HybridZ

Don't know what car to get...

gsr355

For the first time in my life, I don't know what car I want or should buy. Here's some background information... Cars I've owned in the past are 85 Corolla sr5, 96 Integra GS-R, 1995 M3, 1993 Honda Civic, of course a 1973 240z, and my recently sold 2000 ML320. So now I don't have a car, and I would like to buy something that I can keep for a while. I'm 28 yrs old, and will use this car to commute about 50 miles a day and go up to the snow a few times a year. I'm really at a lost as to what car might fit my criteria and lifestyle. I can just go get myself a civic and call it a day, but being single, I would like to be able to drive a nicer car on dates. I will only buy a used car and don't mind spending up to 30 grand for it. Any suggestions on what i should buy? Some of the cars I thought about getting are e46 m3s, Audi S4, Porsche 911, CLK 500, etc... As you can see, I'm leaning towards European cars, but will consider Japanese cars also. The ability to go up to the snow is not so crucial, because it's really only a few weekends out of the year. I know it's hard to make suggestions based on this information, but anything would help. I'm really at a lost... thanks

• Administrators
If i was in that price range, id buy a lotus elise or if you can afford, exige.

Cool cars, but I'm convinced they are the worst 'date car' ever built. I bet even Lotus would agree to that :mrgreen:

Not sure what they cost currently, but how about a 2004 Acura TL? My friends dad has one. From my limited experience with it, it's a nice car. Nice inside, and has pretty decent power. The reason I suggest a 2004 model, is IIRC the 2004 model has a bit more power than the 2005 model.

I'm a Mercedes mechanic, so seeing and driving them all day long makes it difficult to get any Mercedes, although the C32 is a fun car. I seriously considered getting an subaru sti, but I have a feeling I will grow out of the look really fast. Great suggestions though, keep them coming. Anyone have a E46 m3 here? How do you like the car? Since gas is getting so expensive in the bay area, I should really consider the mileage my future car will get also. I remember I use to really enjoy shopping for cars, but it's now becoming more annoying than enjoyable... something is really wrong with me... hahah

do you get rover MGF convertibles over there? mid engine rear drive like the toyota MR2.

either a MGF or a MR2 would be my choice. I've driven both early and modern MR2 & MRS cars, and owned a MGF. The MGF handled much better, but not as fast taking off. Mind you the supercharged MGF is better than my N/A version was.

G37, G35, E46 M3, and I still like the idea of a Turbo 1JZ or 2JZ in a 1st gen. IS300 or an SC300... if you like to build things.

If you want to try something different, Caddy CTS-V. My neighbor has one, It's a beast.

I'd stay away from the euro four wheel drives.

By the way every kid today has an Evo or STI.

By the way every kid today has an Evo or STI.

And it looks like the fast and the furious crowd is growing up a bit. I'd much rather see Evos and STIs everwhere than honda hatchbacks.

Does the popularity or owner group dictate your purchase? If so then maybe a STI isn't for you.

I've driven the newer Acuras (RL and TL) and didn't like them. Overpriced hondas is what they are. They're nice and all, but they just don't have enough power, class, and overall finish quality that makes it feel like it's not a honda still, and there's no way I'd pay that kind of money for pretty looking accord... They'll be nice cars when you can buy them used under 10k.

I really like most euro cars. On average I'd say I like more euro cars on average than any other area of cars. Japanese cars are great, but many times lack the "whole package" experience. American cars tend to feel cheap most of the time.

I really like VW and Audi cars. They just drive so nice and feel well made. Jaguar makes some great cars too. Even old falling apart, slow as dog jags are still great cars to me. Sure they weigh as much as a tank and will break down as soon as you're not looking at it, but they just drive so nice you could just fall asleep while driving thinking it's going to drive itself.

But personally, if I was going to spend that kind of money it might be a STI. I just have nothing to compare it to. The EVO's interior is too cramped and overall doesn't feel as well made as the STI. The STI will go 100mph feeling like 50mph does in most cars. It'll tackle the snow and dirt like it was born for it all the while getting decent turbo 4 banger gas milage.

The STI also has a pretty amazing resale value. Even the 2001 wrx is still retaining value extremely well here in california.

I'd go with something like a CRX. It's sporty-ish, fun to drive, and gets great mileage. Also, if you keep it clean, it's a good date car. Of course, you only have two seats so don't go trying to take out multiple ladies to the same date.

Just my .02, it's not as flashy or snazzy as the cars you mentioned, but it'll get the job done and even does fairly well in the snow (provided that it has decent tires).

Well, if you get a BMW or a Porche, you'll scream "small package" to all the ladies. Probably ought to eliminate those two from your "options". :wink:

Depending on the lady almost all cars we here love could fall under that catagory. :lol:

It's hit or miss with most women though. Either they're going to like flashy cars, or not. Sometimes they know something about cars, other times not.

I personally must say I feel sorry for you if your love life revolves around a car. What's next, gonna show her your baseball card collection? Long lasting relationships aren't based around posessions, and hopefully a car doesn't make to big of an impression either way for YOUR sake.

But that being said I can understand wanting something nice for dates. A pile of junk like mine isn't something most women would love to ride in (though the car does have it's list of fans), so having something presentable is nice.

+1 on the 350Z vote. Only problem I forsee there is that there shuold be a new one before 2010 and prices will drop just like the Z32. Z cars don't seem to hold value all that well. Still great buys though.