HybridZ

.40 S&W pistol suggestions

JMortensen

I used to do a lot of IPSC shooting years ago and put about 18,000 rounds through a H&K USP .45. Its one of the early ones imported (serial number around 1,000) and its still going strong. I suggest you look at the .40 S&W version of the gun. Very accurate (beyond my abilities) and the barrel stays clean and true. You can also order it with whatever trigger style you want (SA/DA, DA only, variants).

http://www.hk-usa.com/usp_general.html

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shotguns are an excellent home defense weapon because the shot won't penetrate walls and go into another room, not to mention aiming is less critical.

Lots of different opinions on shotguns as home defense. The LE and DoD trainers I've worked with recommend a shotgun only if you're taking a defensive position behind a bed or something else. Legal length shotguns (18" barrel and unshortened stock) require the shooter to lift the barrel up to turn around in a hallway or tight room and will also blow out your eardrums if used in the same places. And 00 buckshot will fly right through 6 layers of 1/2" drywall and still be lethal.

I've got my shotgun loaded with #8 and then #4. May not be as lethal as buckshot, but I still think it would put somebody down. I do need to get a shorter barrel though. I can't imagine my 20 gauge shotgun being louder than a pistol. My dad's .357 would have my ears ringing after one shot. I could shoot the shotgun quite a few times with no hearing protection before it bothered me.

I'll check out the H&K, thanks.

Go the the gun store and handle both. Buy the one that feels better in your hands.

Have fun.

My recommendation as well. Having owned and shot the Gov't 1911 in 9mm, 38 Super, 38/45 and .45, you would be hard pressed to find a better auto handgun assuming you purchase one of the better quality ones. The DA trigger on an auto with an exposed hammer is un-necessary IMO. Another thing, if you get into reloading, chasing brass can be a drag. I usually shoot sixguns almost exclusively now because of that. Reloading the 9mm is also a drag, most "good" loads are compressed, so the possibility of spilling powder causing inconsistent loads is a problem. I don't know about the .40, short case could be the same. The 9mm is great for burning cheap surplus ammo. The.40 S&W is supposed to be a step up from the 9mm without the punishment of the 10mm.

My .02

And for those discounting the possibility of defending one's family, home and property, remember Col. Cooper's first rule of gunfighting: Have a gun.

I'll check out the H&K, thanks.

Good choice. My friend owns an HK USP; he loves it and won't give it up...even when I tried to pull it from his cold dead fingers... j/k

Seriously, if you don't mind spending money, HK makes some serious hardware. I'll get back into guns as soon as I finish my car. I hope I'm still alive then.

Davy

although I hear that the .357 is insanely loud

It is loud. And the best way I can describe the recoil is "snappy" compared to .40S&W. Those are the reasons I find it entertaining for range shooting. The P250 is worth a look if you're interested in multiple calibers in one gun.

As far as DA vs DA/SA I'd say it's a matter of preference for a range gun. If I wanted a super durable pistol for daily carry I'd probably look at the Glock first between the two. I was looking for a range and home gun when I got the Sig. The grip was more natural for me so I bought that.

An XD is far from accurate in stock form, plain and simple. I own MANY guns, too many to list, but they are most High Powered. Anywhere from 22 LR's to 50 BMG's. I always say, if your gonna just punch paper, go with an accurate gun and not bling. XD, glocks, etc. just feel so cheap, with there composite frame. I would go with a nice kimber if I were you John.

BTW... my nephew carries a H&K USP .45 Tactical in his SEAL jobs around the world. During post BUDS training they swam with the gun in the ocean, buried the gun and their extra mags in the sand, dug it all back up, shot a full magazine into a 2" group at 20 meters, reloaded, and shot a 1" group at 10 meters.

I carry(consealed) my Glock .40 . I like it for its lightness. I also have a Sig 229 .40 . It's a little heavier, but I like its feel. Hell, I like shooting. Seems like .40 amo is cheaper anyway.

Let's just move on with the conversation about what guns I should test. This is a very political subject and I'd like to not ruin the thread discussing why I have what I have or want what I want.

Well the XD for the price is verry accurate, at least mine is. I run a 2" group at 25 yards with it. I have a 1911 that I love and I shoot sub 1" groups with it at 25 yards. 1911's are my favorite pistol, and didn't mention them earlier because he seemed more interested in the polimer framed ones. I have over $2000 in my 1911, and $450 in the XD.

Not particular to the plastic guns, that just seems to be what is out there and popular in my price range. The XDM seems like a good possibility. It comes with a "match barrel", a case and a couple magazines and a crappy looking holster and magazine holder. The standard HK USP looks nice too. I think the tactical version is a bit on the spendy side for me.

2" groups at 25 yards that would make me very happy. I've got other guns for long range shooting.

I've never been a big fan of 1911s. Don't really know why, maybe it was that crappy 45 that kept popping those hot cases on my forehead. That was a 1911 knockoff, and I know it's not fair to compare it to the real thing, but it seems like a good one would cost more than I want to spend anyway.

