HybridZ

Brown Widows are taking over my backyard

Z-TARD

If you don't look at but one picture, be sure you take a look at the last one so you will know what the spider looks like!

It's springtime & cleanup is going on. Be careful where you put your hands. They like dark spaces & woodpiles.

Also areas in the attic............................................This guy was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider. 1.jpg

Day 3

The following illustrates the progression of a brown recluse spider bite. The affected skin actually dies on his body!2.jpg

Day 5

Some of the pictures towards the end are pretty nasty, but take a look at the last one - it is a picture of the spider itself. 3.jpg

Day 6

The Brown Recluse Spider is the most dangerous spider that we have in the USA4.jpg

Day 9

A person can die from it's bite We all should know what the spider looks like 5.jpg

Day 10

Send this around to people you love, because it is almost summertime.

People will be digging around, doing yard work, spring cleaning, and sometimes in their attics.

6.jpg

The Dangerous Brown Recluse Spider

Please be careful. Spider bites are dangerous and can have permanent and highly negative consequences.

They like the darkness and tend to live in storage sheds or attics or other areas that might not be frequented by people or light.

If you have a need to be in your attic, go up there and turn on a light and leave it on for about 30 minutes before you go in to do your work!

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO YOUR RELATIVES AND FRIENDS!

Yea, I'm fearful of spiders, but after doing some real research on definitive cases of spider bites, how different venoms affect you, and the real world statistics, i'm not AS afraid anymore. But I still don't generally like them, and normally kill any decent sized spider I find... or feed it to my venus fly trap.

There's been some good suggestions on how to kill them, so I'll add a fun one.

Granted this might now work, but it sure would be fun if you like to experiment. Go to the local garden center and buy several cases of praying mantises (or is that mantie?) and see if that makes a dent. The praying mantis should definately go for the spiders, it's just a question of how well the spiders defent agains them. You can also get one of the matises once grown a bit and see how it does against the spider in captivity.

Otherwise I'd go with the previous suggestion of the Cyper WP, as it should do the job just fine. There's no reason to take chances with the well being of your kids. Black widows aren't normally very dangerous to adults, but kids... that's serious stuff to be dealing with.

I'd also suggest appliying any chemical around the base of your house first, in order to minimize their approach on the house.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.

widow2.jpg

My car has sat since March and I have found some new inhabitants. The floor boards are filled with webs and just about every bit of the engine bay and under the car. The spiders are more black than brown, but the local extension expert says it is definitely a brown widow infestation. The problem I am having is what to spray in the car. I got wonderful recommendations on the yard and exterior, but everytime, I get an 'i dont know or I wouldnt use it on the inside of the car'. I was just wondering if anyone had figured this out.

i normally use a deoderant can and a lighter.

flaming death!!!!

Clears out the webs, and roasts the bugs.

any flammable spray you use, test fire first on wall or something, you want something that doesnt leave burning residue.

Also, dont fire around the fuel tank hose connections, if there is any leakage, it'll be there.

as for keeping them away, a friend of mine drops a couple of those aerosol bug bombs in his garage every 6 months or so. he just keeps all the doors shut, and the cars all opened up in the garage.

he says it has almost completely gotten rid of his bug problem, but i dont know if the chemicals could have any effect on a nice paintjob over time?

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.

Many (most?) of the chemicals the pest companies are using are African flower based that kills insects, but are relatively benign to humans and most animals. Permethrin type of of pesticides are the ones I'm talking about. They are highly diluted so they are not toxic to humans. Used in higher concentrations, they also kill cats, so I guess they are not all that bad.

Anyway, you need to put a quick end to the spider infestation one way or another!

Davy

Frank 280ZX imported a whole containerload of Black Widows (along with six Z-Cars) from my back yard to Holland some years back. Took another container with a couple cases of smuggled bug bombs to kill off that which was exported.

This last shipment we fumigated the container heavily.

How Heavily? The shipper was all upset that we fumigated it (I guess he would have been better with Marble Sized Black Widows hungry after a month at sea crawling everywhere and working through webs like the Munster's house on Mokingbird Lane...)

