HybridZ

Blocked off the lower half of my grill

jbc3

I have been thinking about closing up the front of the huge grill opening, so this weekend I starter playing with a couple of designs and I ended up with this design. I am not 100% with what I ended up with, but it is starting to grow on me. I am thinking of maybe getting some kydex and redoing the bumper indent covers and lower grill cover as one continuous piece. Plus I think the shape can be easily curved a little and better blended into the air dam. My bumper indent covers are already made with kydex. I should be at the Mid Atlantic Shindig this weekend, so I'll get a few first hand opinions.

(A few small rivet holes and some 3M double sided adhesive and it is off if I need to dump the whole idea)

Thoughts?

grill1.JPG

grill2.JPG

grill3.JPG

grill4.JPG

grill5.JPG

Looks good. I think one thing you could do is find a way to set the block-off back just a half inch or so rather than fully flush. This will give you the visual line of the original "mouth" of the opening but still get 95% of the aerodynamic improvement.

I drove the car to work today... AC on full, 90's and humid. The engine temps seemed the same as usual, so I don't believe that the air flow to the radiator was excessive.

Also, I didn't really mention this before, but one of the main reasons I looked at a lower half mod is the fact that my air intake/filter are right behind the grill near the top of the grill on the drivers side (can be seen in a couple of the pictures) and I did not want to interfere with any direct flow into the intake.

Jody

I like the idea. I'll check it out Saturday. It won't be easy to do but I think it needs some contouring to break up the flatness and make it look a bit more professional. I've been thinking about doing something like that too. I was leaning more on keeping the block off as an extension of the lower fender valance and only covering to about an inch or so below my bumper.

The top edge has a 90 degree aluminum angle piece and then to add strength to it, I riveted sheet metal section (about 2 1/2" wide) horizontal back toward the radiator and rolled it over. It is surprisingly stout.

As a matter of fact, I have some 3/4" tubular steel around the lip of the lower air dam to prevent it from flexing at speed also.

If I were to do this whole thing over in kydex, I would back support it with the same set-up I have now.

That is a great look. I have been debating buying the fiberglass 240 bumpers just to break up the grill opening.

I think Glenn nailed it: the look is great and "works" without using a bumper. The huge grill opening, sans bumper, looks a bit odd unless there is a FMIC there because the field is just too big for the looks of the car. A bumper breaks up that opening, but this little mod looks good without the bumper too---nice!

Davy

I really like the look of that setup! Niiiice.

Couple of recessed 5 3/4" Cessna Landing Lights in there, with a flush plexiglass covering would add 'flash to pass intimidation' to the list of additional advantages with your mod!

LOL