week.

I'll post pics when I get them back :)

i think i am just going to either make a box, or put 2 6x9s in the factory panel along the rear under the hatch. What depth of speaker would be good if I am going to start hacking away at the door panels? Don't want them to hit the window

if you are putting them in the stock door panel you will definately need a shallow mount speaker. I doubt anything over 2" will fit into the door panel and not interfer with something. I don't have my car at home anymore or else I'd go measure it for you. sorry.

I'm getting a local upholstery shop to do the panels and my seats in black and charcoal leather. I will be dropping them off this coming monday actually and they should be done the following week.

I'll post pics when I get them back :)

If you don't mind me asking how much are they charging?

If you don't mind me asking how much are they charging?

Not at all. Currently I'm looking at about $1800cdn for both seats, both panels, both arm rests in black leather with charcoal perferated leather inserts.