HybridZ

Made 388 rwhp on the Dyno!

So after my little meeting with the wall @ the track, I had some work done on the Z.

-Double Row Timing Chain

-Port N polished Oil Pump

-Mild Cam

-PushRods/Springs/Retainers

-Connect Cylinder Heads (better cooling)

-New SS 3 inch Exhaust

-Redid the Intake

-New DS

Here is the Dyno Sheet: 388 rwhp 372 rwtq

Dyno_Sheet.jpg

I had the tuner give a conservative tune so that the motor will last me some time. Mike at NewEra is a great guy and his guys do great work and take the time to answer any question. They even met me at the shop on their day off so I can pick the car up. The car drove back from Rochester to NYC area 6+ hours with no problems. It feels like I just got the car on the road again!!! This winter I will do the UD pulley and I am done with modding the motor. I will add the specs of the cam later today when I get home.

Clive

I went with the Texas Speed 228R for everyday driveability and a nice smooth lope. You can definitely tell its cammed though. Made quite the bit of difference in power.

I set my rev limiter to 6500 on the LQ4 6.0 with ARP rod bolts and the new 918 "bee-hive" springs. These engines definitely keep on pulling all the way to 7K.

th_DSCN1048.jpg

th_DSCN1049.jpg

So why do people port and polish the oil pump on these things. Seems to be popular but I cant figure out why?

Cameron

My guess is: :D

Mechanical pump that uses engine power to push the oil around, a nice smooth polished surface has less friction and lets the oil flow better and the porting does the same thing as with head porting for the air/fuel mix. This means less power needed to push more oil around, plus more oil pushed around means less chances of having something sieze from under-lubrication. You're home free two ways :D

My guess is: :D

Mechanical pump that uses engine power to push the oil around, a nice smooth polished surface has less friction and lets the oil flow better and the porting does the same thing as with head porting for the air/fuel mix. This means less power needed to push more oil around, plus more oil pushed around means less chances of having something sieze from under-lubrication. You're home free two ways :D

I'm not buying it. If that is the theory then it's a waste of money IMHO. Anyone know the flowrate of an LS oil pump?

Thanks

Cameron

I think the ported oil pumps started because of oiling issues and pump failures the LS motors suffered from in 98-99. The oiling issue was said to be fixed by most 2000 motors and not a problem in the 01-02 motors. I have a couple 2000 motors and replaced the pumps with the Z06 pumps just in case and upgraded to LS2 timing chains.

• 3 weeks later...

That is a decent sized cam for sure. I think the 22X cam durations to be 'mild' on these motors and sub .600" lift... .630" lift is a boat load. I'd love a larger image of that graph to look at. To me it looks like torque peaks very quick and dies off just as quick. I'll have to take a look at mine at home (not making quite as much power) and see if my graph looks like that also.

• 2 weeks later...

The cam in the stock ls3/480hp is

Camshaft: (88958733 -LS "Hot Cam") Hydraulic roller .525" Intake lift, .525" Exhaust lift, 219° Intake duration, 228° Exhaust duration, 112° Lobe seperation

Which seams kinda mild to me with only .525 lift. yet gm calls it their "hotcam".

Yet the thing has great power curves. heres dyno page link http://paceperformance.com/ProductImages/manufacturer/gm/images/19171224Dyno.jpg

Should i stick with this stock cam or upgrade and make more power? I hate to install the motor if i'm gonna want to change the cam but I also hate to install a cam and kill the 2 year warranty.

Thanks,

Stewart