HybridZ

Show us your "RUST"!

Jer260Z

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gr8White
:lmao:, naw I didn't. That's what a 240z looks like after you've abused it, driven it in NJ winters (salt), then neglected it, and then improperly repaired the rust. Yep, this is gonna be a challenge. Should be fun.

I'd say if you can remedy this you are a miracle worker, certainly commendable for attempting the rescue. This sort of reminds me of an old Texas joke for cooking Sand Bass to make them "edible"....

Take 2 bricks and "sandwich" the sand bass between the 2 bricks and butter. Place the bricks and fish on an aluminum foil sheet and cover with lemon pepper and Tony's Creole mix. Wrap it all up, put it in the oven @ 350 degrees for 2 hours. When it's finished you get it out, throw away the fish and eat the bricks.

Good luck, take some progress pics!

My car was originally a california car... lucky me. Rust at the battery tray, rear lower quarters and on the underside of the lift gate. That's really it.

Here's my progress: (Thanks to Rags for supplying the sound battery tray area for my repair!!)

9948_thumb.attach

oct 2008 132_thumb.jpg

oct 2008 158_thumb.jpg

IMG_4592_thumb.jpg

oct 2008 160_thumb.jpg

Heres some of the rust on my 83' it goes all the way into the cabin :(

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/The_Emo_Gearhead/The%20v8%20z/?action=view&current=001-1.jpg

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/The_Emo_Gearhead/The%20v8%20z/?action=view&current=002.jpg

Im gonna try and take care of it after i get the engine out.

Ehhh. Thats moderate compared to how mine was. My car is literally in half now :P

I have some Ektrachrome Slides of one of my cars in Japan...Floors? We don't need no stinkin' floors!

And one in Michigan where a tree was growing through the spare tire well, had pushed the hatch glass out, and straightened up. There was another sapling that had come up between the headpipe and the block, and was actually growing around the manifold and SU!

Old 35mm stuff from years ago. One day, I'll start scanning this stuff for posterity... LOL

man i feel blessed to live in cali and have a rust free Z, i really feel for you guys. the only rust i have is a little surface rust on my little battery cover door which is from rubbing up against my hood.

That's all the rust you can SEE anyway, right?

This thread scares me, not only about what's going on inside my beloved '77 Z (it's been in the family since 1985), but also how much time and money a search-and-destroy rust-hunt is going to take. As far as visible rust is concerned, my car is not bad. I already had the "doglegs" ahead of the rear wheels repaired. Not only was the outer skin rusted through, but the 3 layers inside needed cutting out and replacing. There's more rust lurking in the body, just have to find it.

Rust Never Sleeps

Man, I feel for you RTurbo930, did you recover this car from a shipwreck?

Seriously... I know there is love for the Z but just do yourself a favor and scrap it, find another one man. Little rust problems are nightmares and time consuming to fix, the entire body.... just find another chassis.

-Ed

Seriously... I know there is love for the Z but just do yourself a favor and scrap it, find another one man. Little rust problems are nightmares and time consuming to fix, the entire body.... just find another chassis.

-Ed

Easier said than done on the east coast, especially up north.