HybridZ

cost of pistons $902 !!!

I just got a quote from Summit Racing for a set of forged pistons with pins and rings $902.00!!! I was shocked. After searching the forums it looked like a little over a year ago they were around 600. I am going to call and ask for a quote on a set of stock 83 N/A pistons (no dish) and see what I get. If it is still near the one grand mark I am going to look at ITM cast pistons ($275).

This leads me to my question. I understand that forged will take some more detonation, but how much more? If the price of forged is prohibited how much of a cost benefit tradeoff will I have with cast.

I plan on in the future running a Holset, intercoller, and ~14psi.

Thanks

Mike

I can't answer your question for you but I can tell you that my Arias forged pistons with rings, full floating pins and wire locks cost $800+ and that was several years ago. Mine were also lightened and weight matched by Arias after being made to my specs, so you might want to give them a call prior to paying for just "forged" if you know what I mean.

I can also tell you that if you are concerned with balance and weight (which you should be about balance at least) the forged ones get another mark on the "pros" side of the list.

Dragonfly

You dont need forged pistions with a holset and 14psi. Im runing it right now Im saving up for a set right now but im looking for way more than 14psi. Im just running this engine till i can build a nice one. Bigphil is running like 26psi on a stock motor and head with meth injection. So if thats as high of boost as you plan on running. i personally would save the money..

I just got a quote from Summit Racing for a set of forged pistons with pins and rings $902.00!!! I was shocked. After searching the forums it looked like a little over a year ago they were around 600. I am going to call and ask for a quote on a set of stock 83 N/A pistons (no dish) and see what I get. If it is still near the one grand mark I am going to look at ITM cast pistons ($275).

Did you ask for a set of forged pistons for an L28 or did you ask for a custom set of pistons with all the specs you want. Not too long ago you could get "custom" pistons from Summit with retainers and wrist pins for under $500. I'd be pretty shocked if the price had doubled. I'm guessing you said "Nissan" instead of "custom".

when I ordered the set I filled out a Ross spec sheet with all of the measurements and asked for a custom set of 6. I told the guy at Summit that 902 was quite a lot and I had recalled a price more in the 600 range. He told me that was the price for a custom set. Thats why I thought if I asked for a stock +1 mm 83 N/A flattop it would be cheaper. I'm still unsure on the forged vs cast issue but the savings would afford me MSnS and some other goodies.

Yeah, I got the Ross pistons through Summit back in 2003/2004 for $463.00 with rings and pins. They do have Datsun specs on file for flat top and dished. I would go with some of they're spec files instead of full custom as it will lower the price. I'm sure the price has gone up some in four years, though.

And..let Me tell You something else!! I ran My 76 for over 200 miles at 280f. I had to refill the radiator. Took My radiator in to the shop..The guy(he`s been around for a while) said this thing should have blown!! The bottom part was totally blocked. The compression readings at 306k were 150,150,150,150,150, 140.