HybridZ

surge tank

Even tho I sumped the fuel cell, we're still getting some starvation on long sweepers.So next we ( ZYA,Gnosez and I ) are trying a surge tank mounted on the firewall over the battery tray with a second fuel pump. I just fabbed this up and Pete will install it this weekend and test it next week at NHIS. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

surgetank001.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotchbrite or stainless brush marks over the welds is amateur... I noticed the link at the bottom (allmetalfab.net)

and saw that you guys do a bunch of commercial misc fab....

wouldnt you guys have one of these to use???

http://www.secoeng.co.uk/wd-electro-wand-20.php

also, not to nitpick, but is the bottom weld seam ground down? maybe its the pic but it looks like there is a pinhole at the bottom of the tank.

also, chamfering the mounting holes would prolly be a nice idea.

overall, not bad.

Winter Park, where? FL?

Scotchbrite or stainless brush marks over the welds is amateur... I noticed the link at the bottom (allmetalfab.net)

and saw that you guys do a bunch of commercial misc fab....

wouldnt you guys have one of these to use???

http://www.secoeng.co.uk/wd-electro-wand-20.php

also, not to nitpick, but is the bottom weld seam ground down? maybe its the pic but it looks like there is a pinhole at the bottom of the tank.

also, chamfering the mounting holes would prolly be a nice idea.

overall, not bad.

Nostalgic...I could have gold plated it too for that real "professional look". This was made to go on a race car not a customers million dollar mantle.And if you knew about or had used the tool that you linked, you'd know that they leave a fogged area and require some hand brushing to match the surrounding surfaces. I did use a Walter Surfox machine, same tool , different brand. I use it more to passivate the weld than to remove color although thats a nice bonus. Pinholes?? Thats a good one.

Mayo, its around 1 liter

Quote:

---------------------------

"Pinholes?? Thats a good one"

- Sigh.. At the bottom of the tank there appears to be a divot in the shape of a small hole, look at the picture. Of course you pressure tested it to 120psi or whatever shop pressure you have, but the image still looks like there is a divot.

Quote:

---------------------------

"I could have gold plated it too for that real "professional look""

- you mean like the Gold Zinc finish coating for the products done by Robert Linton's tiny company (Cartridge)?:icon12: Why not go the full distance and add Ti hardware like Robert did with these lowly droplinks..

attachment.php?attachmentid=1302&stc=1&d=1176509711

Or how about the lowliest of machined brackets.. the brake caliper bracket... yet... wow, gold zinc again? I guess its not that hard after all...

attachment.php?attachmentid=1526&stc=1&d=1187221557

You should wholly be aware that whatever gets posted online is fair game for any and all criticism...

Now, with that said...

Please PLEASE PLEASE dont take my criticism as cheap shots, I love seeing hand made work displayed, (as it seems to be a dying art on these forums). I especially love seeing hand made work that is optimized for weight and dimensions... and i ESPECIALLY LOVE seeing it look badass while doing it:-D

speaking of weight, are those tabs .100 or .128 thk?

Whats the thread dimensions on the bungs? Im wondering if there are adapter fittings going on. Maybe some radiused AN pieces would have slimmed things down (Weightwise and dimensionally) in this situation???

Post some more pics of this tank!! where is the return to the main tank.. Is there a 5-8psi checkvalve going back to the main tank??? ??????

edit : JSM, yes Winter Park, Fl... but i've since moved to Ft Lauderdale... Doing crestron programming and installation in the bahamas and south florida

• Administrators

You should wholly be aware that whatever gets posted online is fair game for any and all criticism...

Yes Sir, you would be correct. And you should be wholly aware that that doesn't give you right to be an arrogant prig.

Let me make something clear. I value the members of this forum. I will not allow you to treat them like dirt, regardless of who's right or wrong, who does 'better' work, has the larger penis, etc, etc. In your 6 month stay with us, you've contributing absolutely nothing of value to our forum. I have no reason to believe you ever will, so why should I allow you to continue your membership with us? So you can pop in now and again and tell people everything YOU think they're doing wrong? Sorry, but you haven't earned that position.

You are welcome to share your work, your ideas, teach and learn, as long as you extend some reasonable courtesy.

This is your first and only warning. Treat these members with some respect or your membership will be terminated.

I want to echo what RonTyler posted here...

Nostalgic-Hero, You need to knock it down about 20 notches... You're close to a little long term time out... Park your attitude on THAT side of the keyboard.

Not sure I'd want to post anything on this site if I thought someone like you was going to rip it appart... But hey, we don't allow that kinda crap here. If you want to provide constructive critiques then that's one thing... However, the tone and spirit of your post clearly doesn't suggest you intend anything positive in your comments... So, take it else where.

Mike

Yes Sir, you would be correct. And you should be wholly aware that that doesn't give you right to be an arrogant prig.

Let me make something clear. I value the members of this forum. I will not allow you to treat them like dirt, regardless of who's right or wrong, who does 'better' work, has the larger penis, etc, etc. In your 6 month stay with us, you've contributing absolutely nothing of value to our forum. I have no reason to believe you ever will, so why should I allow you to continue your membership with us? So you can pop in now and again and tell people everything YOU think they're doing wrong? Sorry, but you haven't earned that position.

You are welcome to share your work, your ideas, teach and learn, as long as you extend some reasonable courtesy.

This is your first and only warning. Treat these members with some respect or your membership will be terminated.

nostalgiac_hero, i'd like to point out that what you've posted as reference to coatings and whatnot are taken from a BMW Z8 forum.

sure, anyone with a BMW Z8 may have the money to spend on a surge tank with coatings from a lunar lander... Nowhere did roostmonkey say it was a final, and that it was complete in its entirety.

I'm sure it would be a waste of money to coat something you're going to use for one season to test if you're only gonna bring it out for about 20 or so events, and not know if it will be the final anyways. not to mention that any he sells will most likely get even better treatment. I bet Pete is more than happy to run that on his car, as I would be.

modifications = re-coat... start over = ridiculous.

Just to add some useful information for anyone.

If you want a nice durable gold finish on a part, I'd recommend Titanium Nitride (TiN coating). It's usually used on machine tools to add life between sharpening.

It can be used on parts with tight tolerances also, because it is only a few microns thick.