HybridZ

got my new rear brake kit

just arrived in the mail today, my new rear brake kit from silver mine motors [bajaracer on hbz]. i'll take pics & document the install as well as street & track impressions once i get it all done. part of what helped my decision was a friend just dropped nearly $4,000 on brakes for his 350z-just for the fronts!

so far; quick shipping, good communications during sale, well packaged and effective instructions. all the parts are brand new [vs the reman calipers i have now]. calipers, rotors, mounting hardware and brake lines.

i opted out on the pads as i'll order hawks hp+ to match what i have on the front.

here's a pic of what i received as well as one of my spare 240sx calipers for size comparison. i'll measure the pistons later but there is a noticable difference, also the pads are considerably larger.

gt500_rear_brake_kit.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

add-i am currently running the 240sx rear brake setup on my z, retaining parking brake and it uses a 300zx solid [non-vented] rotor. i found that, even with the prop valve completely open or removed i still can not lock the rear brakes.

i anticipate with this new setup, larger piston as well as larger pads and vented rotors i'll not have the same challenge.

as part of this upgrade, i'll be re-installing my wilwood prop valve.

add-i am currently running the 240sx rear brake setup on my z, retaining parking brake and it uses a 300zx solid [non-vented] rotor. i found that, even with the prop valve completely open or removed i still can not lock the rear brakes.

I had the same issue with the 240sx rear calipers and toyota vented setup in front. I eventually solved it by using a pad with a higher coefficient of friction in the rear to balance it out. But it would be better I think to be able to use the same pad material front and rear so they have more similar thermal characteristics.

I just saw this thread...are those...FORD calipers???

IIRC from an earlier thread, aren't they from a Mustang Cobra?

And since most brakes aren't made by the car manufacturer themselves, I doubt they are made by Ford. They look very similar to the calipers on my wife's Volvo which are made by Ate.

IIRC from an earlier thread, aren't they from a Mustang Cobra?

And since most brakes aren't made by the car manufacturer themselves, I doubt they are made by Ford. They look very similar to the calipers on my wife's Volvo which are made by Ate.

I would have a guess and say that they are PBR, which makes alot of stuff for GM and Ford. Do look like nice calipers!

I had the same issue with the 240sx rear calipers and toyota vented setup in front. I eventually solved it by using a pad with a higher coefficient of friction in the rear to balance it out. But it would be better I think to be able to use the same pad material front and rear so they have more similar thermal characteristics.

i went to diff compounds-hawk hps up front and more aggressive hp+ in the rear-still didn't do the trick.

Eagerly waiting to see more photos/results.

Can you give us some detailed measurements on the rotor?

measurements for the brake setups:

240sx s13 [89-94]-piston 1 5/16", rotor 11 3/8" dia & 3/8" thick-solid

silvermine [gt500]-piston 1 5/8", rotor 11 13/16" dia & 3/4" thick-vented

once i have the new pads i'll post measurements of those as well. i didn't order pads as i'm going with the same front & rear, hawk hp+. they seem to work pretty well on the track for me. will also post pics of the old vs. new [on car] as well as comments and feedback after the snow thaws and i get the z back on the road!

silvermine [gt500]-piston 1 5/8", rotor 11 13/16" dia & 3/8" thick-vented

3/8" sounds a little thin for a vented rotor...sure its not 3/4"??

according to this: http://www.dba.com.au/2006/PDF_CATALOGUE/Catalogue_AUST/2008_AUSTCatalogue_01102008.pdf

both the V6 and the V8 Mustangs ran a 300x19 rotor. (pretty close to 11 13/16" x 3/4")

and the GT500 ran a 330x20.7

now I'm just confused...

3/8" sounds a little thin for a vented rotor...sure its not 3/4"??

now I'm just confused...

hmm, late at night, was up early, couldn't read my own handwriting...yes, you're correct they are 3/4 not 3/8 thick. thanks for the catch, i edited the post as well.