HybridZ

Custom Aluminum 2000GT

rturbo 930

WOW. Hrmm who wants to fund a full aluminum S30??

No one. It's the difference between a $250,000 car (2000 GT) and a $2,500 car (240Z). Although, now that I think about it, making an aluminum 1 off is merely fabricating a car, which is constructing an impostor basically. I have no idea what something like that would sell for since it isn't genuine. Only Barrett-Jackson knows for sure :mrgreen:

Davy

Well, if a S30 were to be fabricated in aluminum, or custom built up from scratch, it could be 'upgraded'. Stiffer chassis, longer rails, perhaps a Gnose like front end, wide body as well, and just overall better aero. That would be interesting to see.

If the S30 interior bits would be used - or even 240SX / Z32, which seem to fit with some work - dash etc, I wonder how far down the price could be kept. They do make tube frames for replicars like the Cobra for decently low prices, but I think that a quality package might edge closer to that of the Noble M400 price. The Noble rolling chassis is around $75K, and the Factory Five kits look to be starting at $20k. Wonder where a good S30 [re]design would fall. Just need a market with enough demand and money to back it up with.

XD I love this line

My idea was make just out side panels by aluminum but original steel body was very poor and I decided make full body!(I'm stupid)
so it went from making a few panels out of aluminum, to recreating the entire body in aluminum!

and from the looks of it, it's an aluminum reconstruction of the original body, mounted to the original frame, and a damn good job at all that hand shaped metal

i had the opportunity to meet shin a few years ago while in calif. very nice, interesting AND talented man. i purchased a 'see through' or cutaway [don't know what else to call it] pen & ink drawing he had done of the s30. funny, i had it stored in my basement awaiting some time to get it matted/mounted/framed and it got...wet. i contacted shin and asked to purchase another-he asked me what happened to the first one he sold me, i sheepishly replied and he told me, "no worry, i'll send you another".

we also discussed a toy 2000gt he was restoring for the toy museum and a coffee table book he was working on as well. artist, mechanic, designer and a gentleman!

i absolutely am enamored with his alum 2000gt work. true craftsmanship.

ESPECIALLY that rear panel that he made with nothing more than a wooden hammer

whoa, mj that link you posted, that body shop did a HORRIBLE job trying to repair it before he got it. I would HATE to see someone do that shoddy body work on such a rare car

P1010012.11565314_std.JPG

but man that's some nice body work. Slap on some clear coat and it's good to go

Does this guy even use bondo?! from the looks of it you could spray on paint without any at all! (that car pictured is all steel I should mention XD)

• 4 months later...
This is the link for pictures from my aluminum panels. I am just started and i have to do all the trimming and welding

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=911

zagato_style_29_.JPG

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=909&ppuser=

Hoy Jack-

Looks great, you are doing some really good work there. Is your goal to make all of the body panels ?