HybridZ

choice of engine swap?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I'm some what in the same boat as you. I would stick to l28et, you can drive 300whp all day long. Well, I'm trying to get there. But if I have 10k to waste, I'll go with rb (I want to stay within the family) but LSx is right behind.

I haven't bought my 1jz yet...if something goes wrong and i don't by a 1jz...then I'm looking at doing a RE13bT (from a third gen rx7..255hp) or just begging my brother for his spare turbo II 13b parts, adding to it and use that....well see. If you are building this car to be reliable and fast, i suggest staring out with a engine that is already quick in stock trim.... LS1,2jz,1jz,rb25,rb26..etc All these motor make or can make 300hp+ with little modds...my 2 cent...

If you are building this car to be reliable and fast, i suggest staring out with a engine that is already quick in stock trim.... LS1,2jz,1jz,rb25,rb26..etc All these motor make or can make 300hp+ with little modds...my 2 cent...

Reliability isn't that hard but only one of those motors will make 600 rwhp all day long on pump gas and have a broad power band :wink:. 300hp isn't worth a swap, IMO.

A long time ago I when I was reading about picking up a car for an engine swap, it specifically said don't pick a car that has been rolled. If/when it was rolled, it may have been left running upside down (oiling system I imagine). Seemed logical enough, so I picked a car that had been toasted in a rear end accident. Sorry to thread-jack a bit... It's just food for thought.

Boosted VG30/33E.

Find a low mile 2wd V6 Frontier that has been rolled and pull the drivetrain out. A VG33ER would be a wicked swap IMO. Never been done to an S30 AFAIK.

A good friend of mine has a supercharged Xterra, and I've had him pop the hood several times so I could stare at his engine bay for a while and take measurements.

They're just such light iron block motors to ignore.

There is a current issue Assuie turner magazine out focusing on Skylines and showing a "money no object" RB26 package with best of the best accessories. For $82k you get about 900 RWkW's.

While I save my lunch money for that package (+ S30 body strength upgrades) I like the L28ET route. It lets you put down ~300 RWHP, and you can dial in your suspension and brake adjustments as you grow comfortable driving the power to weight ratio.

After that you can always upgrade to another engine package, and sell off the L28ET + accessories.

Reliability isn't that hard but only one of those motors will make 600 rwhp all day long on pump gas and have a broad power band :wink:. 300hp isn't worth a swap, IMO.

Not worth it to you...but i build the engine that i like.... i choose on sound, power band, reliability, tech, money....etc Ive seen all these motors make 600hp on pump but two... the rb25 and r26...the rb25 won't hold 600 on stock internals for long...so Ive heard.....I was suggesting to the OP that it'd be cost effective to build upon a engine thats already fast...don't know about you but swapping in a stock engine and running high 11's low 12's sounds cost effective to me...just a suggesting though....you can make any engine run hard, so it's really up to what you look for in a engine!!! best of luck...

You've seen a 2J make 600 rwhp on pump? Maybe with a GT42 and 93 octane with boost coming on at 6k, great driveablity. No way a 1J or L28 can run that boost on pump and not with a turbo I would even call close to streetable (enjoyable).

Having a high power small discplacment engine (3l), I wouldn't do it again. If someone wants big power on pump and they were given a blind fold test (not literaly) of a 2l, 3l and 6l turbo Z making the same power, they would pick the 6l enigne. Torque is fun and having it with out having to go to 4500rpm and 25 psi is even better.

low on money.

stock 81 to 83 L28et with megasquirt efi, 14 psi, and IC.

Makes a fun street 240 that will run 12's in the 1/4 mile with fresh tires on the rear. And will work with your current drive train, cooling system, alternator, and engine mounts.

You've seen a 2J make 600 rwhp on pump? Maybe with a GT42 and 93 octane with boost coming on at 6k, great driveablity. No way a 1J or L28 can run that boost on pump and not with a turbo I would even call close to streetable (enjoyable).

Having a high power small discplacment engine (3l), I wouldn't do it again. If someone wants big power on pump and they were given a blind fold test (not literaly) of a 2l, 3l and 6l turbo Z making the same power, they would pick the 6l enigne. Torque is fun and having it with out having to go to 4500rpm and 25 psi is even better.

Thats the reason I decided I wanted a second Z when I do a RB26 swap into my current one: put an LSx into the other for DDing.

well, perhaps i should stick with an l28. its what i know, its easy, and reasonably cheap. and as far as what is out there, i don't know much (partly to the fact that i've only had the car 2 years, and it's my 1st car). i went to the local junkyard and walked through the toyota section. i was looking at the 6cyl engines and saw a 7m from a supra. looked very similar to the jz's, so i was curious about it. from what i hear; it's cheap ($250 for complete from junkyard) but also parts are cheap cause it was an import older and came in cressida sedans so it's more of a common motor, its a reliable engine stock (aside from the headgasket thing), and made 230hp stock with the single turbo... roughly same power as 1jz.

Clifton, what's your take on it? i see u have one.

anyone else have some input?

only problem i can see is that there isnt much info about it on the net.

1JZ was rated a 280HP, 200hp in NA form, quite a bit more than the 7MGTE.

I'll let clifton correct me on anything he wants, and add in his own opinion, but I know a small bit about the motor so I'll share what I know.

#1 Reason NOT to get one would be the head gasket issue. With the stock deck surface and bolts they just don't hold. Most guys running these motors consider a headgasket change every 70k or so as common maintainence. If you have the deck resurfaced and use a quality gasket with ARP studs then the issue is normally resolved.

Realistically they don't take a ton of power on the stock bottom end. Most guys consider around 500hp the limit until you want to start looking at rebuilding the bottom end, though maybe that number was more like 550, but you get the idea.

The can easily make 300-400hp with lots of stock parts, and as far as I know the stock long block is good for those numbers.

But at the same time the L28ET can make those numbers on a stock longblock too.

The main reason I could see getting one over the L28ET is that I bet it has a larger power band thanks to a better flowing head from factory, and there's a whole heck of a lot more fuel/turbo/EMS stuff for it that's made for them. Thanks to it's 3.0l displacement it should have a little more torque and power off boost which is ALWAYS NICE, dispite what some turbo lag addicts say. Turbo cars will never be unmanagable on the lower RPM, so having a few more cubes to play with is good.

That's my basic run down of the engine. I was once thinking about swapping one into a S130 because it could be done legally, and still be tons of fun. But I've grown to not be such a fan of inline 6 motors as I used to be. They're good of course, but I'd rather have more liters in a V8 that's the same weight and sits farther back and I can find parts for at any corner store. But that's just me.

the reason i was interested about the 7m over the 1j was, while the 1j makes more power, the 7m seems to be a much more common engine than the 1j. i know the 2j was imported by toyota, but other than the supra mk3, i've never heard of any of the cars it was put into. and the mk3 supras imported into the US had the 7M through 92. so only the jdm supras had that engine. so to me, it seems like an engine, and or replacement parts would be much more expensive and harder to come by for the 1jz.

and ya, having a LS swap does have that appeal to it.