HybridZ

300ZXT CV Issue

gnosez

I have a couple of stock 280zt shafts in the basement. I'll post my measurements also and lets compare.

Yep have a R200 in the rear now with the 260z (we didn't get the S30 280z locally steering wheel is on the other side) mustache bar so what I meant is that the car was originally a forward mount R180 however it is now changed/corrected with the R200 fitted too. I guess I was trying to see if all the other cars with the shaft length issue are all early shells that originally has the forward mounted diff (ie upgraded to the R200 with correct mustache bar and CV shafts)

I managed to find a stock Nissan CV shaft that is shorter than the 300zxt shaft - I will have to go out to the shed and find it and measure it again. This shaft has the same spline count/size as the 300zxt shaft just shorter, I think at the time I thought it was too short but I might have to revisit the maths again.

Again I will update shortly - later today my time.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for clarification, all of these issues are with Z31 Turbo axles, NOT 280zx axles correct? If so, is the issue with the billet or with the modified companion flanges? Or both?

That is my understanding. What I'm wondering about is the shaft diameter and spline count on the two types of shafts. If they are the same and the 280 shaft is shorter than the 300 shaft, it would be much cheaper to source OEM shafts than to have a set made.

I had to have a set made for my car even though I was using the 280zx set up. Wheel offset and tire width dictated that I run the arizona z rear control arms in the shortest possible setting which caused the stock shafts to bind. 335 tires on 17x12 wheels and I had a certain look in mind about how the tires and wheels set in the flairs.

What I also didn't understand is that someone mentioned that there were 300zxT shafts with two different lengths... I was under the impression they were the same length... the SS VLSD shafts are different lengths, but not the Z31T... right?

I don't know.

Here are some pics I just took...

These are from a R31 Skyline with a long nose R200 CLSD. They appear to be shorter than the 4 bolt Z31 CV's

dcp0797mb1.th.jpg

I believe these to be Maxima CV's

dcp0799kk9.th.jpg

Here are the Maxima CV's next to one single 280zx CV

dcp0800hm4.th.jpg

Here are the R31 CV's next to one single 88SS VLSD shaft

dcp0801jc8.th.jpg

The rest are the same shafts, just different pics of them

dcp0804bc6.th.jpg

dcp0802ju4.th.jpg

Here are some pics I just took...

These are from a R31 Skyline with a long nose R200 CLSD. They appear to be shorter than the 4 bolt Z31 CV's

dcp0797mb1.th.jpg

The R31 Skyline and Z31 shafts are the same part as they have the same partnumber in Nissan FAST so in the pic it is one is more compressed than the other.

The 280zxt shafts are different as they have the tri-pod which is the same spline count just on a smaller shaft diameter. I found some Nissan axles that are much shorter as stated there are two types that I found - in the weekend I will dig them out and take some pic and measurements.

As to the question about the 300zxt shafts yes they are different lengths - if you remove the ends the long side axles has a shaft that is 10mm longer than the short shaft. Hell I can't remember the exact difference is length best I get them out of the shed and take some pics/measurement again. Again I will do this but in the weekend.

As to the question about the 300zxt shafts yes they are different lengths - if you remove the ends the long side axles has a shaft that is 10mm longer than the short shaft. Hell I can't remember the exact difference is length best I get them out of the shed and take some pics/measurement again. Again I will do this but in the weekend.

This is big time news to me (not saying you are wrong at all) as I am about to reinstall my rear suspension. Would of been terrible to get the two mixed if there is a length difference!

Nissan FAST does appear to have two different P/N's for the different sides. I am assuming the short shaft goes on the passengers side (Right side while sitting in the car)?

Maybe the original poster has the axles reversed?

This is big time news to me (not saying you are wrong at all) as I am about to reinstall my rear suspension. Would of been terrible to get the two mixed if there is a length difference!

Nissan FAST does appear to have two different P/N's for the different sides. I am assuming the short shaft goes on the passengers side (Right side while sitting in the car)?

Maybe the original poster has the axles reversed?

Don't worry about mixing them up. The splined input shaft is a different length so the wrong one will not "click" into place. It takes a good firm shove and then the locking ring will hold it in place.

Don't worry about mixing them up. The splined input shaft is a different length so the wrong one will not "click" into place. It takes a good firm shove and then the locking ring will hold it in place.

Wow. I really need to look at my stuff more closely. It looked all the same to me in passing. Heh. Thanks!

guys lets see if I can explain this a bit better.

First I will not be talking about the VLSD 88 axles just yet so all this is just the normal 300ZXT axles. This is what I have found with the 3 sets of 300zxt axles I have collected over the last few years.

There are two axles, a LH and RH side. One has a longer input that goes into the diff. This axle with the longer input to the diff share the same 4 bolt CV thing on the other end of the shaft. The shaft is a different length to the other side.

The other side has a shorter diff input and also a shorter shaft in the between the two CV things (the 4 bolt bit and the diff input bit)

So the shafts are not the same length!

Now I think the confusion comes from some of the after-market CV/Axles out there and these might be using the same length shaft with the different diff inputs on the ends. And this might be causing really bad issues stated above. However I know for us here in NZ, and what we have found on my mates early 240z, that even the shorter 300ZXT shaft was not short enough. I think the same length shaft is not a issue on the 300ZXT but on the S30 range where it is tighter for space to begin with this only make the matter worse.

Now the VLSD 88ss shafts have a much much longer diff plug in for the VLSD engagement I cam only assume the shaft is the same length as the corresponding part on the 300ZXT with the different diff input CV the only difference.

Again most of this talk is about the 300ZXT and the VLSD 88ss shafts should be discussed as it will only add to the confusion.

Also please understand that when I am talking about the shaft I am just talking about the metal bit between the two CV joints (ie the diff input bit and the 4 bolt bit) when I talk about the axle I am talking about the complete unit with the CV on the end of the shaft.

Does anyone have the axle lengths for both side of the 300zxt shafts?

I am ready to put my modified VLSD r200 in my 240Z and I measured (about a year ago) only one shaft...I think it was 15" but I can't remember?...I did get a pair of 14" shafts...would an inch be to much on each side or should I swap the short one to the long side and only use one of the short shafts???

The problem for me was that the aftermarket CVs were made with the wrong sized shaft. This made one CV too long and looks to be what caused my diff to go bad.

Z-Ya can confirm that AutoZone refunded his money for these CVs and even told him that they are NLA because of this issue.

I sure hope it WAS the root cause of my diff problem as I plan on driving my 240 to the alignment shop today (40 degrees, sunny and with 2-days of rain maybe no salt on the roads).

I’ll be watching this thread with much interest; I won’t be to the point of installing

For awhile but hopefully this problem can be solved, I have 2 sets of 300zxt shafts

1 OEM and one rebuilt, and the rebuilt set are definitely reassembled incorrectly,

This info is all in the tread that getZ posted above.

again here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125503&highlight=300zxt+cv

One question I have is, is everyone that is having problems using an LSD?

Or is the stock open rearend also encountering this ?

Quick Question: Are these issues with the cv shafts happening with only the cars lowered more than 3inches (coil overs) or are the cars lowered only about an inch or 2 also having these issues?

I don't think anyone has an exact figure on this. Plus I suspect a lot of people wouldn't realize if the CV shaft was binding unless the CV exploded or some other damage was caused by it. So if you have a relatively low powered NA L6 or a very mild V8 or something this problem may go totally unnoticed. The way to check is pull the rear spring and MANUALLY push the suspension through it's travel, feeling for bind. I think using a floor jack to check might just as easily deflect bushings or flex suspension parts so that nothing gets noticed.

• 4 weeks later...