HybridZ

Motodelta Lexan windshield

ruggedbert

Although I've not used Motodelta's product I have raced cars with Polycarbonate windshields and windows. Scratch resistant really isn't. Clean the window with paper towels and Windex and you've got very fine scratches. Over time these build up and create a haze that can be polished out. Once you polish, the anti-fog coating is gone.

For a street car I would never run Polycarbonate windows. For a race car, where I expect to have to replace the windows every couple years, the added hassle is worth the weight reduction.

420 for a lexan front windshield is not a bad price. I recently made a windshield from 316 lexan and it took about 10 or 12 hours to cut it, fit it and install it.

This is on a track only car. I would follow John's advice on the use of lexan.

420 for a lexan front windshield is not a bad price. I recently made a windshield from 316 lexan and it took about 10 or 12 hours to cut it, fit it and install it.

This is on a track only car. I would follow John's advice on the use of lexan.

Did you mold it to fit the curve of the window or just cut to fit and fasten it down?

Great find, Bert! I think I'll buy one of those in a few months. It should be a great help in my big plan to lower my car's center of gravity. Reduce weight up high on the car first (hatch, windshield, hood, battery, etc.).

Carbon fiber doors and front fenders would be great, too!

Anyone heard from those two guys in Prescott who were asking for ideas/suggestions concerning carbon fiber parts?

Jeff

If your cleaning lexan you should use a product called Plexus. You can get it at any motorcycle shop for the most part. Its made for Cleaning helmet shields and windscreens. It actually fills in little scratches that are on the lexan. Using Windex on lexan is a BIG NO NO. Over time it will yellow the lexan and make it brittle. Its the ammona in it that does this. Also I would suggest not using paper towels as they will scratch it also. Try to get a microfiber cloth or lint free terry cloth.

Did you mold it to fit the curve of the window or just cut to fit and fasten it down?

I cut it oversize to fill the space the gasket normally takes up. Then used a bunch of these 94639A554 and these 92949A272 (part numbers from mcmaster carr) The curve was formed as the lexan was installed from the center to the outer edges. The lexan sits flush with the a pillars and roof.

I cut it oversize to fill the space the gasket normally takes up. Then used a bunch of these 94639A554 and these 92949A272 (part numbers from mcmaster carr) The curve was formed as the lexan was installed from the center to the outer edges. The lexan sits flush with the a pillars and roof.

Thanks for that! I've been trying to figure out how to do this. The best I had come up with was to use butyl tape but I knew it would smush the butyl tape out of the center. Using the 1/2" spacer is a MUCH better idea.

:cheers:

Thanks for that! I've been trying to figure out how to do this. The best I had come up with was to use butyl tape but I knew it would smush the butyl tape out of the center. Using the 1/2" spacer is a MUCH better idea.

:cheers:

I have to give John C the credit. I just copied how the lexan was installed in the rear hatch I bought from Beta Motorsports.

I cut it oversize to fill the space the gasket normally takes up. Then used a bunch of these 94639A554

I used similar hardware. I also installed vertical bracing in the center that touched the windshield and helped it keep its shape. I the painted black around the edge and a big strip at the top. If I recall correctly this saved abut 15 pounds over the windshield and rubber gasket that were replaced. If you need a water tight seal you can use silicone to build it up but you'll probably need to use a different spacer arrangement.

You need to use special cleaners and be very careful with this stuff or it will scratch as everyone as said. I bought a kit of cleaner scratch remover from aircraft spruce that worked very well. I've also found that you can use wax to help shed water and protect the surface. And what ever you do make sure you don't use an ammonia based cleaner or it will cause the lexan to whiten.

Cary

How did you do the bracing? I've seen it in pictures but never up close, and I really don't have any idea how it attaches to the car, or if you only need it at 1xx mph and above.

I used 3/16 x 1 aluminum ( Just like John C.) and ran it inside the car from top to bottom in 2 places dividing the windshield into approximate 3rds.

I ran the car with out the bracing and the lexan would buffet at much over 85 or 90 .