HybridZ

Where did you put your BOV??

jc052685

Wow...that is odd! Not sure I would recommend that as an optimal location for the BOV. Two concerns:

1) You had to signicantly cut the rad support to install the BOV on the IC, so you have lost some integrity on the rad support

2) I would not be in favor of welding a flange on my IC for the BOV

One question, why mount the BOV there?

I have had two BOVs on my L28, first one here:

65065845.jpg

65065839.jpg

and this now how my new TiAL BOV is set-up, in similar location as the top HKS SSQ:

335464017.jpg

Regards - Yasin

There's nothing wrong with mounting the BOV on the IC tank. Subaru WRXs come this way, along with a few other vehicles that I can't think of right now, and many fabricators do this as well with ICs that are not mounted in the interior.

The pressure in the IC tank will be equal to what is in the tubing.

I mounted mine about 3 inches from the throttle body. This is so all the air that thats rushing from the turbo to the TB will continue that direction when the BOV opens up.The reason Subaru's have there BOV on the intercooler is because there is no IC piping at all with the Top mount. Here is a pic of my setup.

DSC00005.JPG

DSC01075.jpg

Here is a picture of my set-up. The "ideal" place is as close to the TB as possible as you want to keep as little air as possible moving the wrong way. The air bounces off the TB plate when you close it. You want to give it a place to go out as soon as possible so you dont put any back pressure on your system. That being said there are some circumstances where you do need to put it farther away. For instance turboing late model mustangs requires you to mount BOV before the MAF but you cant have it right next to the MAF as it will cause alot of turbulance and cause the wrong readings. Most set ups I've seen for those cars have the bov on the endtank of the intercooler. Then there is just the reason of space. Sometimes you just cant fit it where it should go.

one advantage I see to mounting before the air goes through the IC is core temp reduction. When it blows off the HOT air from the turbo will be expelled before it gets a chance to soak the IC with its heat. Probably minimal differance but a differance none the less. I will poast up some pics once the whole thing is finished.

one advantage I see to mounting before the air goes through the IC is core temp reduction. When it blows off the HOT air from the turbo will be expelled before it gets a chance to soak the IC with its heat. Probably minimal differance but a differance none the less. I will poast up some pics once the whole thing is finished.

At the point the BOV is "used", the IC has already had the warmest air ran through it.

Just as an example, I was looking at a datalog from a run at the track the other night and was interested in the intake air temp. The temp rose quickly from 118*F to 142*F over the time of the run, and started to fall when I closed the throttle. Now I can't say how quickly the air temp dropped where the IC will be (currently not installed), since my MAT sensor is installed in the intake plenum and not the intake plumbing, but my point is, the heat soak will already have occured.

A turbo that is not spooled (compressing air) does not add any heat to the intake charge, the compression of the air is what adds the heat. Like I said in my last post the intake air temp rose from 118 to 142*F during the run, and then cooled down quite quickly after letting off the throttle. Not all BOVs vent while at idle, infact it is more desirable in most cases that they are closed, at idle, so that when a quick change in throttle position will help with pressurizing the intake tract quicker. Not that most people would noticed the few milliseconds of difference between a BOV that does vent at idle and one that doesn't. Also an open BOV at idle will usually be pulling air IN, not blow it out.

The air passing through the turbo and IC might be slightly warmer than ambiant, only due to heat soak of the turbo, which after looking at the ALDL display showing me intake air temp and using my laser temperature gun to check temp of the compressor housing it would verify the theory that the air is moving through the compressor housing too fast, even at idle to get heated from the warm compressor housing. IIRC the MAT temp display was just over 100*F, and the compressor housing itself was over 140*F. My air filter is attached directly to the front of the compressor withthe exhaust manifold right beside it, that was well over 300*F, so I would say the hot exhaust manifold had more of an influence on air temp at that point than the turbo itself.

Besides, what does it matter how cool the air is at idle?

• 9 months later...
Lol, where else would you put it?

Yea lol. With a stock set up on a zx this was the spot I picked out after I relocated the coil. I responded because of the title question, for reference pouposes for others. I heard concerns about how far away from the T/B it should be, Mine works fine from this spot. :weird:.

Thanks.