So when they opened the doors on the 28th, the sniffed with some special atmosphere testing apparatus, and left the doors open, but backed against the building so nobody could get anything out...for two days!

Then, the guy said "How much did you put IN here anyway? There's still residue in there---it's not good, but we have to return the container!"

We packed that container the day after MSA and shipped it off.

Perhaps the 'Spyderkon Z' bubbly containers right at the back end of the container caused them concern. Frank said just like the last shipment, there were dead spiders all over inside the container.

That answer the question on 'how they got there from South Africa' as well? Blam Frank 280ZX and his transoceanic shipments.

They don't bug me much. Unless they are active I let them go about their business. They eat the little scorpions that hide in the grass...

As much as I like introducing critters to flaming deaths... I need different solution. I don't think my dash and carpet will enjoy heat or a chemically incompatible dousing. Tomorrow will be a special Sunday service with guest speakers: Pyrethrins, Piperonyl Butoxide, and Permethrin. Any stray cats are also invited.

I'll post up later to let everyone know if this combo works out.

The stuff we put in the container was a 'no residue' spider killer made for something like 3000 square foot house. It was a little cup you filled with water and then dropped the cannister into it. Got it at the local Ace Hardware Store. It was next to the Red and Yellow four-hour foggers (which we also used...)

Hence my relabeling it 'Spyderkon Z' (after the wonder Zyklon B, which was activated similarly...)

51large.jpg

A cople of those on a little cardboard boxtop in case the stuff boils over, left to simmer overnight with the windows rolled up should do the trick inside the car.

If you have a driveway, you can take the whole box of them (there are three or four in the box as I recalled) put one on the floorboard inside, two under the front, two under the back, then cover the whole car with a piece of plastic 4 mil dropcloth and put sand down around the edges to seal it (like tenting the house for termites). That should kill everything on the car.

If you only have dirt, I'd wet it all down, then cover it and drop the pellets to send the Spiders to their Valhalla.

My suggestion, when doing this: Play Wagner Operas during the gassing time.

I don't know, maybe it's my German Heritage, I have a knack for gassing animals.

You should see the tailpipe conversion for a garden hose to stuff down gopher holes!

Hell, I even use a Volkswagen to supply the gas! Just for historical accuracy and link to the past... LOL

I'm over the edge here, aren't I?

• Like 1

Maybe a little, but I also feel that gassing critters to death is the only proper way to dispose of them.

Reading this thread make me want to re-discover parts of my own german heritage, considering I've seen a couple of widows (of unknown black/browness) around in the yard, and god only knows what in the garage....

For spot killing the random black widow (that I can't reach to safely stomp flat) I use a spray can of chlorinated brake cleaner. With the extension tube it's fairly easy to earn a spider sniper rating. It drops them fast and croaks the egg sacks. I gave up on raid-type sprays long ago: even a heavy soaking seemed to only annoy them.

As a bonus, the brake cleaner doesn't leave a smelly oily residue.

The brown recluse has my total respect; one nearly killed my dog. She suffered for weeks but survived, although the bite area never completely healed.

I appreciate the brown widow info on this thread: it's a new one to me. Those are some weird-looking egg sacks. It's only a matter of time until they move East from

So-Cal and set up shop in AZ. I'd better stock up on brake cleaner....

I don't know, maybe it's my German Heritage, I have a knack for gassing animals.

You should see the tailpipe conversion for a garden hose to stuff down gopher holes!

Hell, I even use a Volkswagen to supply the gas! Just for historical accuracy and link to the past... LOL

I'm over the edge here, aren't I?

more fun to use LPG shove a wired up spark plug as deep down the burrow as you can reach, make a bunsen burner type gas mixer, say a piece of 1.5" alkathene pipe with a 1/2" gas hose from a 9Kg cylinder (don't bother with a regulator) down the middle, the gas jetting out the hose will pull air in and by the time it exits the end of the 1.5" pipe it's all mixed and explosive-ish. :D empty the cylinder into the burrow and go find a ditch to hide in. conect the spark plug to a battery and the gas will go boom :D not just killing any bunnies in the burrow that haven't been asaphixated, but collapsing the burrow :D

it's what the air force FAE bombs do :P