OK, I have a few guns, I admit it.

When I purchased my first .40, I went to a store with as many different brands as possible. I picked up every .40 and raised it to eye level as if to shoot. Point and shoot style. Believe it or not, the only gun that came up exactly on target each and every time was the Taurus 24/7. This gun was actually cheaper than most. Money was not an issue. However, this gun for me is an auxilary defense weapon. This is a little different than your purpose. I have run quite a few rounds through it with no issues. I have also owned several guns which feed poorly or eject poorly. I have not had that issue with this gun. I would suggest holding a lot of guns to see which ones come up on target, then shooting them.

I agree with your caliber choice too. I own virtually every caliber. I like the .40 because it is just a fun gun to shoot.

BTW, let me guess, it was a Para Ordnance that hit you in the face with the piping hot shells. I used to have one of those too. I also have one of those Colt Custom Combat Commanders. Believe it or not, it would not even feed ball rounds brand new. Feedramp was way too rough. It gets old sending guns back to the factory for issues which they shouldn't have.

BTW, let me guess, it was a Para Ordnance that hit you in the face with the piping hot shells. I used to have one of those too. I also have one of those Colt Custom Combat Commanders. Believe it or not, it would not even feed ball rounds brand new. Feedramp was way too rough. It gets old sending guns back to the factory for issues which they shouldn't have.

No, it was a Llama. Or if you prefer, a POS. It also didn't feed round nose well.

Leaning heavily towards the XDm at this point. Looking at some reviews it seems like accuracy will be on par with the Sig and HK.

I'm very happy with my Springfield Armory 1911. It is the "fully loaded" model.

If I got another .45 it would be a Springfield Armory 1911 OPERATOR, the older model with the full rail. I had a chance a while ago to buy a used one under 1000$, and I missed out. dang.

You can't go wrong with a Glock or XD if you're looking for a self defense firearm.

I haven't had any experience with Sig's other than my .22.

72408004qr1.jpg

I do like the ergonomics of the Sig. I prefer them over a Glock.

ETA. I believe the new XD's are coming with external safeties also now..

Hey John,

I used to shoot IPSC every weekend for several years before I bought my first Z (which subsequently took over my life.) I used one of the less expensive Springfield 1911A1's, which I modified for a slightly lighter load with a different recoil spring.

Out of all the handguns I have owned, it is still the most fun to shoot, by far. Especially ruling out revolvers, it's no contest.

Please don't judge 1911's by your experience with a llama. If you're looking for a fun gun, I beg you - test fire any polymer frame gun you're looking at before purchasing. They are excellent duty weapons or military sidearms - but they're the least fun guns I've ever owned or shot. I have to force myself to stay decent with my Glock, and I really don't enjoy shooting it.

If I were using your criteria to buy a .40, I'd be looking at Paraordnance or Kimber 1911 "style" piece(SA 1911 lineup is almost all .45acp). Paras are very good for the money, and shouldn't be too expensive, relative to what you're looking at.

No, it was a Llama. Or if you prefer, a POS. It also didn't feed round nose well.

A properly massaged 1911 will feed empty cases without any problems. Spending a little money making it function properly is kind of like making a hybrid z or any other car your custom jewel. The fun is in the modifying.

Any copentent gunsmith can make that happen pretty cheaply IMO.

Please don't judge 1911's by your experience with a llama. If you're looking for a fun gun, I beg you - test fire any polymer frame gun you're looking at before purchasing. They are excellent duty weapons or military sidearms - but they're the least fun guns I've ever owned or shot. I have to force myself to stay decent with my Glock, and I really don't enjoy shooting it.

If I were using your criteria to buy a .40, I'd be looking at Paraordnance or Kimber 1911 "style" piece(SA 1911 lineup is almost all .45acp). Paras are very good for the money, and shouldn't be too expensive, relative to what you're looking at.

Thanks Forrest. Have no fear, I will test fire whatever I buy before I put money down. I did shoot a Glock 22 in .40 about 15 years ago and didn't like it much. It had a weird feel on the recoil, like it wiggled back and forth as it rolled back in my hand. Very odd sensation. I remember not liking the trigger too. I haven't fired any of the other plastic guns. Again, plastic is not the motivating factor, and I'm not particularly pro or anti-plastic. If the S&W 4006 was as good a gun as the XDm, it would be on my list. According to the reviews I've read though, it isn't. Plus I'm not even sure they make it anymore. I couldn't find it on the S&W website.

As to the 1911 thing, I will go test fire one. I've heard it suggested too many times not to at this point. I know that a 1911 is potentially more accurate, but it also seems like you need to spend $1500 on one to get those results. Is that incorrect? If not, it really doesn't matter if it fires better or not, I won't be able to afford it. In checking the Para Ordinance website the cheapest full size I saw was about $1100, still about 50% over budget.

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product.php

A Ferrari F40 would be a better car to race than my built up Z, but I'm still building the Z if you get my drift. I appreciate ALL the comments though. Keep them coming, I feel like I'm getting closer...