HybridZ

Making my own EFI intake... The First Casting

Derek

I left the throttle shafts long so I can add torsion spring on the bottom.

Sick as a dog right now but managed to get the parting lines cleaned up on the rear manifold. I shipped it back over to the foundry for shot finishing.

Derek

Hey hope you feel better. You sound like Cough, Me, cough cough, gak, hehe yeah I just want to layingosnowboardingbed. I don't think I can got to work tomorrow, I'm sick. it's the 24"freshsnowinthepast48hoursflu.. , kinda think I might die...

hehe too sick to do real work, but not too sick to work on your own projects.

Phar

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Darn, I felt guilty taking a couple of hours this morning to dewater the ponds in the yard that filled up with all the rain... if I don't drain them, it becomes a mired bog that I cant drive anything onto for months.

And you guys are snowboarding...

Heck, I'm at work now uploading training manuals to the company server...

BAH!

Starting to feel better the last couple of days so I put a little time in on the manifold.

Linkage complete

DSC_0002.jpg

Injector hold down clamp. This ended up being a prototype as I didn't have my plugs in yet. I thought I had everything figured but they're a little high. I should have the plugs in on Friday and I'll do redesign.

DSC_0004.jpg

Air temperature sensor bung worked out perfectly.

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

I also made my butterfly jig for the lathe. Worked like a champ. I did a couple of test pieces and the fit was much better. I still have a tiny crack of light but I'm hoping I can get that figured out.

All the machine and hand work is done to the manifolds. I'm headding down to another foundry on Friday to throw them back in the Wheeabrader machine for a final finishing. Then I can start the final machining of the butterflies and the final assembly!!!

I'm getting scarred. I might actually have to put this on my car soon!

Got a question on the butterfly screws. Any problems using brass as they'll be easier to stake?

Thanks

Derek

I really like these:

DSC_0004.jpg

I'd be interested, and I'm sure others would be too, if we have a bunch made up. The only thing I would change is having it un-drilled for the hose barb or compression fitting. Then you could choose a right angle or straight configuration. This is a great way to use O-ring injectors with hose barb rails.

Very nice!

Pete

I really like these:

I'd be interested, and I'm sure others would be too, if we have a bunch made up. The only thing I would change is having it un-drilled for the hose barb or compression fitting. Then you could choose a right angle or straight configuration. This is a great way to use O-ring injectors with hose barb rails.

Very nice!

Pete

Thanks Pete.

Sorry only available with the purchase of a manifold!

No problem. I can make up some for you guys. I need to stretch them out a hair if you want them to fit the stock bolt pattern.

I agree VERY trick looking. Just make sure you can get your Injector clips on and off easily.

Hi Jeff

Thanks. Wait till I get the lines on!

No clips. The 2 screws compress the injector to make the seal.

Wow, yeah those injector holders look nice. though, I was thinking you might want to drill them at like 35-45 degrees (0 deg to the head) for the fuel barb/fitting since they're kind of close to the head. L28's as you know are a little hot headed, though the exhaust heat shield may be enough to prevent any issues. another idea is running your fuel like below the injectors, basically flipping that clamp 180. Maybe not enough clearance I dunno.

Do you know anyone that can TIG you up a hard fuel rail which you could then have chromed? wouldn't that be pretty?

As for Brass Screws, yes you can use them. a little locktight is a good idea though since they will expand and contract with the engine heat. Matching your screws to your butterflies material will help prevent them loosening, though locktight should keep your engine from eating one...

Phar

P.s: how hard would it be to round the top of those injector clamps about 5-10%? get rid of those sharp edges and stick with the round theme. polished up would look amazing. maybe like this:

http://www.nmzcc.com/images/hosted/injector2.jpg

Wow, yeah those injector holders look nice. though, I was thinking you might want to drill them at like 35-45 degrees (0 deg to the head) for the fuel barb/fitting since they're kind of close to the head. L28's as you know are a little hot headed, though the exhaust heat shield may be enough to prevent any issues. another idea is running your fuel like below the injectors, basically flipping that clamp 180. Maybe not enough clearance I dunno.

Do you know anyone that can TIG you up a hard fuel rail which you could then have chromed? wouldn't that be pretty?

As for Brass Screws, yes you can use them. a little locktight is a good idea though since they will expand and contract with the engine heat. Matching your screws to your butterflies material will help prevent them loosening, though locktight should keep your engine from eating one...

Phar

P.s: how hard would it be to round the top of those injector clamps about 5-10%? get rid of those sharp edges and stick with the round theme. polished up would look amazing. maybe like this:

http://www.nmzcc.com/images/hosted/injector2.jpg

Hi Phar

I'll be throwing the injector mounts in a tumbler that will break the edge.

Here's what I'm planning for the fuel lines.

fuellines.jpg

I have stainless tubing for the lines.

Derek

I sir, bow before you, the project completion god. as soon as I saw this, i started my own version, and poured my initial castings from old L28 pistons. After seeing your latest work, those castings have re-entered the remelt pile...

Merry Xmas everyone!

The old diesel injector look..

Nigel

I like to think of it more of a racing mechanical injection look as opposed to an old diesel look!

I sir, bow before you, the project completion god. as soon as I saw this, i started my own version, and poured my initial castings from old L28 pistons. After seeing your latest work, those castings have re-entered the remelt pile...

That's why I quit poring my own stuff and started concentrating on the pattern work. Professional foundries are set up so much better than backyard foundries for proper melting and degassing techniques. There is so much voodoo involved in pouring metal.

I was actually talking about the Injector clips for the electrical. Just make sure you have enough room to get them off and on before they hit the fuel line.

Oh THOSE clips...... I didn't have any clips-connectors when I did the design so I was conservative with the amount of spacing I left. Unfortunately they sit really high. I have clips coming on Friday so I can finalize the design.

Classy x 10,000,000, I should have guessed.

Have I mentioned that you kick some serious ass??

Thanks Daeron.

Hopefully in a few weeks we'll be hearing it run!

If I can just shake this freeking cold.

Derek