HybridZ

My racecar progress

zr240

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You had the same problem I encountered, front spoiler not wide enough to cover the front of the tyres. Started to make a mould for a wider spoiler but then sold the car.

Your solution works if it is a bit blunt and unaerodynamic looking. Provision for front brake ducts?

On the IC pipe routing, I assume it runs through holes cut in the inner guards.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, and I'm only bringing it up because we ran into this after Jim M. Brought his Zcar to us and we did the coil overs on it with larger tires... Did you confirm that you have enough suspension travel into the fender well without contacting the flare? Jim's flares show evidence of inner contact and spiderwebbing. Some of it could be from the stiff suspension being more than the glass can take. But I also see evidence of the tire touching the glass on full compression.

Just keep that in mind as you move forward.

Mike

Your solution works if it is a bit blunt and unaerodynamic looking.

There are good reasons to have a big lip in front of the tire instead of a smooth wider air dam without a lip in front of the tire. That lip will create a lot of low pressure in the wheel well. It will produce more drag, but potentially more downforce there as well.

There was an article in Racecar Engineering a couple years back where they were testing various different air dams on a BTCC Civic and they ended up with something that looked quite similar to what zr240 has made.

There are good reasons to have a big lip in front of the tire instead of a smooth wider air dam without a lip in front of the tire. That lip will create a lot of low pressure in the wheel well. It will produce more drag, but potentially more downforce there as well.

Thats what I was thinking, extending the airdam and lip right across the front.

There was an article in Racecar Engineering a couple years back where they were testing various different air dams on a BTCC Civic and they ended up with something that looked quite similar to what zr240 has made.

Alternatively the front could smoothly curve around to meet the wheel well openings, like a lot of modern cars are shaped there, as much as possible anyway. The resulting airflow would help extract air from inside the wheel wells which aids brake cooling too.

Alternatively the front could smoothly curve around to meet the wheel well openings, like a lot of modern cars are shaped there, as much as possible anyway. The resulting airflow would help extract air from inside the wheel wells which aids brake cooling too.

What you've described works better for reducing drag, less well for creating a low pressure area in the wheel well according to just about everything I've read. If you're talking about NASCAR where the fender ends several inches past the tire, then I'd agree, although even they say that a concave shape to the fender in front of the wheel well will generate more downforce than a convex shape.

The reason why is the lip in front of the wheel well does exactly the same thing as the lip in front of a vent. You can see these kinds of raised lips in front of vents on all kinds of race cars, either as a straight lip in front of a vent like this air dam, or a raised louver. It makes the air flow tumble, and that turbulence creates more low pressure than would otherwise be created by a smoother airflow.

Hi All

Been ofline for a few days and just noticed all the talk :)

On the wheel travel its the same setup I ran on m old car and never had the tyre make contact with the flair so it should be fine.

On the intercooler pipes they do run through holes in the wheel arch. The main issue I had is they reduce the turning circle because of the large tyre etc.

I was going to go back to the G-nose but always loved the look of the blunt front.

I am still thinking of adding some type of dive plates infront of the flairs to try to divert the air?

As far as brake ducts I will be using the narrow slits in the base of the front spoiler.

Ash

First off, let me make it clear to you that I am most assuredly NOT a fan (aesthetically speaking, anyhow) of the "wide-body" look on a Z.

Secondly, your wide-body kit looks DAAAMN good. :2thumbs: x a billion.

Thirdly, and I am no expert.. but my impression on the air dam aerodynamically speaking, is all fantastic.. I cannot recall right now if a similarly shaped airdam/flare combination was actually tested, but I would say that to start dickering around with the shape you have now, based on info learned from other shapes, MIGHT be fumbling around in the dark. In other words, I would say that what is already on the car is such a departure from what was tested, that to implement ideas that seemed to work well according to the aero tests on it, may be an exercise in a vacuum of knowledge.

More photos please! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...